Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I get it going faster??? (Read 356 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: How do I get it going faster???
Reply #15 - 03/22/09 at 07:05:23

The simple fact of high altitude automatically reduces available power, too. The power your engine makes is a direct function of the air it burns. Air density decreases about 3% per thousand feet of altitude above sea level. Thus, at 5000 feet (Denver) the air density is 15% less, and the engine will produce 15% less power even if the fuel mixture is correct. When you crest the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 you are at 11000 feet; the air is 33% less dense, and your engine makes only 2/3 of its sea level power.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #16 - 03/22/09 at 09:34:31

Gary On A Savage wrote on 03/21/09 at 22:51:53:
Charon wrote on 03/21/09 at 07:34:35:
You are already riding at relatively high altitude. The "white spacer mod" is designed to make the air-fuel mixture richer, by allowing a little more fuel to flow. High altitude means less dense air, which itself richens the mixture. That "white spacer mod" might be too much of a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing.  When I hit the mountains (Sierra Nevada's) I climb 5000 feet or so.  The bike really starves for air.  I'm thinking you might want to look at getting it more air before fuel.  Maybe start with the de-snorkle, change to Oldfeller's nu-foam filter, or even a pod filter.  

Bingo!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 03/23/09 at 06:08:58

Charon wrote on 03/21/09 at 07:34:35:
You are already riding at relatively high altitude. The "white spacer mod" is designed to make the air-fuel mixture richer, by allowing a little more fuel to flow. High altitude means less dense air, which itself richens the mixture. That "white spacer mod" might be too much of a good thing.

I thought the vacuum diaphragm in the carb was suppose to compensate for the altitude thing.......  Huh

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:14:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I get it going faster???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.