Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I get it going faster??? (Read 356 times)
behappyshorty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

How do I get it going faster???
03/20/09 at 15:11:36

I just got my 2006 s40.  LOVE IT!  

I want it to go a little faster and I need suggestions.  Are there certain things you could change to get a little more performance without too much trouble?  

So far the baffle has been taken out and I'm trying to decide on a new carb jet kit to purchase.  I live in the rockies so it makes a difference how rich I need to make it cause it is backfiring a little now that the baffle is gone.

All I can think to do is try changing the exhaust, air filter, and carb jets.  But I'm not sure which one of those are best or if there is anythine else I can do.  Let me know guys.  Thanks!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: How do I get it going faster???
Reply #1 - 03/20/09 at 15:58:06

Look in the table of contents in the tech section. Lots of modification information there.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 03/20/09 at 16:48:19

By far the easiest is to trade it for a faster bike. The question begs itself, though - bearing in mind the S40 will exceed every legal speed limit in the States, how much faster do you want to go?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 03/20/09 at 17:08:11

In the Rockies?.... Just ride downhill,...  much faster downhill...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/20/09 at 18:02:15

Your engine is not a big engine with gobs of untapped potential just waiting to be unleashed by a simple mod or two.  A great example of this was my brother's '79 Trans Am with the Oldsmobile Rocket 403 engine that was so choked up in order to meet emission requirements that it came out of the factory with only 195hp.  Without spending much money, relative to the cost of the car, you could just about double the hp.  A new carb and headers took care of that.  With that said, you can accomplish some pretty significant power gains on your bike quickly if spending money is no object.  But I figure you, like many of us on here, probably wouldn't have an LS650 as a primary bike if money were no object.  That leaves you where most of us are at- figuring out how to get the most power through low $$$ mods that we can do in our garages and workshops.  There are actually lots of little mods that can be done to your S40, each adding a little bit of power, responsiveness or both.  The collctive sum of all those little mods can really wake up the engine.   For instance, I'm currently working on a DIY intake project that when combined with good carb tuning has thus far shown pretty impressive gains for low $$$.  

You mentioned that the baffle was taken out of the muffler.  I'm fairly certain more sound than power was gained by that mod.  At least that would be the case at my elevation in Alabama.  A better designed exhaust would prove more effective.  The members on here that have had success with power mods appear to have a good grasp of engine fundamentals such as air flow, fuel mixture, friction, back pressure, etc., that either they already knew or learned by research on the net and shooting questions to other members.  So it looks like you are on the right track in that respect.  Like Al said, check out the Tech Section, especially Carbs 101 and the white spacer mod links.  Those will help you figure out which carb jets to get.

For every mod you have 4 options- the cheapest, the most effective, the easiest to do, and the costliest.  Anytime you can do a mod that includes the first three, you've hit a home run in my book.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 03/20/09 at 18:35:23

Serowbot wrote on 03/20/09 at 17:08:11:
In the Rockies?.... Just ride downhill,...  much faster downhill...

I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT!  Smiley  I live in the Rockies, too.  Half of each trip is as fast as I want it to be.  Can't beat a 50% average, can you?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #6 - 03/20/09 at 18:54:40

I'd agree that you are only going to get so much out of this bike but..

Some things to look into are the white spacer mod, get some jets from Lancer, check out a different exhaust (Dyna, etc), find the mixture screw, think about a different air intake.

My last option is to loose some weight, but that would require drinking less beer, so its not really an option.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #7 - 03/20/09 at 19:00:15

Also, turning this counterclockwise helps.  

Smiley

IP Logged
behappyshorty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/21/09 at 05:13:16

So from your post I'm getting...change air intake, exhaust, jets on carb, mess with mixture screw, something to do with "white spacer mod",  ride downhill, and lose some weight.  
Is that accurate?

Well it's acutally the uphill I was worried about, flat or downhill it has plenty of power for me.

I have no idea what a "white spacer mod" is...please enlighten me.

I am 5'3" 125lb woman so I'm willing to lose 5lbs but not too much more.

The rest are actually things I was thinking about changing.  So, I'll look at the technical page and see what the best suggestions are.

Oh, and I'll remember to pull back on the throttle, thanks for reminding me! Smiley

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 03/21/09 at 06:16:27

You've got a great sense of humor.  Cool!  You'll fit in just perfect here.  I've been impressed with the content and conduct on this site.  It's been a great resource for me.

Check out and do the white spacer mod and idle mixture screw mod first.  All other stuff will really only benefit after these two mods are done.  

I just checked and Tech Section and the TOC Idle Mixture Screw thread is missing a picture.  Do searches for these mods.  The most effective way I've found to search is to click the "Search" tab above, type the words or phrase, select "any poster", select "all posts" and sometimes it helps to deselect "subject" in the fields to search option.  

Members, any of you know where good threads with pics for these mods are?

IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #10 - 03/21/09 at 06:19:47

just do a search in tech documents for "white spacer mod" or carb tuning  you'll find way more than one things to look at.  And as far as going a whole lot faster you bought the wrong bike for that, like most of these guys have said a little faster is possible and i'm sure some people on here will disagree with that last statement but don't get me wrong for a little single cylinder 650 the savage gets up and moves plenty for me.  Had a SV650 before this and I guess i got all my stupid speed out of me, now i'm older and would rather have comfort.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 03/21/09 at 06:57:40

my 06 and i reside in the rockies also
never had an issue going up or down hill
i live at 4500' elev have been up and over 10 k passes and never a lack of power..as far as speed goes for me 85mph is when this lil scoot gets a lil lite feeling
the worst was coming back from farminton thru durango up to silverton then on
to montrose
on the streach between durango and silverton we couldnt get above 25 mph
happpened to be a bike race that day!!!
ride with the hardley and other v twin crowd never an issue,have suprised more than one of them with suzis' roll on power  Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 03/21/09 at 07:27:24

also:
what is faster?
quicker off the line?
higher top speed?
Undecided

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 03/21/09 at 07:34:35

You are already riding at relatively high altitude. The "white spacer mod" is designed to make the air-fuel mixture richer, by allowing a little more fuel to flow. High altitude means less dense air, which itself richens the mixture. That "white spacer mod" might be too much of a good thing.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #14 - 03/21/09 at 22:51:53

Charon wrote on 03/21/09 at 07:34:35:
You are already riding at relatively high altitude. The "white spacer mod" is designed to make the air-fuel mixture richer, by allowing a little more fuel to flow. High altitude means less dense air, which itself richens the mixture. That "white spacer mod" might be too much of a good thing.

I was thinking the same thing.  When I hit the mountains (Sierra Nevada's) I climb 5000 feet or so.  The bike really starves for air.  I'm thinking you might want to look at getting it more air before fuel.  Maybe start with the de-snorkle, change to Oldfeller's nu-foam filter, or even a pod filter.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I get it going faster???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.