Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
adjusted valves... and its louder (Read 323 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
adjusted valves... and its louder
03/19/09 at 18:47:02

I adjusted the valves (twice) and put them at about .004" and now theres some heavy lugging along with the normal click.  I adjusted at TDC after the intake valves close and I've been riding it around for about 10 miles or so and it hasn't exploded... but it just seems to be louder than it was before I adjusted and its enough to cause me a good deal of concern.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: adjusted valves... and its louder
Reply #1 - 03/19/09 at 18:52:59

Do you have a cone air filter?If so, that may be the way it is supposed to sound and the valves were possibly too tight prior to your adjustment.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/19/09 at 22:23:40

Might this be a problem due to the loose cam chain?

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 03/20/09 at 08:40:19

thats what I was considering... I'm probably going to leave it parked till the camchainclub meeting... hopefully i can get another 25 miles out of it  Undecided

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - 03/20/09 at 21:11:48

Bobbert wrote on 03/19/09 at 18:47:02:
I adjusted the valves (twice) and put them at about .004" and now theres some heavy lugging along with the normal click.  I adjusted at TDC after the intake valves close and I've been riding it around for about 10 miles or so and it hasn't exploded... but it just seems to be louder than it was before I adjusted and its enough to cause me a good deal of concern.

Remove the timing plug to locate TDC on the compression stroke.  The other TDC is the top of the exhaust stroke.  Check the rockers by hand (finger) for some movement between the rocker and the valve and you will be right on if the pointer is aligned in the timing window exactly with the cutout in the cover.  Always rotate ccw (counter clockwise) when turning the crankshaft (17mm hex socket) the normal rotation of the engine. Don't reverse direction if the indicator is off just rotate around again twice.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 03/21/09 at 05:57:38

I don't know what your chain is up to, but I remember thinking my bike would soon explode after I adjusted my valves the first time.  When I opened it up, I couldn't get the .002" feeler in any of the four.  When I was done, it sounded like machine gun fire to me.  That was thousands of miles ago, and it's still ticking.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/21/09 at 08:26:11

Bobbert is a friend of mine.  We put in a verslagen 1 holer last year and it's run out of adjustment.  and he's noted that and opened her up for visual confirmation.

BTW, I taught him to adjust his valves.  He picked it up fast, which was good cause after I did one I was ready to collapse.  After doin' his cam chain with him, I was fadin' rapidly.  Came down with somthin'.

So I trust his opinion, is he says so, it's loud.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 03/21/09 at 15:13:20

Bobbert,

If you open it back up, I'll bet you find Verslagen's wrist watch in there banging around.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 03/21/09 at 15:29:26

LMAO!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/21/09 at 16:52:49

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 03/21/09 at 15:13:20:
Bobbert,

If you open it back up, I'll bet you find Verslagen's wrist watch in there banging around.

Shocked  Bobbert, I need to see you soon, my watch needs a new battery.  I've been running late for the last 6 months.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #10 - 03/22/09 at 07:11:20

Bobbert wrote on 03/19/09 at 18:47:02:

I checked the valve lash yesterday on my 2008 S40.  I guess Suzuki refer to it as the "first service".  Here is what I found.  Both exhaust valves measured .003" and both intake valves measured .002".  Those thicknesses are measurable but difficult due to the paper thin feeler gage.  I left all settings as I found them.  The intake are perhaps a tad close but with the insurance factor that the clearances will increase by .004" at running temperature they should be just fine and especially the intake running cooler.  The re-torquing of the cylinder head I left alone, perhaps at another time.  Lets see what happens if anything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/22/09 at 10:54:36

Suz IQ, mine has over 18,000 miles & the head has never been retorqued. I dont know if that means its really not important, or if I just got lucky, I INtended to do it, when I did the cam chainm, but I had it nearly all back together & realized I forgot it & said to Hekk Wiffitt..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SuziQ

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oshawa, Ontario Canada
Reply #12 - 03/23/09 at 05:58:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/22/09 at 10:54:36:
Suz IQ, mine has over 18,000 miles & the head has never been retorqued. I dont know if that means its really not important, or if I just got lucky, I INtended to do it, when I did the cam chainm, but I had it nearly all back together & realized I forgot it & said to Hekk Wiffitt..

Justin, I'll be watching mine closely.  The head bolts (4) are 9 mm diameter studs with hex acorn nuts with AF dimensions of 14mm hex.  The 9 mm are special metric sizes, difficult to find and probably made for Suzuki as a speciality item.  Perhaps there was limited space for a  10mm or even a 12 mm fastener and this 9mm comprimises the clamp load of the cylinder head to the cylinder block.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 03/29/09 at 11:06:00

A little addition-

Normally valves "click."  I can hear this clicking in my engine.  Now there's a sound I would best describe as knocking.  It may be coming from the exhaust valves.

I was thinking... I never adjusted the slack on the decomp controller cable.  Could this be causing the exhaust valves to hit the piston in a way that would create this noise?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/29/09 at 11:14:48

Bobbert wrote on 03/29/09 at 11:06:00:
I was thinking... I never adjusted the slack on the decomp controller cable.  Could this be causing the exhaust valves to hit the piston in a way that would create this noise?

I think the decomp just opens the exhaust just enough not to seat.  We can look at it when you're here.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 14:57:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › adjusted valves... and its louder

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.