Send Topic Print
I need new tires (Read 458 times)
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Re:  I need new tires
Reply #15 - 05/13/09 at 11:05:38

I never had any "problems" with the stock IRCs.  But once the rear got slick, I bought the Dunlops to replace.  WOW, what a difference.  It feels like a completely different bike, with regard to handling in turns, rain grooves and otherwise crappy road surfaces.  With the IRCs some of the raingrooves were absolutely white-knuckle.  No problems whatsoever now.  Maybe I'll go with some Metzlers next time around and get another epiphany.  The Dunlop is a little wider than than the IRC, too.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #16 - 05/13/09 at 12:28:27

Hard Corps wrote on 05/13/09 at 11:05:38:
I never had any "problems" with the stock IRCs.  But once the rear got slick, I bought the Dunlops to replace.  WOW, what a difference.  It feels like a completely different bike, with regard to handling in turns, rain grooves and otherwise crappy road surfaces.  With the IRCs some of the raingrooves were absolutely white-knuckle.  No problems whatsoever now.  Maybe I'll go with some Metzlers next time around and get another epiphany.  The Dunlop is a little wider than than the IRC, too.

I had the same experience going to the D404's. They were wider but were the best deal locally. I would think the Route66 or Metzlers would be a good deal if you plan on putting the miles on, but I needed something affordable, and the D404 was only 15 more per set than the Chen Shin at the local shops.

Just got two 404s for the wifes S40, got a steal at the stealership (Of all places) Front $64.95, rear $85.00.

-word of note, I seem to get less "flickability" with the wider rear tire, most of our miles are Texas highways so it's not a big deal, but keep that in mind if you live in the mountains.

-VHFKID

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #17 - 05/13/09 at 15:26:19

Interesting about the tire width.  All are the nominal 140 mm width, but IRC GS-18 lists their rear tire's actual width as 128mm (5.04"), and Dunlop D404 is listed as 5.85".  I don't know if they're measuring at the same point.  Pirelli lists the maximum width of their 140/90-15 MT66 Route tire as 151mm (5.94"...can that be right?  Their 150 is listed as 157 mm).  Metzeler does not list a width for their ME 880 Marathon.  By the way, Metzeler is a Pirelli brand,  bought out in 1986.

A couple of interesting pages on the Metzeler web site about tire pressures and tire upgrades:
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/tire_pressures/default.page
Quote:
Always inflate tires to the correct pressure as indicated in the owner's manual. However Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation.

Then, they show recommended tire pressures for the ME 880:
ME880      Solo      2 Up Light      2 Up Heavy
Front      38-40      40-42      40-42
Rear      44-46      46-48      48-50
But, the IRC GS-18 has a max pressure of 41 psi.

About tire upgrades:
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com/web/products/upgrade_options/default.page
Quote:
STAGE 1 UPGRADE:
Larger ME880 rear tire on OEM size wheel with no modifications to the motorcycle.

Except they don't recommend an undersized wheel, and both Pirelli's 140 and 150 have a recommended wheel width of 3.0"...our rear wheels are 2.75" wide.  Also keep in mind that a bigger diameter tire will give an effective higher gear ratio.  The stock GS-18 140/80-15 has an outside diameter of 612mm.  The MT66 140/90-15 has an O.D. of 629mm, and the 150/90-15 has an O.D. of 653mm, about 7% bigger for about a 7% reduction in engine rpm and about 7% reduction of power (very rough estimate of the power loss).  Top speed may not be helped if our bikes run out of power before they run out of rpms.

By the way, here's what the tire sizes mean for anyone who doesn't know:  
140/80-15 M/C 67H
140 = the nominal width of the tire body in millimeters.
80 = the percentage of the tire body height to the width.  (70 is a lower tire of the same width, 90 is a taller tire of the same width, etc.)
15 = the wheel diameter in inches.
M/C = Motorcycle tire
67 = Load Index = 677# for these tires
H = speed rating, not over 130 mph for "H"
Also, the last four digits of the DOT code impressed into the sidewall of the tire show the week and year of manufacture.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 05/13/09 at 16:07:31

Digging deeper into the Metzler site (on the fitment chart for the S40 or Savage):

ME 880 Marathon      ME 880 Marathon
Front 100/90 - 19 M/C 57H TL ME 880 MARATHON Front - 36 PSI
Rear  140/80 B 15 M/C 67H TL ME 880 MARATHON - 40 PSI

A lot of us have run 140/90-15 on various makes of tire, simply because the 140/80-15 is not as widely available.
The problem most noted is rubbing on the bolts when saddle bag brackets are installed.  I found that out the hard way when I was running Dunlop 404s.

The Pirelli specs show for the LS650
Chart  Page 34
100/90-19 57H TL MT66 2.15(rim) 32/42 PSI
140/90-15 70H TL MT66 2.75(rim) 38/42 PSI

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/13/09 at 23:18:44

I prefere the dunlop 404s I had before. I think the wider tires made tight corners feel more "smooth". With the cheng shins im running now it feels kind of twitchy in a hard corner.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #20 - 05/14/09 at 00:12:14

I mounted IRC Wildflares last fall, new front and rear, put a 150/80  on the back - great grip, even in the rain.  Had to ride home last month from work in the rain and in the dark - ain't scared of the water anymore.   Grin Grin

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 06/23/09 at 21:50:13

Although my Savage is my "daily rider" (I don't own a cage), I put less than 2000 miles on it a year (I use it strictly for local duty - most trips are very short).

If you're like me, you may want to consider just staying with the OEM IRC tires.  If I get a high quality tire, it will age out before I can wear it out.  That would be a waste of rubber.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 06/24/09 at 03:41:11

As for as tire pressure I would stay with what Suzuki says,The S40 is a light bike,You know the tire companies don't test their tires on all the bikes made.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #23 - 06/24/09 at 07:04:09

"By the way, here's what the tire sizes mean for anyone who doesn't know:  H = speed rating, not over 130 mph for "H"

Hey, ya'll let me know when the tire needs to be anything over a 110 rating for our Savage!  Grin

Recently I had my AC unit break down, and here that is a big deal in summer, so the tire purchase is on hold for a bit.  But I sincerely appreciate all the feedback, and printed it out for the purchase reference.  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:17:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need new tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.