Send Topic Print
Getting it fixed (Read 141 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Getting it fixed
03/19/09 at 12:09:07

Hey guys, I've got an upcoming dilema. My bike is my primary vehicle that I ride daily.
I'm coming up on new tires and rear brakes, which I am not going to do by myself.

The local Suzuki repair shop closed down (thank you tanked economy) this winter. The next nearest place is an hour away and I dont feel comfortable leaving my bike anywhere overnight or longer and I am worried about being taken advantage of (oh, well you need this too, and it really costs this much more, and we had to use this particular part, blah blah blah). I have no truck or way to take my bike there in any case.

I plan to purchase the new battery, tires and brakes myself.
Does anyone know of who I can ask for help with getting the tires replaced and the brakes done?  I am totally willing to help do it, but most of it is beyond my physical capability.

Ideas welcome and encouraged. Thanks all!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Getting it fixed
Reply #1 - 03/19/09 at 12:41:08

If you take the wheels off and take them in, a decent bike shop should be and to swap tires in 10 to 15 minutes per wheel.    A Honda or Yamaha dealer shoudl do it for you (remember to smile... you have such a nice smile in you pict's)......   You do have a MC dealer near  Huh .... or do you live that far out in the bonnies????

Most likely the front brake is all you'll need to do.  And,  you should be able to do that yourself.   17mm socket or wrench to get the caliber off ( the thing that hold the pads) then a metric allen wrench (hex wrench) to take out the retainer bolt.     First time, figure 1 to 2 hours.   Second time 30 minutes, third time 10 to 15 minutes....   I've done enough brakes and ours are so simple that  I could probably do a quick swap in 5 minutes...

Rear brakes,....  to check, look at the wear indicator on the housing.   the manuals tell you how that works.   If they need changing, you need to take the wheel off.     Do it when you do the tires.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 03/19/09 at 12:43:58

New Bern is by winston salem ?
I am in charlotte but I cant do anything outside of my house I'm not a mobile mechanic ... heck I am not a mechanic at all, I'm a software engineer.
So to have the brakes done by the nuttiest software engineer you can bring it by.
Tires almost need to be removed and done @ a shop.
Oh wait you dont have a truck. Yes that could be trouble.

Dont blame the tanked economy for the dealers' death, Blame their overhead, their exorbitant shop rates and their outrageous mark up's on parts which they only stock for the high $$$ bikes.
And oh yea, they buy closeout inventories from dead dealers for pennies on the $ and then try to hock it for top $, like we're the suckers of the century.
If people in atlanta didn't buy this crap for list $, why do you think people in charlotte will pay list $ for a 2 year old bike.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 03/19/09 at 12:46:30

Oh crap, no center stand on the savage.
Tires gonna be hard, you ahve to string it up from the rafters.
I have a free standing setup, cos I dont got no rafters.
A big tree with low branches will work.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #4 - 03/19/09 at 12:57:11

The front brakes are no problem - they are newish, and I replaced them myself last year. I actually posted pics of how bad the stock brakes were...and they wore out in less than a year. Stock on the left, new on the right...yep, worn right down to the bare metal.

So I guess that made me think the rear brakes lifespan would be short too.  As for centerstand issues - I tie her to the back porch with bungee cords and use 4x4s as props.

Tires - the nearest shop is a HD dealer...and they are NOT nice to me; I've tried. I think I could get the front wheel off by myslef, but not the back one. It takes me forever to get bolts and nuts off this bike, even with an impact wrench and lots of bad language.

New Bern right next to the Outer Banks of NC; as far East as you can go without falling into the Atlantic.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 03/19/09 at 13:05:53

Outer banks. Ohhhh Forget it. Love the area though. Was there in 07 about this time.
Maybe I have to go through there sometime in a few months, wifey is a lighthouse nut.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/19/09 at 13:10:14

You may have a set of bad brake pad slider pins.
10K miles from a set of pads is about average.
The static pad is the one that is bad, the one that is to the inside right ?
I hate that single action caliper design. It never happens that lopsided with dual opposed calipers.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #7 - 03/19/09 at 13:13:00

There really shouldnt be any bolts on the bike you can't get off yourself with a regular long handled ratchet.  Unless you have a good compressor (Meaning not likely from walmart) you will get more power from your hands and ratchet.  I have a walmart compressor and impact wrench and its useless.  I usually use a hand impact wrench with a hammer and/or a regular ratchet.

Considering your bike is an 06 I wouldnt think any bolts are really frozen up on you.  There has to be someone in the area that can give you a hand.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 03/19/09 at 13:52:01

I remember your front brake pict.  It made me look at mine which needed replacing.  

For the rear......

Look at the wear indicator...

Picture courtesy of Clymers

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 03/19/09 at 13:53:23

Mortation wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:13:00:
Considering your bike is an 06 I wouldnt think any bolts are really frozen up on you.  There has to be someone in the area that can give you a hand.

Its not that the bolts are frozen quite the opposite - they are factory tightened still, and even with my impact tools it is REALLY difficult for me.  And I'm leary of asking for help because I dont want anything broken or damaged.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 03/19/09 at 13:55:09

srinath wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:10:14:
You may have a set of bad brake pad slider pins.
10K miles from a set of pads is about average.
The static pad is the one that is bad, the one that is to the inside right ?
Srinath.

Um, nope, that is ONE side stock brake pad next to the NEW one right out of the package. Both front brake pads were that worn down. Yeah...the hellish metalic squeal finally made me give in and change those out myself! Cheesy

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #11 - 03/19/09 at 13:57:24

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:52:01:
I remember your front brake pict.  It made me look at mine which needed replacing.  
For the rear look at the wear indicator...Picture courtesy of Clymers

I did that and I have both the manual and the CD, but ummm....well I cant tell. Mine is near the middle. Does that mean I need to replace soon?

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #12 - 03/19/09 at 14:03:16

skatnbnc wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:53:23:
Its not that the bolts are frozen quite the opposite - they are factory tightened still, and even with my impact tools it is REALLY difficult for me.  And I'm leary of asking for help because I dont want anything broken or damaged.

Unfortunately even at the "pro" shops things can get broken and damaged.  The sad thing is they still make you pay for it!

I usually do all my own work, this bike is the first bike I have owned that I paid anyone to do anything and that was to swap my tires while I was at work.  If you know someone who knows what they are doing they should be able to help you without messing anything up.

If you are just worried about them trying to up-sell something don't let them.  Just bring it in have them swap the tires and if they say it needs something else post here for advice.

After I had my tires put on the shop guy told me I should look at my carb because it was leaking out the over flow.  I said thanks, I know, waiting for the gasket to come in the mail and that was that.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #13 - 03/19/09 at 18:44:49

I'm inclined to think that there should be a place called "Mikey's Diesel and Sandwich Shop" or something similar in your town.  A lot of these shade tree guys are sharper than the dealers, and work cheaper because they don't have the high overhead.  Take your manual along, so he can refer to it if necessary.

Another option would be to take it down to the local high school.  Put on your prettiest damsel-in-distress "gollygeewhiz can you fix it?" face, and watch the boys line up with their tools in their hands.

Or, ride it up here to Montana, and I'll fix it for free for ya'.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 03/19/09 at 18:46:46

skatnbnc wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:57:24:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/19/09 at 13:52:01:
For the rear look at the wear indicator...Picture courtesy of Clymers

I did that and I have both the manual and the CD, but ummm....well I cant tell. Mine is near the middle. Does that mean I need to replace soon?

Well....  according to the book, as long as it is within the lines it is ok.    

When I changed my tire last year (1 K miles ago) my rear brakes were really good.  My indicator is on the right side of the marks now.

So....  you can wait till you do the tire.

---
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting it fixed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.