Send Topic Print
wiring.... (Read 146 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
wiring....
03/15/09 at 20:53:21

Ok so Im gonna use the simplified wire diagram in the TECH section... what gauge wire do I need... IE... for ground, hot, things of that nature...

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: wiring....
Reply #1 - 03/16/09 at 06:03:11

You might be a little more explicit about what you are trying to do. Except for the starter wiring you can probably use 16 gauge wire for pretty much everything. If you are going to combine a lot of circuits onto one wire you might use 14 gauge. The ground (return) wire needs to be just as big as the supply wire. You will need to make sure to run a ground wire between the fork assembly and the frame, or else you are depending on the conductivity of the greased head bearings. Electrically, it is better to use return wires and not depend on the frame for anything. The body and frame is used for a return in cars because it is cheaper and easier, not because it is better.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 03/16/09 at 06:13:31

20 amp fuse = #12 awg
15 amp fuse = #14 awg

« Last Edit: 03/16/09 at 17:29:30 by thumperclone »  

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #3 - 03/16/09 at 08:01:05

hey thanks guys!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #4 - 03/17/09 at 08:50:59

so.... I am gonna need some help with the wiring... like a foreign language! Good thing I speak a coupld but darn!

dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/17/09 at 10:23:08

It's not that hard. I kinda speak copper language Smiley If you gonna use the simplified diagram, there's really mostly cutting wires and getting rid of them. Unless you want to move components around. What exactly do you need? What do you want to get as the final result?

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #6 - 03/17/09 at 10:54:56

I have my harness pulled off and labeled... I am trying to figure out which of the wires coming out of the the ignition switch is for the park lights so I can use that the starter switch... and then go from there... I want to run one lead and one ground and splice everything off that... will it work?

Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 03/17/09 at 11:42:41

The parking light wire is not just the parking light - it is also the running taillight. When the ignition switch is put into Park it connects the battery line to the taillight and disconnects everything else. So if you connect the starter relay to that, the starter will run but the ignition will be off. You should be able to get an Off-On-Start switch off pretty much any riding lawn mower with electric start, if that's the idea. I presume you intend to disconnect or bypass the clutch, kickstand, and neutral safety interlocks, too. For that, you are on your own. I will not advise anyone on bypassing safeties, as I think it rather foolhardy to do so.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 03/17/09 at 11:44:50

too late...already bipassed... ie removed... been riding that way for a while now! I am looking at the wiring diagram from the techsection to get rid of my decomp sylenid and relay....

Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #9 - 03/17/09 at 20:11:32

well pulled the ol' Savage Bible out I downloaded.... well I have succesfully rewired the bike... even though it looks like nuts... it works for what I need! I am almost done with the Ultimate RAT SAVAGE!

thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 03/17/09 at 20:16:25

am courious how you by passed the de comp..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #11 - 03/17/09 at 20:32:43

I kept it for now! I will get rid of it later!

T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 03/18/09 at 18:14:10

Chopped wrote on 03/17/09 at 20:32:43:
I kept it for now! I will get rid of it later!

You will need to release compression or kiss the starter goodbye.  

I suggest you look at the Enduro bikes.  A lot of them use a manual thumb lever on the handle bar (clutch lever side).    I know my friend's Yamaha XT 550  had a fairly small almost hidden one.   I think is was a 1984 or was it  '82 or '83.....  hmmm somewher around there.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:22:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wiring....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.