Send Topic Print
Brakes!!!! (Read 286 times)
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Brakes!!!!
03/15/09 at 20:51:10

So... switch to steel brake lines.... put new fluid in... pumped 1000 times... tried bleeding... nothing... kep pumping and still nothing... I may just be retarded... any sugestions?

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Brakes!!!!
Reply #1 - 03/15/09 at 22:35:05

If you drain all the fluid out it's hard to get it started again.

You might want to crack open the banjo's and get fluid up to that point and tighten it back up.  I think I just removed the bleeder and used my finger to shut it off while releasing the lever.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/15/09 at 22:51:25

If you can figure a way to get some pressure on top of the fluid in the master cylinder to get it going into the piston area then you'll start picking up. I would want the calliper loaded with fluid, & the hose full. If you can do that & open the pads up, that will drive fluid UP the hose & into the M/C piston area.Then it will be primed & will [pump fluid again. OR, like I first said, pressure on top. Be careful & dont spray brake fluid on the paint, or in yer eye,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 03/15/09 at 22:52:36

I've had a struggle getting fluid without any air bubbles in my long brake lines a few times too. There are several things you can try besides the standard old squeeze lever- close fitting- release lever - open fitting - squeeze lever method.

I'm about ready to give up and buy one of those little grease gun pistol looking tools that are made especially for the job. Save a lot of frustration if you do this job often.

Otherwise: One old poor-boy tricks is; a piece of plastic or rubber tubing just big enough to fit over the brake bleeder valve; and run it down into a bottle with a bit of clean brake fluid in the bottom. That way you can watch the air bubbles as they get pushed through the tubing, and the fluid level in the bottle keeps you from sucking any air back into the system. Oh... and you can pinch the tubing alternatively while pumping the lever to keep the fluid moving downward only. That way you don't have to open and close the fitting a couple of hundred times...  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 23:10:47

If the mastercylinder has a bubble in the piston & the fluid wont fall into the chamber to be displaced & go down the tube, then all the pumping & fitting twisting in the world wont make it work, gotta get the fluid to drop into that chamber.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #5 - 03/16/09 at 03:53:47

Connect the bleeder hose, leave the bleeder open and let it be. In a few minutes it'll bleed itself and fluid starts tickling down the bleeder hose. Then the usual close - squeeze - open - close routine. Finally I move the pistons in and out a few times to pump any aerated fluid upwards towards the master cylinder. Seems to give slightly better lever feel.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 03/16/09 at 04:07:49

Put the tubing on the bleeder,pump up as normal,apply vacuum(suck Grin),crack open bleeder.Repeat.
Seriously this works.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 03/16/09 at 04:22:13

two approaches.  put the new line on the master first and fill down to the other end before attaching to the caliper.  Messy but it helps.  Or more preferred approach is to assemble as you have and then take a good hard look at there the highest point it.  If you have pull back bars it is most likely bolt right on the master cyclinder.  At that point what I do is fill up the master, put the lid on tight and then unbolt it from the handle bar.  Tip the master around until the bolt is not the high spot but the rest of the master is and then pump with short little strokes.  what you are trying to do is work the bubble up out of the line and through the tiny return hole in the bottom of the master reservoir.  If you absolutely can't get anywhere then I would bolt it back up and wrap a rag around the top bolt (cover the tank and front fender with plastic) and while squeezing the brake lever crack the top line bolt loose and listen for a hiss.  Tightlen it before you let off the brake lever.  repeat if neccessary.  This is one way to get air out of that bolt.  Messy though.

WWW   IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #8 - 03/16/09 at 06:18:58

When replacing brake lines you have completely drained the system.  To get the fluid back down the lines the easiest thing to do is go to your auto store and buy a cheap "one man" bleeding kit.  Its like $5 or you can get a nice pump for $20 - $30.  

You need this bleeding kit or pump to suck the fluid down the lines.  Make sure you don't run out of fluid while doing this or you will be starting over Smiley

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #9 - 03/16/09 at 08:10:05

awesome... thanks for all the tips guys... I am taken a break for most of the day but will re attack later this afternoon! Will show pics of my latest creation.. the Ultimate Rat Monster!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 03/16/09 at 10:14:47

I wonder,,, could a guy get a jar & stick 2 hoses thru the lid( have to seal that off.... one goes to the vac on the carb, the other goes to the bleeder on the front brake, fire that dude up, let the vac suck the fluid down, all YOU gotta do is keep the brake fluid reservoir full..? You spose that'd work?
Yea, have to put it on prime,,,but so whut?

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #11 - 03/16/09 at 10:24:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/16/09 at 10:14:47:
I wonder,,, could a guy get a jar & stick 2 hoses thru the lid( have to seal that off.... one goes to the vac on the carb, the other goes to the bleeder on the front brake, fire that dude up, let the vac suck the fluid down, all YOU gotta do is keep the brake fluid reservoir full..? You spose that'd work?
Yea, have to put it on prime,,,but so whut?

Theoretically that would work I guess.  I wouldn't try it.  $5 at auto zone is better than brake fluid in the carb Smiley

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #12 - 03/16/09 at 10:24:23

might be worth trying!

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 03/16/09 at 10:31:10

Mort, thats the purpose of the jar, fluid would have to fill the jar before it could get in the hose to the carb.
You mean $5.00 gets me a vac pump?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 03/16/09 at 11:16:31

Just saw an product review on Speed Channel yesterday where they pump it from the bleeder back up to the reservoir.  Sounded like a good idea to pump the air up hill.

I would wonder how the pumping would affect the check valve....... hmmmm ...  do we even have a check valve in the master cylinder......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Brakes!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.