Send Topic Print
HELMETS (Read 325 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: HELMETS
Reply #15 - 03/15/09 at 22:55:17

When I first got my bike I bought the cheapest helmet I could find, the Bell 3/4 with the snaps across the top. My head is in between sizes so I went with the little bit roomier version. I figured here in MN I could always wear a stocking cap if I need to. I got the snap on face guard pretty quickly. All this worked out pretty well, if a bit noisy with the wind coming in all those little gaps.

The first time I decided to make a long trip (4,400+ miles) I decided to get a better helmet. I ended up spending around $140 for a full face model with the flip up chin guard. I bought it in a local shop so I paid more than if ordered, but as everybody seems to agree, trying it on is the best way to spend the money happily. It's kinda the best of both worlds. With the guard up it's passable open faced, if somewhat heavy. And in the chill I can still crack open the visor to keep the fog down and the nose warm. Of course the little vents they put in them are useless for their stated purposes. And there's room for speakers if I ever get tired of that strange thumping noise I keep hearing when I'm out on the road.

Jack

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/16/09 at 10:24:05

verslagen1 wrote on 03/15/09 at 22:45:07:
I got the FF z1r featured in the article.  The price is right, the fit is good.  The vents are ineffective.  In what we call winter, in the morning I have to keep the shield cracked or it will fog.  In the summer, it's open too for cooling.  Although with a fly shield there is enough flow thru to pop the shield open on it's own.   Grin

After 2 years, the fit is not as tight and less sound deadening.

My experience as well.  But, it still serves me well and the testing done in the article impressed me, and the price is right.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 03/16/09 at 10:36:32

I have a small skull, hat size ,, 6&7/8ths. I wear a small helmet & after wearing it a few months it loosened up. I cut some foam rubber & slipped it into the liner in places.
I also noticed that with the helmet shaking from vibration & wind, my glasses were being shifted a bit, making the world wiggle. I opened the part up that pushes on the temple pieces of my glasses & removed some foam there, & pulled the slack out of the cloth & stapled it down. Now my glasses dont wiggle, so the world doesnt wiggle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #18 - 03/16/09 at 10:52:39

Hey guys, I have been looking for a helmet with built in headphones. I am always trying to adjust mine while at red lights and they always fall out 2 seconds later. I would love it to also have the fold up face, not just the  visor but the whole chin and visor. Does anyone know where a helmet like this can be found?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 03/16/09 at 11:37:55

splash07 wrote on 03/16/09 at 10:52:39:
Hey guys, I have been looking for a helmet with built in headphones. I am always trying to adjust mine while at red lights and they always fall out 2 seconds later. I would love it to also have the fold up face, not just the  visor but the whole chin and visor. Does anyone know where a helmet like this can be found?

Don't know the laws of your state, but such a helmet would be illegal in CA.  Only 1 ear may have a headphone while riding.  Get an all in head phone, some are sound cancelling.

WWW   IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #20 - 03/17/09 at 10:05:21

Nolan makes a helmet and related gear that will allow you to listen to music, bluetooth to your cell phone, etc,  very pricey thou.

I wear a KBC VR-2  full face helmet - ran me about $250 at the dealership, fits well and vents well.

One thing to remember, wear some earplugs and save your hearing.

Go for a helmet that is both Snell and DOT approved.  Can't go wrong there.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELMETS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.