Send Topic Print
HELMETS (Read 325 times)
alcoa

never let the
bastards wear you
down

HELMETS
03/15/09 at 07:12:52

WinkI dont want to get cheap on a helment so where do I buy and what kind due I get , to get the best bang for my money? In the DENNIS KIRK book they range from $50-$467, I now high cost dose not mean the best. I want the saftest helment at the best price. Wink

most problems are caused by the loose nut that conects the handelbars to the seat
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: HELMETS
Reply #1 - 03/15/09 at 07:39:27

Daytona makes awesome half shell helmets and they are priced really well.

HJC makes great full face helmets, as well as others.

You pretty much gotta go to a place and try them on and see what fits best to you.

If you don't like getting hit in the face with stuff then go with a shield or a full face. If you don't mind get an open face. It is all personal preference.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 03/15/09 at 09:40:24

You can buy on line, but you want to select the helmet in person.  A helmet that does not fit comfortable is of no use.  You may have to ride to Syracuse or Rochester to find a selection to choose from.

You are in a Nanny State, so helmet are mandatory, not optional.  The type of helmet is.  IMHO a half helmet, or beanie, is useful for obeying the law and not much else.  If you are getting a helmet for protection rather than legal compliance you'll be wanting at least a 3/4, perferably a full face.  Many magazines have tested them, and *all* DOT helmets are pretty near equal when it comes to protection.  Fit is what really matters, and you cannot try on a series of helmets on line.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #3 - 03/15/09 at 10:32:04

Savage_Amusement wrote on 03/15/09 at 07:39:27:
If you don't like getting hit in the face with stuff then go with a shield or a full face. If you don't mind get an open face. It is all personal preference.

ahhhh yes, i remember 2 years ago when the cicadas were EVERYWHERE! i dont wear a helmut and it was like dodgeball. never got pelted in the face but my hands, knees and bike took out a few!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/15/09 at 12:01:36

Ahhhh Helmets,,the Great Debate. I wont ride w/o one, well, Up & down in front of the house, but not Off on  aride of any consequence..
I crashed a bike & landed on the side of my head, layed my head all the way over to my shoulder. Years later an MRI revealed I had cracked 3 bones in my neck..IF I had been wearing a helmet, it would have been a fulcrum between head & shoulder, & would have broken my neck like a hangmans noose, I would died,

I stuck a bike in the side of a pickup, slid up the side of it, crammed my face into the back of the cab. If I had only been wearing a helmet with a plastic face shield & no Chin Gaurd,,, I shudder to think of the damage I would have suffered..Would I have died or just had my face flattened, teeth knocked out, jaw smashed, etc?? IDK, but it wouldnt have been a "walk Away", which I did. I wear an HJC flip face. The flip up part split my upper lip, 2 stitches worth, the strap shoved into my throat so hard I was still struggling a bit to swallow 3 weeks later, BUT, I walked away, even helped load the bike on a trailer & tie it down. I didnt even go to the hospital till about 6 hours later, because I had a headache..but, w/o that chin bar on the helmet,, the outcome would have been really different.

A look( dang if I know where it is now) at the stats on "Where the helmet contacts things", I once saw a diagram, showing what %age of impacts occur where & the face is a High %age "Impact Zone". I never knew that, but I had already bought the Flip Face, because a guy whgo I respected told me the face shield was really not sufficient in a crash.

But, No helmet kept me from getting killed once,
A helmet kept me from getting at least Seriously injured, maybe killed, once.

Its your life & your choice. I hope you never need the protection you buy & I hope that If you do, you dont regret your choice.
More $$$ can be spent, but the protection offered / dollar spent doesnt go up much. The HJC offers plenty of protection & isnt too pricey. Mine was still usable, all it needed was a visor, but I went & got another, exactly the same model.
Best wishes,,really.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 03/15/09 at 12:30:45

I just replaced my 10 YO very dinged up helmet with a HD one 3/4 version with a flip up shield. Tried one on years ago and was always sorry I didn't buy it then. It was $150 at the HD shop in Mesa, AZ. They didn't have a white one but the grey one works fine, don't like the black as they absorb heat more. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #6 - 03/15/09 at 16:43:36

Like others said, try a helmet on in person.  Each brand or model is differently shaped.  New Enough has closeout deals on helmets pretty often: http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/helmets/

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 03/15/09 at 17:05:57

I'm like you, Alcoa.  I don't want to pay extra for a name, but I don't want a piece of crap just because it is cheap.  I bought a full-face HJC for somewhere around $120, and I'm happy with it.  All the moving parts are holding up well, and it is well-vented.  Hopefully, I'll never find out how well it protects in a crash, but it has proven to be nicely bug-proof.  It also does a good job of keeping the wind out of my eyes, which is a big deal for me.  No major drafts that I've detected.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #8 - 03/15/09 at 17:10:36

That is my closed face helmet that I use in colder weather, buggy days, rainy days or really really really long rides. I like it a lot. It has Velcro on the inside at the chin but no one sells the piece that goes in there around here. It would be nice to help keep a bit more of wind out, not that there is a whole lot to start with.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 03/15/09 at 17:21:22

It probably isn't possible, but you really need to try it on for an hour or so to find out if it stays comfortable. Then, when it gets into the wind, it'll change. I wear glasses, so I didn't even look at helmets without the flip-open face. And I don't plan to ever ride without a full-face helmet. For info, as far as I know there are only DOT flip-face helmets. None of them have Snell approval.

I understand the cost savings of buying a helmet online from someone like Dennis Kirk. But I also understand the idea of buying from your local dealer, just to help keep him in business when you might need him. I was chatting with my local dealer, and he commented that he had over two hundred helmets in stock. Figure several models from several makers, and several sizes of each. Two hundred helmets, figuring they probably cost him an average of $100 each, is $20K in inventory. Do you think it is really fair for you to visit the dealership and try on a bunch of helmets, then order the exact same helmet online for a few bucks less? If you do, go for it.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #10 - 03/15/09 at 19:13:52

You definately want to spend some time trying helmets on.  Fitment is vital and not something you can do online.

Once you know how each helmet fits (each brand will fit a little differently) then you can begin to shop on price. Buy it either locally or online, your choice.

I prefer to by mine locally.  That way, if there is a problem, I can deal with them directly.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Big Nix

Screw dieing of
natural causes.

Atlanta, GA
Reply #11 - 03/15/09 at 19:55:25

Yah on the whole helment thing i too have wrecked with and with out them but since i'm active duty army now i have to ride with one and i also had to take the motorcycle safety course, but after all that has happened to me on and off the bike it is just to easy to where the helment.  Like most everyone else I recently just got a new HJC it was 110.00 but i got a nice military discount so with tax and all only cost me about 107.00.  It is just flat black but hey i like it and i ain't trying to win any beauty contests.  That and just a word of advise to anyone looking to buy their first helment, if you where glasses make sure you try on the helment and then put your glasses on with it, and keep in mind that it will give a little with wear.

Courage is being scared, but still sadeling up and riding out.
Big Nix   IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/15/09 at 20:07:40

I have a half helmet and a 3/4 helmet with face shield.  I use to ride a 150cc Chinese scooter that full out could go 52 mph.  Trust me that feels FAST when you are leading with your knees...LOL.

Anyway going down a major road one day at 5:30 in "going home" traffic I rode right through a swarm of honey bees.  They came over and around the truck ahead of me and I thought it was gravel or something at first, but it didn't "settle down".  Then I was in it and tucked my head down as it bounced off the 3/4 helmet like marbles.  When I was through I looked up and thought, 'What was that?', then looked down to see bees on my jacket.

I'm glad it didn't figure it out sooner or I would have probably dropped the bike.  I ...really... like the helmet with face shield now.  NO KIDDING.

-Hal

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/15/09 at 20:39:35

Helmets vary widely in protection despite their complying with Fed standards, and more expensive helmets are not safer.  Its your life and I suggest you research this issue before you buy.  An excellent place to start is this link, which changed the way people thought about helmets:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/15/09 at 22:45:07

I got the FF z1r featured in the article.  The price is right, the fit is good.  The vents are ineffective.  In what we call winter, in the morning I have to keep the shield cracked or it will fog.  In the summer, it's open too for cooling.  Although with a fly shield there is enough flow thru to pop the shield open on it's own.   Grin

After 2 years, the fit is not as tight and less sound deadening.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELMETS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.