Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
one step forward two steps back (Read 347 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: one step forward two steps back
Reply #15 - 03/15/09 at 11:46:53

Is there a chance the float is so low he cant get the fuel into the engine he needs to run higher RPM's?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 03/15/09 at 12:27:00

pretty sure its a rich condition. I just have no idea how. Stock carb that hasnt been messed with and a brand new air filter should be making me even more lean than last fall. I stuck a new plug in just to see. That made it even worse. I could ride it last night I just couldnt gun it or go over 50mph or so. With the new plug I could barely make it around the block today and the plug was instantly carbon fouled when I checked it. Im leaning back toward the petcock. Thats the only part of the fuel system I've changed. Last fall with vacuum fed I was golden. Now gravity fed and Ive got issues. Geuss I gotta scrape all the gray seal off the vacuum ports on the petcock and carb and try it again. I have a temper. Please fellow riders, wish me patience or i may kick the sob over and light it ablaze in frustration.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 03/15/09 at 19:16:48

BurnPgh wrote on 03/15/09 at 12:27:00:
pretty sure its a rich condition. I just have no idea how. Stock carb that hasnt been messed with and a brand new air filter should be making me even more lean than last fall. I stuck a new plug in just to see. That made it even worse. I could ride it last night I just couldnt gun it or go over 50mph or so. With the new plug I could barely make it around the block today and the plug was instantly carbon fouled when I checked it. Im leaning back toward the petcock. Thats the only part of the fuel system I've changed. Last fall with vacuum fed I was golden. Now gravity fed and Ive got issues. Geuss I gotta scrape all the gray seal off the vacuum ports on the petcock and carb and try it again. I have a temper. Please fellow riders, wish me patience or i may kick the sob over and light it ablaze in frustration.

Patience.....   and beer......

Here's a thought.....  with the new petcock on.... (did I read it was a Raptor petcock   Huh  ).  

1- Turn off the fuel.
2 - Drain some fuel out of the bowel.
3 - Put a clean plug in
4 - go for a short quick ride,  ..... you'll only get 1/4 mile or so, but that should be enough to see if the petcock is flooding the bike.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/15/09 at 23:19:48

I got REal Tired of going after the tools I threw & fixing the crap I broke, so I calmed down. I know a guy who rides a nice old Ducati, well, nice, except for the smashed in tank, where he slugged it to punish IT for not starting.. a daily reminder if his childishness. I think he keeps it to remind himself. Hes older, wiser & MUCH more mature now,,that was 25 years ago.
Anyway Burn, walk away, take a deep breath, plan your next move & IF the next move is a couple cold beers,, then get on with it!
Stay cool, dude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 03/16/09 at 00:22:29

a short ride no doubt. Quick is the problem. Took the carb apart again tonight just to see. Triple thorough cleaning of every concievable part and surface. Not much improvement. Still can't get past 40 in 2nd without is sputtering and hesitating. Its 3am. Im going to bed.

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #20 - 03/16/09 at 06:38:55

BurnPgh wrote on 03/13/09 at 20:13:01:
Seems after a few minutes at about half throttle the bike starts to sputter and wants to stall out.

BurnPgh wrote on 03/16/09 at 00:22:29:
Still can't get past 40 in 2nd without is sputtering and hesitating.

Let's be clear.  Are both of these statements still true? Or has the initial assessment turned out false?

I don't think the raptor petcock swap is at fault.  Provided the vacuum port is sealed off right, the carb can only either get enough fuel or be starved for fuel.  The only reason the stock vacuum petcock can cause flooding is if its diaphragm leaks, but the raptor doesn't have that.  The fouled plug indicates that it isn't being starved I think.

You seem to have ruled out a stuck float or slide, and I assume you inspected all the diaphragms in the carb while it has been apart.

Weak ignition is the only thing left on the clymer's plug condition chart for carbon fouled.  Check the ignition coil like markbacon suggested?  Don't give up!

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #21 - 03/16/09 at 09:55:04

Did you check the carb boot for air leaks?

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 03/16/09 at 10:53:05

moments as opposed to minutes wouldve been more accurate but yes both statements still ring true. No air leaks. The plug had good spark when i checked it.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 03/16/09 at 16:09:19

I decided to run without the air box cover off just to see. Problem solved. I cut down the big square "tube" under the seat to the air box by about 1/2 in and its all good. I don't know how considering I didnt have a problem last fall but it seems the seat was blocking airflow. gremlins. go figure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:22:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › one step forward two steps back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.