Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
one step forward two steps back (Read 347 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

one step forward two steps back
03/13/09 at 20:13:01

I've done a few things to the bike over the winter. I finally got the tubeless (yea, it actually worked out dandy. I'll fill in the details) tires on and the chain drive all finished up. I also put a raptor petcock on and heres where I may be stepping backward. After finally having gotten all this stuff finished I went for a ride. Seems after a few minutes at about half throttle the bike starts to sputter and wants to stall out. Anyone else have this issue after switching petcocks?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: one step forward two steps back
Reply #1 - 03/13/09 at 20:20:18

Did you plug the vacuum port on the carb?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/13/09 at 21:08:18

i did. that was my first thought. I plugged it with a small screw and liberal amount of gray seal. I went ahead and globbed it up good with gray seal so if there a vac leak it should be gone tomorrow. Fingers crossed. If that doesn't work Im going to switch back to the stock petcock and see if that clears it up. Any other ideas what might be the issue?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 03/13/09 at 21:09:15

fresh gas?

WWW   IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #4 - 03/13/09 at 21:20:39

If you put your old petcock on does the problem stop?

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/13/09 at 21:39:41

Gas is fresh as it comes. Had the tank off and empty the past couple months. Its possible a bit of rust clogged up the petcock screen but i highly doubt it. Very little rust developed that I can see and I didnt get very far before this happened. Maybe a mile but it was stop and go. In addition to that if I pull in the clutch and let off the throttle for a few seconds I can release the clutch and it'll run just dandy again....for another minute or so. Im done for the night I think. Its about 30 degrees out now. A wee bit chilly to be out all night test riding. Tomorrow I'll switch back to the stock petcock and report.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 03/13/09 at 23:12:34

Sounds like the gas in the bowl is too low, check the float level. You can stick tubing on the little Spout under the bowl & run the tube up past the upper edge of the bowl, loosen the Drain Screw & lower the end of the tube, OR maybe the flow rate IN is too slow to keep up with the engine,, that sounds mo like it..You can prove that by strapping a container on the seat & run a hose to the carb & go ride. If it holds a quart, fine..just have stuff to hook up the tank & carb if you run out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 03/14/09 at 05:23:24

BurnPgh wrote on 03/13/09 at 20:13:01:
I've done a few things to the bike over the winter. I finally got the tubeless (yea, it actually worked out dandy. I'll fill in the details) tires on and the chain drive all finished up. I also put a raptor petcock on and heres where I may be stepping backward. After finally having gotten all this stuff finished I went for a ride. Seems after a few minutes at about half throttle the bike starts to sputter and wants to stall out. Anyone else have this issue after switching petcocks?

Assuming this happens each time you take it out...

Think ... cold engine needs choke (richened mixture), then when warm the choke is turned off (lean the mixture) in order for the engine to run smoothly and efficiently.  If the choke is NOT turned off then the engine does not run smoothly, but sputters &/or hesitates.

Sounds like a too rich symptom.

The cause for the above symptom could be the float level being incorrect, or the pilot jet being too large, or the pilot air screw turned out too much, or the needle being adjusted for a TOO RICH midrange setting...or a combination of the above settings.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/14/09 at 10:00:01

haven't messed with the carb yet. Going right now to try the old petcock. fingers crossed.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/14/09 at 10:45:36

no improvement. I haven't done anything to the carb and i wasn't running rich last fall so i doubt Im rich now. Probably a bit lean. Only thing I did to the engine itself was to adjust the valves. Im kind of stumped. Float level i geuss. I did have carb off over the winter. Shook out the gas though. Something must be sticking. PITA.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/14/09 at 11:25:19

only seems to happen under a load...sort of. I live on a steep hill. No issue getting up this hill as long as Im not trying to gun it. Anytime I "gun" it hill or flat land it'll sputter. In neutral i can rev it up just dandy.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 03/14/09 at 14:59:55

Pretty sure something in the carb is gummed up. I adjusted the valves again to be certain the last time i did it i didnt totally screw up timing or something. All is well in that area for certain now. Went ahead and added a liberal amount of seafoam to the tank and ran it a few miles before i did the valve "adjustment". Afterward the problem persists but isn't as bad as it was and Im now able to rev a bit higher before it starts sputtering. Still...i wouldnt be able to get on the highway in this condition and I like the highway so im still open to ideas.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #12 - 03/14/09 at 18:10:33

I'll assume your using the stack carb (?). Something to check/clean is the throttle off by pass circuit. This is controlled by a vacuum diaphragmon the side of the carb - circular cover with three screws holding it  on. The drilling to the vacuum side is really, really small and it's possible that it's got pretty crusty while the bike was sitting.

Your symptoms aren't what I'd expect, but it may be worth checking.

The other possibility is ignition coil. A problem here can only surface when the coil gets hot. Once the coil cools, problem disappears again.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/14/09 at 19:07:23

i'll find out soon enough. tearing into the sob tonight.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/14/09 at 23:40:30

gave the carb a good cleaning. Its well nigh spotless. It helped but didn't solve the issue. I also got a look at whats in my carb. 45 pilot 145 main. Didn't look but I'm wagering heavily that I've got the entire white spacer in there too.  Im pretty sure im not running rich considering that and especially because all last year i used a well soiled air filter that had to block some air flow. Ive got to be even leaner now with a crisp clean filter. Can being overly lean cause these symptoms I've described? Using last years plug. Probably shouldve started with that but...i suppose it's possible the spark is strong enough to ignite the smaller amount of fuel while on the pilot circuit but too weak once i throttle past it. I don't know. I didn't do a freaking thing to the carb or engine (barring valve adjustment) so I have no idea why I was running just dandy last fall but now im not. Still taking suggestions.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:15:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › one step forward two steps back

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.