Carb Problems (Read 92 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Carb Problems
03/11/09 at 11:10:29

Good morning from sunny AZ. Just about given up on diagnosing this Mikuni BS40SS carb problem. It is on the sidecar tug bike,2002 MY. I understand it was removed by the PO because it didn't work right after he worked on it, believe it ran very rich. I think I found and corrected that problem. #4 washers replacing the nylon spacer had a oversize OD so the needle was raised very high, because it didn't allow the needle to sit in the recess. It starts and runs fine, but won't go past about 1/2 engine RPM. Is just flat at that point. Ihave had the diaphram and slide assembly out and checked it for proper installation, no visible holes in the diaphram, slide moves up and down freely, and holes are lined up in the needle retainer plate. It acts like the slide isn't raising at all. I did bring the AMAL carb that was on it but the mileage was in the 30's with it and as I am not at home with all my tools, changing it back is going to be a challenge. I modified a metric allen wrench to R&R the intake manifold screws and aparently did not bring it with me. The questions are: what else could the PO have done to cause this symptom that I missed? Will the OE intake flange work with the AMAL carb? if I decide to change back to it and work on rejetting it. Weather is nice (high 70's days) and surface street are just right for scootin'. Got 60 MPG on last tank of the bagger as speeds were mostly 45 MPH or less. Did 130 before hitting reserve and then only took 2.1 Gal. Thanks for any input or ideas. Max.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb Problems
Reply #1 - 03/11/09 at 11:32:24

Sounds like a stuck slide even though you say you've checked it.

I'd look at all the jets to make sure none are plugged and in the right places.  There's 1 jet that controls the response of the slide, but don't know which one.  And also check the rubber diaphram for the slide.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 03/11/09 at 14:32:51

Agree With Verslagen....  check the jets... BUT,  look at what size jets are in there.  Mabe the PO didn't put it back together correctly.....

I think Greg has sizes in the Tech section somewhere.   Or maybe it was SavageWahine.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 03/12/09 at 16:08:38

Wonder of wonders!! I pulled the float bowl screws yesterday and checked the main jet. It was clean and the fuel in the bowl looked OK, although it was left over from last October but treated with Seafoam. I let it sit apart overnight while waiting for ideas from here and thinking abut options. Decided to put it back together this afternoon and if it didn't work put the AMAL on. Took it down the street to the PO boxes and it ran like it is supposed to. Went out on the county road and it scooted right up to 55 and had full RPM in the 1st 3 gears. Stopped by the Chevron Station at the corner and put 0.9 Gal in it and came home to get the wife for a cruise. Went over 50 miles and never missed a lick. Truely amazing. Maybe the stuff in the bowl was lots of seafoam and to high specific gravity to be pushed up and into the main metering system. Water does behave that way. My bagger had a high speed miss when I tried it before loading it last month in the back of the Colorado PU for the trip down to AZ. I dosed it with seafoam and it ran fine off the truck here. In any case  both bikes are running fine now and with 77 degree days I got to ride both today. Such a deal. Life is so great !!!. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:24:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.