Send Topic Print
fuel tank issue (Read 254 times)
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fuel tank issue
03/09/09 at 15:29:34

I just got done attempting to get the bike going after its been sitting for quite some time. I feel pretty confident i did everything right but i still have one issue. When the line from the tank is disconnected from the carb and the valve is turned to on it still does not pour out gas. I'm thinking that the vavle might be gummed up or something from gas sitting in it so long. What can i do to make sure its cleaned out? I have a full tank of new gas in it with some sea foam that im hoping will help break it up. any suggestions?

IP Logged
Justinmkantor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Monterey, CA
Re: fuel tank issue
Reply #1 - 03/09/09 at 15:42:25

These holes in the switch are preety substantial but the screen is fine plastic mesh.like 3mm. may be clogged with rust if tank was real bad and filter was broke. Check in all settings (pri,on,off, res, whatever) and see if that helps. Otherwise you may have to drain the tank and check the petcock (he he I said . . . whatever) for clogging. Done this a couple of times, when they are old they can be fragile, so be careful with the filter. Then again I am the kind of guy who would try to fix my cell phone if I had any chance of being able to fix it. the filter is about 3-4 inches high so slosh the tank around see if you can dislodge anything stuck to the filter, and please no smoking while doing this type of work. May want to open a window unless you like that kind of thing.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 03/09/09 at 15:47:19

The stock petcock needs vaccuum from the carb to open a diaphram valve in the petcock, when the petcock lever  is set to the regular run position. This prevents the tank draining in the carb, etc and flooding while the bike is not running. Search the site as therea are many threads covering how the petcock works & issues concerning it not working

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/09/09 at 16:11:31

A friend and I both owned 150cc United Motors scooters.  This was my first introduction to the vaccum petcock.

I pulled the fuel line from the tank to the carb one day and "no gas", but I had read one of the tech. manuals and vaguely recalled something about a petcock, so I had her turn it over with the starter.

Result:  gas EVERYWHERE!

Good thing neither of us smoke ...LOL.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 03/09/09 at 16:21:56

I really hate to bring this up, but it is an easy mistake to do. Are you sure you're pulling the fuel line and not the vacuum line to test for fuel?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/09/09 at 16:46:43

update: im not very familiar with how the vacuum works or anything since this is my first time working on a motorcycle. i tried to find threads regarding it but sadly im not very good at navigating forums so i came up with nothing. the line that i have disconnected is the line leading from the back of the petcock towards the carb. the line that has a spring wrapped around it is connected to the carb still. i tried to undo the fuel line, put it in a bucket and start it to see if it would shoot out gas like one person said and nothing. im not really sure where to go from here =/

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #6 - 03/09/09 at 16:54:43

Okay, then you have the correct line pulled. Have you tried putting the petcock in the "Pri" position? That should allow fuel to flow without having the engine running. If it doesn't, you may need to do as others have stated and pull the petcock to check the screen.

IP Logged
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/09/09 at 16:59:09

yeah, actually i had tried that. if i pull the petcock do i actually have to drain the tank? can i just flip it over and be careful? lol. i just dont want to have to drain the gas i just put in there from the top again >_<

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 03/09/09 at 17:01:15

I've never had that problem, so I wouldn't know.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 03/09/09 at 17:31:47

The spring covered line is the vac line, it goes from the right side of the carb to the back of the petcock...
The front of the petcock is the fuel line it comes out  horizontal and goes to the left side of the carb.  It should only flow gas in the prime position.

The engine must be running to let gas flow from the on or reserve position....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/09/09 at 17:52:20

ok, so i tried it on reserve position and got nothing. so it seems that there must be a clog... is there any good ways to check/clear it out?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/09/09 at 18:17:08

reserve will do the same as on when the engine isn't running.
they are controlled by vacuume from the engine.

try prime, gas should flow whether the engine is on or not.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #12 - 03/09/09 at 19:45:44

since i have flooded my bike twice, now im thinking i may have had the petcock set in the wrong position.......not good, ill pay more attention!

IP Logged
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/09/09 at 20:40:13

sorry, i meant i tried it on prime =P im definitely learning alot more about what those settings mean though lol

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 03/09/09 at 20:51:53

OK you gotta clog.

2 places to check.  

drain tank, remove petcock, out will come a long plastic screen.  should be clean.  I'd reverse flush it with something.  Check for varnish across the screen.

reverse flush should take care of second place.  but if you would rather, 4 screws off the back will expose the inards.  becarefull of the gasket or be prepared with gas resistant rtv.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fuel tank issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.