Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Morning acceleration squeal. (Read 171 times)
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Morning acceleration squeal.
03/09/09 at 06:44:26

Well, I've been riding consistently again over the last few days now that the weather is warming up but I'm noticing that I have a squeal on acceleration during the first couple of minutes of the ride.

It's only during acceleration.  If I rev the engine while the clutch in it's quiet.  If I pull the clutch in or let off the throttle while I'm rolling it's quiet.  It sounds like a belt squeal (or at least, what I've heard from cars with a belt squeal).  A physical inspection of the belt looked fine though.  The mornings are still quite chilly, is it just the belt warming up?  Should I replace the belt?

The sound does go away within two minutes.  By the time I'm out of my neighborhood it's quiet -- but I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate me squealing through the neighborhood at 7am.  Grin  Any thoughts?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Morning acceleration squeal.
Reply #1 - 03/09/09 at 07:50:00

It sure sounds like belt squeal that went away as the belt warmed up.

IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 03/09/09 at 08:04:23

If you loosen the belt very slightly (took me 1/2 to 1 turn of the 2 adjuster bolts from a squeaking like you describe) it should go away. Don't use any oil or lubricant on the belt as it can pick up dirt.

Having played around with belt tension from A-Z I can confirm it squeals when too tight, and also that it slips when you accelerate hard if its too loose  Embarrassed

IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #3 - 03/09/09 at 08:39:02

Mine does to. A lot of times its after running in the rain or damp dirt. I figure its kicking dirt up on2 th belt and pulley makeing noise till it's worn off or hosed down. I ride yr round since Pa don't get very bad weather and get the noise in cool weather more too. Cold expands things so the belt will be snugger in the pulley till warmed up. That's my therory bin wrong before will be wrong again lol. Undecided

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 03/10/09 at 17:32:20

savageguy wrote on 03/09/09 at 06:44:26:
The sound does go away within two minutes.  By the time I'm out of my neighborhood it's quiet -- but I'm sure the neighbors don't appreciate me squealing through the neighborhood at 7am.  Grin  Any thoughts?

Yup.  Get a louder muffler.  They'll never hear the belt over that.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #5 - 03/10/09 at 22:17:03

had that prob too on damp mornings, i noticed the belt was rubbing on the inner lip of the rear sprocket. a quick adjustment and it was gone

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 03/11/09 at 00:06:35

Hmm, I too have noticed a bit of squeel the first few minutes of a ride on damp mornings. Never gave it a thought. May need to check my belt alignment.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #7 - 03/11/09 at 06:39:57

Thanks for all the tips...

PhilM wrote on 03/09/09 at 08:04:23:
If you loosen the belt very slightly (took me 1/2 to 1 turn of the 2 adjuster bolts from a squeaking like you describe) it should go away. Don't use any oil or lubricant on the belt as it can pick up dirt.

I'll give this a shot!  Thanks!

IP Logged
savageguy
YaBB Newbies

Newb

Reply #8 - 03/11/09 at 06:40:48

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 03/10/09 at 17:32:20:
Yup.  Get a louder muffler.  They'll never hear the belt over that.

Heh, it's like turning up the radio... but for the whole neighborhood.  Works for me.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:14:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Morning acceleration squeal.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.