Send Topic Print
Tires-need suggestions (Read 246 times)
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Tires-need suggestions
03/06/09 at 17:29:04

Would like your input on new tires other than stock. Have 8k miles and rear stock needs replacing........I will be replacing front and rear so they will match...at least thats what I have heard you should do.

Thanks

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tires-need suggestions
Reply #1 - 03/06/09 at 17:45:01

Dunlop 404's are the standard upgrade..... Kenda is a bit cheaper, still pretty good, Metzler's are the elite....

Always buy new tubes with new tires... get tubes with a right-angle valve stem and have them installed to the brake/right side...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/06/09 at 18:09:46

Good advise.
Front can be a straight stem.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 03/06/09 at 19:12:53

Also new rim strips.  My last order at Dennis Kirk was for F/R Metzelers, IRC/Kenda tubes and rimstrips, $241 to the door.

When I got my bike I replaced the rear tire with a D404, didn't replace the front until much later, replaced the rear again.  Didn't need to replace the front when I got the Metzelers but will be using the old front for a trailer tire.  I've had no issue with brand mixing.  In my experience fronts last about twice as long as rears.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 03/06/09 at 21:36:58

Bald,

How many miles do you ride your Savage in a year?

If it is 1500 or less (like me), you may be better off getting the cheapo OEM tires.  If you don't rack up the miles, good tires will age out before they wear out.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 03/06/09 at 23:11:59

I got a Cheng Shin from bikebandit.com.  It's fine.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #6 - 03/06/09 at 23:48:23

I'm running IRC Wildflares - they do the job.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 03/07/09 at 01:35:26

Pirelli 66 route,Improves handling and smooths out the ride.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/07/09 at 11:41:32

You live where its hot & theres plenty of rain, so you , on one hand, dont need a real sticky tire, because the roads & temps are warm & you arent about to just slip down because the tire is too hard to grip, but what about the rain? You ride in it a lot? How did you like the stockers? You got 8,000 out of them, I think they're crappy( Mine felt like they had baby oil on them from day one, lasted 5,000 & never felt secure) but you got 8 Thousand miles? I guess you ride smoothly & dont rip around corners a lot? Diggers point is a sure thing to consider, tires die of old age, even if the tread is still good, so get one that'll wear out before it dies of old age.
Ive run Maxxiss( I hear they no longer make M/C tires) twice, once I got 5,500, then I got 3,000! No more of that, thankyuveramuch...Now, The Dunlop on it is doing a fine job. Offers good traction & its holding up to wear just fine. I DO want to give the Metzlers a shot one day, BUt, I dont know if Ill ever get there, because I intend to go the Old Feller way & run a car tire. If he says it handles well enough then I trust it, because he doesnt just poke around, he gets on down. I dont like paying for those tires OR wrestling with them, so the "Dark Side" looks good to me...

YMMV, but itll be a lot better on a car tire.

Installation requires care. Harmful or fatal if not done correctly. No KIDDING, Do Not do this lightly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 03/07/09 at 15:28:14

My bike may be the rare exception, but with the OEM tire the speedometer and odometer were quite close to correct. For that reason I replaced it with another IRC OEM tire.

I think it might be interesting, even if difficult, to run blind testing on tires. That is, hide or scrape off the maker's ID, and have riders test the tires without knowing who made them. I could be wrong, but I suspect there is a lot of "anything but what the manufacturer put on" bias.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #10 - 03/07/09 at 18:36:54

THANKS for the input...............hmmmmmm 7 four and five star members responding I had better listen.  I need to ship my bike to you so you can add all those good upgrades. (camchain, super this and super that.......RIDE SAFE!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 03/07/09 at 19:31:13

I got about 4000 out of the IRC and about 6000 out of the Kenda.  If I can afford to go onward and upward, I will, but I'm not unhappy with the Kenda.  It was slightly oversized.  The "whateverwhatever/90/whatever."  Sorry.  Never have figured out tire sizes, and can't ever remember them.  It had a 90 in it, though.

And don't trust my stars...  I earned them all mouthing off in the other forum. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #12 - 03/07/09 at 19:39:18

I have a set of pirelli route 66 tires sitting 10 feet away ready to go on soon.  I thought I had read that the ROUTE logo on the side was going to be bright white, but there is zero white on these tires.  Fine by me.  Wink

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
Buckaroo

Wherever you
go......there you
are!

NW Washington
Re: Tires-need suggestions-note from the dark side
Reply #13 - 03/07/09 at 19:51:40

If any of y'all are considering going to the dark side; stay away from the Coker/Firestone 135R15! The bead is sh-t!!!!  Angry I blew one up at 40 lbs with all sorts of silicone.  Go with the Michelin instead if you can get one. The bead has twice the wire as the Coker-F'stone. We have mounted the  Michelin with little trouble. 40 lbs air; plenty of lube and a little coaxing with a rubber mallet. Mounting a car tire on a bike rim is a bit tricky requiring a steady hand. Don't hang your head over the rim and wearing a full face helmet is not a bad idea. Yee Haa!!!!! Cool

Buckaroo

1997 Honda Valkyrie with Motorvation Spyder sidecar
2003 Ruckus
2006 V-Strom 650
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #14 - 03/07/09 at 20:32:46

I have Pirelli Route 66, one size up from stock and it works great.

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 06:23:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires-need suggestions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.