Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Variation of diamond jim's dog bowls (Read 222 times)
Mortation

Variation of diamond jim's dog bowls
03/06/09 at 12:16:03

I need a new side cover, I also need to replace my air filter.  So I am thinking about killing two birds with one stone along diamond jim's idea.  He used dog bowls on his bike and ditched both side panels, looks good.

I am thinking about taking out the air box, using an L shaped silicone racing hose from my carb to one of these on the right side of the bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts-Accessories_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories...

On the left I will mount another one but just the cover for balance.  It will be mounted by running a strait threaded rod from one side to the other.  Giving a similar look like diamond jim with one side being a functional air intake and the other side being a dummy face plate.

I am hoping to do this without moving the battery FYI.
This should look cool, work, and save me about $60.

Thoughts?  Critiques?  Suggestions?

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Re: Variation of diamond jim's dog bowls
Reply #1 - 03/06/09 at 14:14:16

You slap the hd on there you will confuse the bike. Go with the dog dish.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 03/06/09 at 14:45:44

That would look good.  You'll have to fab a back plate, adapt it to fit the hose/pipe and account for rigidity.  I looked at those.  I didn't go with those because of the price and that they had HD on them.  Of course, everything HD has HD on it, including nuts and washers. It's just hard to see cause it's microscopically engraved.  That's why HD bolts and washers cost $10 each.

Cheesy

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #3 - 03/06/09 at 14:51:22

diamond jim wrote on 03/06/09 at 14:45:44:
That would look good.  You'll have to fab a back plate, adapt it to fit the hose/pipe and account for rigidity.  I looked at those.  I didn't go with those because of the price and that they had HD on them.  Of course, everything HD has HD on it, including nuts and washers. It's just hard to see cause it's microscopically engraved.  That's why HD bolts and washers cost $10 each.

Cheesy

LOL.  I found some unbranded ones on eBay after I posted that but they were MORE expensive which I found funny.  I will give it a shot.  I just found out the air filter is BEHIND the battery box.  So I may leave the side with a side panel alone and just route the air intake out the missing side.  Which has some electrical stuff in the way I will need to move.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/06/09 at 19:39:11

Try to take pics as you go along and post later so we can all learn how to do it.  

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 03/07/09 at 20:00:13

I think I need to see these dog bowls, Jim.  Are there pictures somewhere?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 03/07/09 at 20:20:06

Sandy, this is what he is talking about.  At least this is the finished product.  

The first version, the actual dog bowls, are underneath the round chrome covers.  They are what the chrome covers mount to.

This was before dog bowls.

However, I scored big on some stuff today.  Tomorrow I'm starting on a much different, much cooler design.

IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #7 - 03/07/09 at 20:30:26

Where'd the battery go?

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 03/07/09 at 22:37:20

Looks to be right in front of the rear wheel, top abut even with the upper edge of the swingarm

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 03/08/09 at 00:33:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/07/09 at 22:37:20:
Looks to be right in front of the rear wheel, top abut even with the upper edge of the swingarm

Nope that's his lunch.
Ever wonder why he's shed so much yet keeps the bags?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 03/08/09 at 06:43:33

Ha ha. I've got to have a place to store my girl scout cookies.  So, Mort, you made any headway with this project yet?  Any pics you can post yet?

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #11 - 03/08/09 at 06:52:55

diamond jim wrote on 03/08/09 at 06:43:33:
Ha ha. I've got to have a place to store my girl scout cookies.  So, Mort, you made any headway with this project yet?  Any pics you can post yet?

Not yet.  I busted my valve timing inspection cover yesterday trying to give the bike a tune up.  Got some metal pieces inside so I have to pull the engine cover and clean it out so none of those little bits trash my motor.  I ordered the parts online from the local dealer will call them in the AM to see if they are available.

Also, I want to get a spare air box to hack up.  I am thinking about cutting one up so I can run the tube through it and mount the little electrical panel inside it.  This will allow me a secure place to mount the electronics pluss keep the right side panel hooked up right.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 03/08/09 at 20:09:51

Hey!  I like that.  Very creative.  My battery is still there, but I'm missing the toolbox cover, which makes it look lousy.  I might experiment with your idea at some point.  I'd rather give Ranch and Home a few bucks than buy a new cover from Suzuki.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 02:28:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Variation of diamond jim's dog bowls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.