Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
exhaust (Read 253 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
exhaust
03/05/09 at 11:47:06

Hi all my silencer was shot so I fitted 34" of 2" stainless steel tube on to the end of the header pipe and pushed an 8" baffle 13" inside it fixed in place with a couple of stainless self tapers, she seems to be running fine with a fantastic sound but I am wondering if the carb would need rejeting, I am not one for super performance, I am just a bit of a plodder now, but wondering if anybody would know if the change would damage anything,,cheers,, Huh Huh

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Re: exhaust
Reply #1 - 03/05/09 at 12:05:20

If it runs decent and the header pipe isn't burning up (I didn't rejet mine a few years ago and it went gold and blue/purple within days) then you're fine. Any backfiring, hesitation, etc (or bluing of the pipe) and you'll need to adjust/rejet. For those infos, a search will provide more than enough info.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #2 - 03/05/09 at 13:04:11

thanks for that, when the weather eases I'll give it a proper run and if things start changing color I'll get in touch with Lancer the clubs carb guru maybe he might have a few kind words for me. A new silencer would have cost me over £200 this one cost in total £25 and sounds a lot better.,,cheers,,kenny

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/05/09 at 14:54:51

Kenny, I'm sure that sound is awesome.  Much different than any of the sound files I've heard or other exhausts I've had on my the bike.  There's no comparison.  The sound is in a class of it's own.  I love how it turns heads.  I think people wonder how that deep, throaty sound could possibly be coming from my little bike!  It's funny, I've been riding the bike since last summer.  No one ever even cam remotely close to mistaking my bike for a harley.  Until I did the exhaust.  In the past 3-4 weeks I've had 4 occasions were somebody either asked me about my HD and one instance where a guy literally talked about how he did this and that to his sportster (pointing at my bike) and saying this and that and finally it hit him what my bike wasn't.  I'm certain he was more a talker than a rider but still funny though.  On each of those 4 occasions the conversations came after they saw and heard me pull up first.

That's pretty much the same thing I did except I kept the same header dimensions by using 1 3/4" pipe and my 8" baffle is deeper in the pipe. The baffle is in the area underneath the heat shield.

I've now done about a dozen different mods to the baffles (I've got another identical one that I've messed around with also) and the bike sure is picky on the back pressure/free flowing dynamics.  Running straight drag pipe with no baffle hurt the low end torque.   In making minor changes to the baffle for both pressure and sound I once lost about 10mph off the top end and then tweaked it again and got the 10 mph back plus another 5 mph.  Then I'd experiment with it to change the sound and mess it up and have to do it again.  I was running with a 55 pilot jet with bleed holes, 152.5 main and no needle spacer at all, mixture screw out 1.5 turns and pod filter prior to installing this pipe and with the pipe for about 3 weeks.  During those 3 weeks my gas mileage was about 38 mpg.  (The way I ride accounts for a good bit of the poor mpg).  Last week, to see if I could get more mpg, I tried a 155 main, added two #4 washers, turned the mixture screw in 1/2 turn witht he result being that it killed the top end.  I'd be doing 60 mph, roll on the throttle and basically get nothing.  I could creep up to 70 mph at best.  Yesterday I restored the carb to the prior settings I described.  I've put about 225 miles on the bike since installing the pipe and I have not had any color change at all on the header.  It's still nice and chromey!

Kenny, can you make a sound recording of it and post it or email it?  I'd like to hear what it sounds like with a 2" pipe.  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 03/05/09 at 16:27:11

goggle carb tuning 101
read lancers' simple carb tuning in the tech section

bare minimum you got to richen er up, stock comes lean...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #5 - 03/07/09 at 01:20:54

Gave her a run, Yep she's blueing the header and popping and spluttering, it's a 130 main jet, in the crab at least I think that is the one that is called the main jet, there is no brass plug on the carbs just a slotted screw, the same on the carb on my other bike, maybe the brass plug is a US. thing, before I start changing jets I am going to try and see how it runs with another baffle, but wondering would two of them ( there the same as the one diamond jim is showing on marketplace but 2"") in the pipe cause to much back pressure, which one blue's the header , to lean or to rich,,cheers

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 03/07/09 at 04:01:41

kennycreed wrote on 03/07/09 at 01:20:54:
Gave her a run, Yep she's blueing the header and popping and spluttering, it's a 130 main jet, in the crab at least I think that is the one that is called the main jet, there is no brass plug on the carbs just a slotted screw, the same on the carb on my other bike, maybe the brass plug is a US. thing, before I start changing jets I am going to try and see how it runs with another baffle, but wondering would two of them ( there the same as the one diamond jim is showing on marketplace but 2"") in the pipe cause to much back pressure, which one blue's the header , to lean or to rich,,cheers

It's shouldn't be the baffle blueing the header.  Blueing, sputtering and popping are classic signs of the engine running too lean.  Go to the Tech Section of this site, go to the table of contents and look up "carb 101", "idle mixture screw" and "white spacer mod".

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/07/09 at 22:38:24

Your crab may be thirsty

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 03/07/09 at 23:41:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/07/09 at 22:38:24:
Your crab may be thirsty

What does his pet crustacean possibly in need of a liquid substance have to do with his bike being lean?

Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 03/08/09 at 00:12:55

it's a 130 main jet, in the crab at least I think.

Not sure why he is shortin his pet crusty like this, I think its just plain mean. I hope the poor thing pinches him on the butt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 03/08/09 at 00:30:43

Grin

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 03/08/09 at 09:26:33

HOT DANG!!!!  I think I just made the perfect baffle for this exhaust.  WOW!!!  Took it for a test drive and love it.  I'm going to ride some more cause the sun is out then later I'll give you the deets.  I've got to draw it up cause I didn't take pics.  Crap!!  It's a 16" long pipe that fit snug into my 1.75" exhaust.  I did the triangular cut outs with the tabs pushed in.  It's just that I did only 10 tabs but they are large ones with each tab just about reaching the other side of the pipe.  I will take pics if I pull the pipe off to do anything else to it.  

What do i need to do to post a vid on youtube?  I've got a Hi-8 vid camera with separate mic input but I don't have a way to convert it to digital format or save it to a file.  Any low $$$ ways to solve this problem?  I've got to get a vid with audio posted!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:46:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.