Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifting without the Clutch (Read 150 times)
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Shifting without the Clutch
03/04/09 at 14:07:22

I have occasionialy shifted gears in whatever I was driving (car, truck, motorcycle, whatever) without using the clutch.  I apply a little pressure to the shifter, back off of the throttle and it slips out and then into gear.  There is no grinding or anything.

My question, "Is this OK?"  I find myslef doing it alot more on the savage, maybe I am lazy but it just seems easier and natural for me.  I do not want to damage anything, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks
Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Shifting without the Clutch
Reply #1 - 03/04/09 at 14:22:24

It should be ok if done correctly....  no power on OR no decelerating.

Cars have synchronized trannys (newer cars fully sync'd).  The bike has a Constant Mesh tranny.

Different in that you can grind a car tranny if the power is not applied correctly, i.e. if you weren't all the way in gear when you hit the gas.  

On the bike, if power is applied wrong, it can do odd things, like find false neutrals.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 03/04/09 at 14:26:16

I always advise to learn how to "speed shift" anyway just in case of clutch failure.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 03/04/09 at 16:01:35

I never use the clutch if I am drag racing a motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ian22
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Trinity, Florida
Reply #4 - 03/05/09 at 17:06:17

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/04/09 at 14:22:24:
On the bike, if power is applied wrong, it can do odd things, like find false neutrals.  

This seems to always happen to me when going into 5th gear.  It has never happened to me on any other bike.  I didn't know I was doing something wrong.  What should I do to correct this?

IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #5 - 03/05/09 at 18:10:40

This more than OK its encouraged to learn.  I don't know much about cars but when it comes to bikes the clutches are designed to function this way.  I hear it often called power shifting and as bill67 mentions it used a lot in racing.

It also comes in real handy when your clutch cable breaks Smiley  You will get the feel for it as you go.  In my GS850 I used to do it a lot because of the crotch rocket inline 4 you just couldnt help it Smiley

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
Mortation

Reply #6 - 03/05/09 at 18:12:07

ian22 wrote on 03/05/09 at 17:06:17:
T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 03/04/09 at 14:22:24:

This seems to always happen to me when going into 5th gear.  It has never happened to me on any other bike.  I didn't know I was doing something wrong.  What should I do to correct this?

Listen to the engine as your riding.  You will get to learn how it sounds at the sweet spot and you will just slide between gears.  You have to drop off the throttle thoug, dont roll on it when trying to power shift.

1988 LS650 - Candy Apple Red w/ Ghost Flames, Harley muffler, S40 seat, white spacer Mod, #55 pilot, #155 main.
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #7 - 03/05/09 at 18:21:19

Thanks guys.  That is about what I thought, without the technical stuff.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:25:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifting without the Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.