Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anyone buy the Performance Carburetor Kit ? (Read 605 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Re: Anyone buy the Performance Carburetor Kit ?
Reply #15 - 03/28/09 at 21:18:55

Go ahead and get the raptor 660 petcock. I don't believe there is a vacume port on the vm carb to open the stock petcock. And you will eventually have troubles with the stock unit so switch now.
until you do you can ride on prime just don't run too far on a tank cause you'll have no reserve.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 03/29/09 at 06:00:46

jgardner150 wrote on 03/28/09 at 12:47:19:
Let me start off by saying I'm not super smart when it comes to carbs but I am mechanical inclined.

I've been searching the forms after buying the Performance Carburetor Kit and I can't find a clear answer to my question. I have a 2005 s40 with the stock petcock (works off a vacuum). Will this continue to work with this kit or do I need to do a swap to the raptor petcock (manual on/off/reserve)?

I'm a newbie so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

It was correctly stated that the VM carb does not come with a vacuum port but I do install one as part of the setup when putting a carb kit together.  I change the main jet, pilot jet, adjust needle clip position, install the UFO (easy on a 38mm VM but takes some work on the 36mm VM), drill and tap & install the vacuum port,  and then connect the throttle cable to the slide and assemble the carb.  

IP Logged
jgardner150
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 03/29/09 at 19:14:48

WOW.... That is great! You made my day Lancer. Can't wait to get it and install it before riding season up here in Ohio.  Grin

Thanks,
John

IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #18 - 05/13/09 at 12:48:16

So if one got this Performance Carb... would that eliminate all the lovely backfiring?  Smiley

I have a sportster Muff that I am trying to figure out how to put on.   Stock, the bike is backfiring like crazy and I want to do the white spacer mod.  But if I can figure out how to mount the exhaust, the bike would prob need a rejet (of which I have no skill in doing).

So (theoretically) would one of these carbs just make everything dandy??  Wink

I think I could prob manage to remove / replace a carb..well...maybe...

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #19 - 05/13/09 at 13:20:25

If you're handy enough to remove and/or replace a carb, then you're more than qualified enough to rejet your existing carb.  I had never messed with carbs before I tore into my bike a few months ago.  All you have to do to rejet your carb is remove it from the bike, remove the lower float bowl, unscrew the existing jets out w/ a small screwdriver and screw the  new ones in.  That's it!  Done and all you have to do now is match your intake and exhaust to the new jets and voila, no more backfiring and a much better riding bike!!!  

P.S.   This would be the ideal time to do the white spacer mod in the carb as well.  This mod only took patience with the small screwdriver and a steady hand.  That's it and 99% of my backfiring is gone.  

P.P.S.  Lefty Loosey and Righty Tighty is just about all the mech. knowledge you need along with a Clymer's Manual and the knowledge/posters on here.  HTH

-Matt

IP Logged
trapper_canada
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Thumpers are FUN!

Reply #20 - 05/13/09 at 13:31:38

matt_savage wrote on 05/13/09 at 13:20:25:
If you're handy enough to remove and/or replace a carb, then you're more than qualified enough to rejet your existing carb.  I had never messed with carbs before I tore into my bike a few months ago.  All you have to do to rejet your carb is remove it from the bike, remove the lower float bowl, unscrew the existing jets out w/ a small screwdriver and screw the  new ones in.  That's it!  Done and all you have to do now is match your intake and exhaust to the new jets and voila, no more backfiring and a much better riding bike!!!  

P.S.   This would be the ideal time to do the white spacer mod in the carb as well.  This mod only took patience with the small screwdriver and a steady hand.  That's it and 99% of my backfiring is gone.  

P.P.S.  Lefty Loosey and Righty Tighty is just about all the mech. knowledge you need along with a Clymer's Manual and the knowledge/posters on here.  HTH

-Matt

hmmm....

I thought the white spacer mod becomes irrelevant when you change the jets?  Or do they do different things?

Finally...hope this isn't too dumb... but how do you know what size jet to use?  Embarrassed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 05/13/09 at 14:08:58

trapper_canada wrote on 05/13/09 at 13:31:38:
hmmm....

I thought the white spacer mod becomes irrelevant when you change the jets?  Or do they do different things?

Finally...hope this isn't too dumb... but how do you know what size jet to use?  Embarrassed

The jets and white spacer each control a different part of the throttle range, but each has an effect on the other as well.
pilot for low range
spacer for mid
and main for WOT
Pilot sizing depends on the adjustment, if you are 3 turns out, go up
or no turns go down.
spacers is more feel than anything else.  adjust this last.
Main sizing is a simple test.  Find a hill that you can go up WOT and achieve a steady speed.  Back off of WOT a little, if it seems to pick up a little than go up a jet.
And always look to your sparky for comformation, white lean, black rich, tan perfect.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/13/09 at 14:44:26

Find a hill  lol!  In Florida.... we be flat!  Roll Eyes

Does the jetset kit include the white spacer?  

What is the reasoning for increasing the jetsize if you back off @ WOT and there is an increase?  Newbie just trying to understand the relationships and such!  Thanks

Also, the floatbowl gasket (included int he jetset kit), does this need to be ... how do you apply and can you reuse?  I mean... the constant switching settings... or when you finally have the carb dialed in... then you apply the gasket/gasket sealer?

Thanks Wolf

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 05/13/09 at 17:45:10

anyone looking at a carb update should check out the mikuni tm40 pumper install. the vm is obsolete in comparison, no matter how many mods you make to the vm to make it act like a pumper. anyone interested in how well the tm40 performs can check out the dr650 and xr650 sites over at thumper talk.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/13/09 at 20:24:53

Wolf, go WOT on the Sky Way Bridge that's the tallest "hill"in Florida

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 05/13/09 at 20:40:11

Wolf wrote on 05/13/09 at 14:44:26:
[highlight]
What is the reasoning for increasing the jetsize if you back off @ WOT and there is an increase?

Also, the floatbowl gasket (included int he jetset kit), does this need to be ... how do you apply and can you reuse?

If your main is lean and the white spacer is kinda right, when you go WOT, it doesn't go as good as it could so when you back off to spacer it gets better.

I guess you could use the same analogy between low range and mid.  But it would be easier to find a hill even in FL that you could go steady speed up and drop the throttle a little.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolf

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/14/09 at 03:46:00

Well, we do have lil' bridges that go up and over the intercoastal waterway  (like a twist of the throttle and coast...), and if if pop in the cam, (don't forget the cam chain upgrade), upgraded carb... I'll be doing wheelies!  lol

It'll cost me a buck each way over the Sunshine... but I go over that ... well, when the bike is up and running again.

PS.  I'll be looking at getting the bells and whistles perfomance carb ... AFTER  I get thru with the Bore Tech...ing  (Ls660) my cylinder.  I could have bought a new bike! sheeeeesh!   Roll Eyes  

Nah, still saved money and got tools to boot!  ... and a "future" kick a$$ bike in return!

Wolf  Cheesy

ps.  I have the perfomance cam, nitrided can chain on order, verslavy, Bore tech bore/hone and carbon treat cylinder, O/S piston kit, all new gaskets, new stainless bolt set, K&N 1250 air filter, Autozone crank breather, reskinned driver seat (stock for now), Craftsman tool kit, shop supplies, Clymers manual, Savage CD.... and this Forum of Savage fanatics!  hehe  ... so far!  Shocked

Oh, a spare engine too!  Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 05/15/09 at 19:33:35

Wolf wrote on 05/14/09 at 03:46:00:
Well, we do have lil' bridges that go up and over the intercoastal waterway  (like a twist of the throttle and coast...), and if if pop in the cam, (don't forget the cam chain upgrade), upgraded carb... I'll be doing wheelies!  lol

It'll cost me a buck each way over the Sunshine... but I go over that ... well, when the bike is up and running again.

PS.  I'll be looking at getting the bells and whistles perfomance carb ... AFTER  I get thru with the Bore Tech...ing  (Ls660) my cylinder.  I could have bought a new bike! sheeeeesh!   Roll Eyes  

Nah, still saved money and got tools to boot!  ... and a "future" kick a$$ bike in return!

Wolf  Cheesy

ps.  I have the perfomance cam, nitrided can chain on order, verslavy, Bore tech bore/hone and carbon treat cylinder, O/S piston kit, all new gaskets, new stainless bolt set, K&N 1250 air filter, Autozone crank breather, reskinned driver seat (stock for now), Craftsman tool kit, shop supplies, Clymers manual, Savage CD.... and this Forum of Savage fanatics!  hehe  ... so far!  Shocked

Oh, a spare engine too!  Wink

Dude, you are going to love the silicone carbide cylinder treatment   Wink

If I could only do one engine mod (not counting rejetting the stock carb), but an internal change to the engine, it would be the silicone carbide treatment.  I would do that before the performance cam, or compression ratio increase, or exhaust port job, or ?  That treatment will add thousands of miles to the life of the engine due to reduced wear, friction and heat.  It adds life.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 05/18/09 at 19:23:06

I meant to add this link to the previous posting but forgot to at the time, this is where I had my cylinder bored and the silicone carbide treatment work done.  They were fast and did a very nice job

http://www.bore-tech.com/

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 12:15:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone buy the Performance Carburetor Kit ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.