Send Topic Print
lookin' (Read 397 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

lookin'
03/01/09 at 21:45:25

To ditch the stock muffler for something that doesnt weigh a freakin ton. Plus I dont imagine it'll be too much longer before the bottom of it rusts out and its ugly. I would highly prefer not to rejet. I like my mileage. Any options?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: lookin'
Reply #1 - 03/01/09 at 22:52:51

Supertrap with only 6 or so baffles..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/02/09 at 00:00:00

particular model number or anything?

IP Logged
dr1445

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/02/09 at 08:02:17

this is called a dunstall style muffler from jc whitney. hope the link works. i have used the shorty meg version which is the same basic setup. i replaced the fiberglass packing with the stainless steel wool type. remember that the savage carb is setup lean from the the factory, and any replacement muffler that is lighter than the stock model will flow better making a leaner condition.
www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductBrowse?storeId=10101&Pr=p_Product.CATENTRY...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 03/02/09 at 09:04:25

BurnPgh wrote on 03/01/09 at 21:45:25:
To ditch the stock muffler for something that doesnt weigh a freakin ton. Plus I dont imagine it'll be too much longer before the bottom of it rusts out and its ugly. I would highly prefer not to rejet. I like my mileage. Any options?

Remember,  there is a point where too lean affects mileage too.  Plus, the heat can burn valves that will make mileage drop quick.

It's a fine line, good luck.

I chose to rejet and got power....  now I just have to stop using the power....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 03/02/09 at 11:44:56

Been too long for me, Burn, sorry. Mine looks like the one on that HUGE Bike,TRike, Car thing. Personally, I lean toward the look of the Dyna takeoff mufflers. The $$$ difference is huge. I went with the TRapp because its tuneable & a reakl mechanic could get the performance out of the bike. Some guys here are getting good mileage & better performance. Its a trade off, but just getting less MPG is no proof of power increase.
I dont know what the MPG would drop to with a proper jetting on a dyna exhaust, but it would increase airflow & get some opwer increase, only spend about $20.00 instead of around $300.00 (IIRC). The Difference in MPG, say its 5MPG difference, One deliver 45, the other 50, Then with gas at $2.00/gallon, 100 miles on the 50 MPG exhaust,$4.00, On with the 45 MPG,, $4.40, so every 100 miles saves 40 cents, in order to save the difference between the High MPG exhaust & the Low MPG( Mo fun ride, too) & save 4-0 cents / 100 miles, & save, say $280.00, have to ride 70,000 miles.( Dang, did I get the decimal off?) 700 forty cent pieces =$280.00 & it takes 100 miles to save the 40 cents, so 700 times 100 miles ,, wow,, its really 70,000 miles? Yikes!
So, if you ride a lot, you can reach parity sooner. Me? Id Lo buck it & have the $$ in my pocket right now.Well, Maybe I would, heck, Its easy to pretend I know what Id do, BUt who CARES what I wopuld do, anywway, this is Your call,, just tossing out ideas.

Comes down to How much $$$ can we spend to save MPG & it actually BE a savings?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/02/09 at 12:02:42

BurnPgh wrote on 03/02/09 at 00:00:00:
particular model number or anything?

The supertrapp web site list it.
Every once in a while someone sells one here, usually less than $200.
Dealers want over $300 for 'em.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/02/09 at 13:21:33

supertrapp is way too expensive. Seems there are several dyna take offs that work but on account of I have a low tolerance for buttholes Id like to be able to go in and rattle off a part number without having to shovel a bunch of manure or deal with comments when I say its for a suzuki. What "style" dyna take offs have y'all got?

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #8 - 03/02/09 at 13:22:56

I've got a Jardine on mine but it's gonna cost a good $250+

IP Logged
gazoo07

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lakeland, FL
Reply #9 - 03/02/09 at 13:49:10

Definitely Supertrapp. It costs a little more than the universals but it bolts right up. No  adapters or shims. Great fit, sounds great and it is adjustable so you wont have to re-jet if you use 4 to 6 discs and and you will get performance improvements even if you dont re-jet http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/ls650exh.html. And later if you decide to re-jet you can just add more discs. This is the cheapest price I have been able to find on it http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/detail.asp?product_id=728-50650. The picture is of it is on an Intruder but this is the right part # for the Savage/S40 728-50650
Gazoo www.lubedealer.com/1lube

Enjoy the journey as much as the destination!
Amsoil at wholesale prices! www.lubedealer.com/1lube
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/02/09 at 14:13:53

It looks like they've improoved the design alittle.  It used to be a rolled cone and tube welded together.  Now looks like a 1 pc. construction.

And yeah, best price I've seen.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #11 - 03/02/09 at 15:24:32

Well they don't ship outside the US which is a real bumber as I already had my finger on the 'order' button.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Jumprefusal
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/02/09 at 15:40:57

I bought that same dunstall style muffle dr1445 linked to and it's great.  First I tried a generic shorter (I believe 16") muffler they sell in all the catalogs but the baffle was awful, it was too short, and it was just plain ugly.

This one on the other hand is nice and long, looks great, and sounds spectacular.  It also seems to have the build quality of a much more expensive muffler.  I've gotten a few comments on how good it looks.

You will definetly need an expander, it's the same size as the header pipe.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #13 - 03/02/09 at 17:17:46

I also have a Jardine and like it, sounds good and looks good, loud when you get on it and fairly quiet at low idle speeds...

heres the order and description page

86-04 SUZUKI LS650 SAVAGE, 05-07 S40

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #14 - 03/02/09 at 22:29:22

If you want a Dyna canister, you want to ask for one that will fit a 2004 or earlier with NO crossover.  Just go up to the parts counter and ask them if they have any take-offs.

Bolts right on, but, you WILL need to re-jet.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:32:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lookin'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.