Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage has been sitting for over 4 years... (Read 459 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage has been sitting for over 4 years...
Reply #15 - 03/02/09 at 10:13:35

R&R of the cables is fairly easy.  Shouldn't take more than an hour if you don't break anything.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 03/02/09 at 11:28:24

I think the "Get it running first" idea was spot on. Be a drag to spend a load of $$$ on tires & have an engine hassle.
Was it parked where the sun was shining on it? The belt is tough, but UV may weaken it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dan savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/02/09 at 17:14:37

It was parked in an un-insulated garage the whole time. Hasnt seen much light or anything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/02/09 at 22:18:45

I get the 100% silicone oil used in copier fuser sections from copier repair places to put on rubber & plastic. Its much better than armorall. Better get all U can, its not used so much any more. Just dont buy the stuff thats thick as syrup.Get the thin stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 03/03/09 at 15:54:04

Charon,how did that chevons techron work for you,I've never heard of it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 03/03/09 at 18:21:11

Chevron's Techron additive is supposed to be the same stuff they put in their fuel. It is available at WalMart and no doubt other fine retailers, in the same area as other gas additives including Sea Foam. Its MSDS includes such stuff as about 55% petroleum distillates and 35% Stoddard Solvent aka mineral spirits, and a couple of other solvents including benzene and xylene. Truthfully, I couldn't tell any difference after using it, so I figure either A) the carburetor was already clean enough and the Techron wasn't needed or B) it didn't work.

Some years ago I read an item saying Yamaha had developed a fuel system cleaner that DID work, in response to lots of warranty claims. Years ago they shipped bikes with fuel in them, remaining from their startup testing. Some of those bikes sat for a long time with fuel in the tanks and carbs, and their dealers were billing them a lot of money for carb cleaning on new bikes. So Yamaha put the boys in the lab to work developing a cleaner. I don't know what it was called, nor whether it is available to the public. Might be worth looking into.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
2nd savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com Is
the standard!

Cope S.C.
Reply #21 - 03/13/09 at 20:33:17

I would just get it running then inspect all the functions of every part of the bike. Then get the things you need from the most important to the least so it won't cost you alot all at once.

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #22 - 03/13/09 at 21:47:50

I'd get one of those cable lubing devices and an aerosol can of cable lube at the cycle shop and lube the cables before just replacing them. I do it every spring as part of seasonal stuff and it really smooths them out. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #23 - 03/13/09 at 23:10:50

Max_Morley wrote on 03/13/09 at 21:47:50:
I'd get one of those cable lubing devices and an aerosol can of cable lube at the cycle shop and lube the cables before just replacing them. I do it every spring as part of seasonal stuff and it really smooths them out. Max

I use disposable 1ml syringe and engine oil. 15 or 20 drops down the cable, cheap clean and effective. I've never had a snapped clutch or throttle cable.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 03/14/09 at 05:37:01

For those who want to lube a cable on the cheap, do it the Savage Greg way.  

Verified as a "cheap and good method" by the Yoda Institute, BTW.

Baggie, poke cable thru baggie at the corner.  Rubber band wrapped over corner edge of baggie (band stretched tight).    Baggie is now one with the outside jacket of the cable.

Put 1/2 cup of heavy lube oil into baggie.   Seal baggie good.  Suspend cable and baggie vertically with a catch pan underneath.   Oil migrates from baggie through cable to drip pan, removing trash and junk as the bulk of it moves through the cable.  Full saturation of heavy oil remains inside cable jacket and penetrates the moving cable completely too.

Is slow, takes a day or so to work.   Works well using the HEAVIEST GEAR OILS you have around your garage so the lubrication results stick around for years and years and years.

Does not require replacement of cables with expensive new cables.

A cagey old fart can do this to a cable without even removing it from the natural run it takes down the handlebars and frame of the bike.   I have done this trick to two bikes by only taking the cable end loose at the top and putting tin foil under the lower end making a "funnel tunnel" to carry the drip oil over the side of the engine down to the oil drain catch pan.

Life doesn't have to be hard or expensive unless you just WANT to do it that way.  

Up to you though.   Us old farts have patience enough for stuff like this.  Young people tend to bust stuff when they try out our old fart tricks -- "too much foolish energy they have" sez Master Yoda.

<grin>

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #25 - 03/16/09 at 03:52:44

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 03/14/09 at 05:37:01:
For those who want to lube a cable on the cheap, do it the Savage Greg way.  

Verified as a "cheap and good method" by the Yoda Institute, BTW.

Baggie, poke cable thru baggie at the corner.  Rubber band wrapped over corner edge of baggie (band stretched tight).    Baggie is now one with the outside jacket of the cable.

Put 1/2 cup of heavy lube oil into baggie.   Seal baggie good.  Suspend cable and baggie vertically with a catch pan underneath.   Oil migrates from baggie through cable to drip pan, removing trash and junk as the bulk of it moves through the cable.  Full saturation of heavy oil remains inside cable jacket and penetrates the moving cable completely too.

Is slow, takes a day or so to work.   Works well using the HEAVIEST GEAR OILS you have around your garage so the lubrication results stick around for years and years and years.

Does not require replacement of cables with expensive new cables.

A cagey old fart can do this to a cable without even removing it from the natural run it takes down the handlebars and frame of the bike.   I have done this trick to two bikes by only taking the cable end loose at the top and putting tin foil under the lower end making a "funnel tunnel" to carry the drip oil over the side of the engine down to the oil drain catch pan.

Life doesn't have to be hard or expensive unless you just WANT to do it that way.  

Up to you though.   Us old farts have patience enough for stuff like this.  Young people tend to bust stuff when they try out our old fart tricks -- "too much foolish energy they have" sez Master Yoda.

<grin>

Oldfeller

That was a good idea.  I did it yesterday, even left the cables on the bike.  I just need to hook them back up today, but since it is supposed to rain today and tomorrow, I have plenty of time.

Thanks

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 03/16/09 at 07:12:21

Throttle and clutch cables were fine in the one I ressurrected after 15 years of sitting.
Mine had a stuck fron master cyl, which ironically came loose with a 2 hour wiggling and spraying routine and is making and retaining pressure.
I may have to do tires, but I have deep tread and hold air. I may ride it till I get to the first flat. Dry rot cracks are in a way over rated for a bike this anaemic and this poor handling. Yes I wont slap it on a race bike and run the dragon but lets face it its a savage.

Carbs and tank were all I am doing other than prettying up the rusty crap. The bike was around a lot of pesticide I guess, it left the paint pretty intact, but ruined all the chrome.
Yea mine also had a shot starter clutch and gears. Had to swap that. Ohhh Joy.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:18:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage has been sitting for over 4 years...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.