Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is a trailer conceivable? (Read 147 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is a trailer conceivable?
03/01/09 at 20:10:21

Is it conceivable to pull a little trailer with this bike?  I've never really seen anyone pulling a trailer with a bike this small.  I was thinking one of those harbor freight cheap-o trailers but I admittedly know very little about hitch/light set up.  I don't want to load hardly anything on the trailer, I'm just looking for a way to bring my wife and dog with me on short trips to the river or to campus (10 miles not in excess of 50mph).  The trailers typically weigh less than 200 lbs themselves, my dog is about 40 lbs. My wife about 110 lbs (though she'll be on pillion of course).  Just thought this would be loads cheaper/easier than a sidecar (though loads less cool/fun) Any thoughts or attempts?

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Is a trailer conceivable?
Reply #1 - 03/01/09 at 20:47:15

I'm not sure trailoring a dog or wife on an open trailer like that is legal, you might want to ask someone in your state who knows about such things (SPCA eg). Wink..andfranky I don't think it is wise.  However, if you search on the Guzzi sites (wildguzzi.com), there are several knowledgable trailor guys there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/01/09 at 20:53:39

If all you are taking are the dog, the wife, a loaf of bread, a wedge of cheese and a bottle of wine then large hard bags would do you well (search paladin and bags)

I can't see the need for a trailer unless your dog needs to take his house with him. $2 or 300 for the trailer, and about the same for the custom hitch.  Sure you'd be able to carry way more, but do you want to?

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/01/09 at 21:35:08

do an all posts search, been hashed over here b4...
have seen vendors advertise hitches and trailer wiring for the ls 650
google?

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
WoodLark
YaBB Newbies

Earth is the insane
asylum of the
universe!

South Carolina, USA
Reply #4 - 03/02/09 at 04:37:16

While I'm sure a trailer is possible, I'm not at all sure it would be advisable. The brakes on the LS650 are designed for a 352 lb bike with rider. With the weights you described, you would be more than doubling that. Also, carrying living passengers in a trailer is highly unsafe (and illegal in most places). If you can resolve the weight issue, I think you would be much better off with a sidecar.

IP Logged
troglobil

'08 S40

Winder, GA
Reply #5 - 03/02/09 at 05:07:29

j wrote on 03/01/09 at 20:10:21:
. My wife about 110 lbs (though she'll be on pillion of course).  

I think y'all missed this part.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 03/02/09 at 05:09:31

I almost think a trailer is better and safer than a side car.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 03/02/09 at 05:27:27

Mothers on pedal bicycles pull trailers with their babies in them.  One gentleman here built a hitch that mounted to the siderail and clamped to the shock mounts for extra strength.

My slip-on sissy-bar luggage worked so well I have been thinking of a gooseneck trailer hitch simply attached to the sissy bar.  Trailer would be an ultra light, maybe 50 pounds unladen with at most a gross weight of 200 pounds.  To that purpose I have two spare front wheels in the garage.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 03/02/09 at 05:53:08

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 03/02/09 at 06:02:18

I think the problem with a trailer isn't just the brakes. A couple of issues exist. One, the extra width of trailer in traffic. Two, the trailer doesn't exactly follow you around a curve - it tracks toward the inside of the curve and has to be watched. Three, it needs running lights and stop and turn signals, and there might be some inadequacies with the electrical system on the bike. Most important, it will be unbraked and if you ever have to stop in a hurry it may very well jackknife you and drop you on the pavement.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 03/02/09 at 06:32:23

Happened across this the other day,.... expensive, but very classy lines...
Made for Royal Enfield.... much less power than a Savage...
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/sidecars-trailers/motorcycle-trailers/inder-...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 03/02/09 at 08:44:17

I had an old(er) welder in ND make a hitch that was easily removable for my 650. The trailer I use is a little 4'X4' kit with 8" tires I got from Menards, a mega chain hardware/homeware store.

The trailer with a plywood floor and a 7' 2"X8" bolted on (to carry the bike behind the pickup) weighs in at a hundred pounds. With that behind the bike you don't even know it's there except for the bouncy noise it makes.

The problem I've found towing with the Sav is that when the weight back there gets up around the weight of the empty bike, things start going screwy with control. A wobble starts to build slowly in the front end at a certain speed and doesn't go away when you slow back down. I tried redistribution of the weight and that helped, but not enough for me to try hauling more than 200 pounds gross so far I'm a musician and the bike would be a nice way to haul gear to one nighters.

A big part of that problem could be that my fork oil needs replacing and is low on one side I think. I intend more testing this spring once I can get the bike out from under the snow covered tarp in the back yard to work on the front end. And I wonder if a fork brace might help with the stability issue as well.

I agree that a sidecar would be cool for my needs. Too costly, and unless it's a quick remove, I think that's not in the future plans. And although the little woman on a recliner on the trailer at 60 mph would make for an interesting arrest report . . .

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is a trailer conceivable?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.