Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Headlight mod (Read 364 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Headlight mod
02/28/09 at 10:53:20

I'm just about finished with raising the headlight.  I've got a few things to tighten and I still need to run the wires into the headlight housing. The wires are more than long enough plus another 4" probably.  I removed the turn signal mounts then put them back on but backwards.  That way the flat part, or what is normally the outside part of the clamps where the turn signals mount, is facing to the front.  The chrome support brackets were cut from some heavy chromed steel brackets that I got at the Chrome Shop on my way to Atlanta that I mentioned in the other posts. I've added another support in back that goes between the back bottom of the light to on of the bolt holes that holds the cable support.  I used acorn nuts on the front for a more finished look.  

« Last Edit: 03/01/09 at 20:58:13 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Headlight mod
Reply #1 - 02/28/09 at 11:40:45

don't know if you're heading that way,..but it creates a nice space for a good size toll bag under the headlight.... normally, they'll rub the fender on a front end dive....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 02/28/09 at 11:46:27

I hadn't thought of that but it's an excellent idea.  Cool! I can raise the light up and down by loosening the turn signal brackets and a slight modification to the rear support.  I could put one on and adjust the height of the light so they fit just right together.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 03/01/09 at 21:08:49

All done.  I dig it.  Raised the headlight about 6" and forward about 1.5".  Also, I didn't paint the inside of the horn black.  In looking through my parents garage the other weekend I found a black horn identical to ours.  It's been in the garage there for a while.  It came out of a '78 Datsun 280Z I had in high school!  Same lettering on it and everything.  I just swapped out the inner ring.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 03/02/09 at 05:29:45

I added a bracket to the risers for rear support of the light.  It doesn't really need it but it makes it even more solid than the stock mount setup.  A threaded rod with rubber bushings allows adjustment of tension for the rear light support and minimize any vibration.

Tonight I'll look at mounting the small tool bag up under the headlight.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 03/02/09 at 05:52:30

Very cool! What are the benefits of raising the lights? Simply asthetic?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 03/02/09 at 06:08:38

Pretty much.  I think it gives a different personality to the front end.  Some may not care for it.  I like it.  Plus the rear support for the light adds some stability to the risers.  The risers didn't have much flex before but even less now.  Some people have mentioned problems with riser flex with aftermarket risers when you get to 6" or taller.  My setup now is no different flexwise than with the stock dragbar risers. The hardest thing was finding the longer riser bolts.  Those risers use 1/2"x20 thread bolts.  You can find up to 4" long bolts at some hardware stores.  I had to order my 5 1/2" bolts online.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 03/02/09 at 06:55:21

I kinda' like it,...and I kinda' don't..... Huh
Makes your fork look longer,...
kinda' like that,... and kinda' don't...

Excellent planning, documenting, execution, and result....
Definitely suits your bike, and makes it stand out...

If I didn't know you did it, I might not notice,...and I'd just wonder why your bike has a different stance than other Savages...
and I enjoyed watching the process,...Thanks...  
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 03/02/09 at 08:16:45

Like you, I both liked it and didn't like it.  But it grew on me. It puts more mass higher on the front end which kind of gives it a slightly different look in my opinion.  I think ultimately it would look better with more of a teardrop shaped headlight than the stock round one.  I think the round one looks too much like a chromed railroad crossing warning light!

Over the past few days I have set it to different heights, looked at it, left to grab a bite or play with the kids, returned to look at it again, readjust it again and so on.   Being mounted on the turn signal brackets, I can slide it up and down.  From it's current position it can go up another 1.5" or down to maybe 1/2" lower than stock setup.  Each position I tried I both liked from some angles but then not from other angles.  The exact position it's at now was selected by my 10 year old daughter.  I got her opinion while raising and lowering it in 1/2" increments.  The current position was her favorite.  She doesn't know a lot about bikes but knows what she likes!

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #9 - 03/02/09 at 14:09:24

I think with an added tool bag up there it would be very natural. I only find it odd when seen from an angle. Front on I like it a lot. Not bad work my friend!

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 03/02/09 at 14:31:54

Hmmm, with the light waaaaay up there, there's room for a tour tank!

Grin

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 03/02/09 at 16:16:23

I'm working on the tool bag this evening.  I'll post pics later.  

I'll ride with it for a few days.  If I find I don't completely like it where it's at I'll lower it and inch, ride a few days and so on.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #12 - 03/02/09 at 16:46:30

i love it! the illusion of longer forks looks awesome! cant wait to see the bag attached.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 03/02/09 at 19:23:56

With the tool bag and black drag bar.  I definitely like it better with the tool bag.  

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #14 - 03/02/09 at 20:55:18

perfect! filled in the gap perfectly and looks awesome! im also thinking about mounting the bag below the skull if i have room below the jaw. thanks for the updated pics

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Headlight mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.