Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yea , this is another post about squeaking brakes. (Read 109 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Yea , this is another post about squeaking brakes.
02/27/09 at 19:46:22

Stop me if you have heard this one.  The man goes into the bar and tells the bartender, "Mister my brakes squeak."

I bought my LS650 with about 3000 miles on it.  After 1000 miles or so of fairly hard riding (All my riding is hard on the bike because I weigh 300 pounds. Also, I tend to use the front break almost exclusively.) the front brake pads needed replacing.   Following the recommendations that I had read on the site, and with a lot of help from Serowbot, the stock pads were replaced with EBC organic pads.  

After only about 100 miles, the front brake began to squeal so badly that people in neighboring cars at stop lights would stare.  I tried scuffing up the rotor.  No help.  

After another 3000 miles, I couldn't stand it any longer.  I figured that the pads were badly glazed, I once again replaced them with the EBC organic pads. (And yes, I used the never squeak goop on the pad.)

When I pulled the pads, the inside pad was almost completely gone, but there  was still about 1/16 of an inch of pad on the outside pad.  Neither pad was glazed at all, just worn.

Within a 100 miles on the new pads, and they are squealing like banshees.

Oh yes, I have never gotten a pulsing when braking, so it is not the rotor.  I am at a loss.  Serobot uses the same pads on his bike, and never seems to get a squeal.  Any suggestions would be really appreciated.  I am almost ready to go back to the stock pads, which never squealed for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Yea , this is another post about squeaking bra
Reply #1 - 02/27/09 at 20:08:17

Since the stock pads didn't squeal for you I'd use them.
And you're getting lousy mileage out of them.

What works for others may not work for you, who really knows why they squeal.  I've used several pads, stock, ebc reds, now I'm on bendix.  Stock stopped better, but squealed, ebcs didn't squeal, didn't stop well. Bendix are ok, squeal alittle, stop like stock.  I got some cheap ones off ebay that I'll try next.  My trick to keeping the stock from squealing was washing with soap and water.

Because you are getting such poor mileage, I think you're dragging.

WWW   IP Logged
slyfoxS40
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Reply #2 - 02/28/09 at 10:30:52

My front brakes also squeal when I squeeze the brake for a slow stop. If I need to brake for a quicker stop it doesn't squeal. I have a 2007 S40 that now has 1000 miles with the original brakes. It was taken into the shop (it's still under warranty) a few times to stop the noise but the fixes they did were only temporary, the squeals would start again after maybe a week. It is annoying and makes me not want to use the front brake (I still use it).
You say washing the disk with soap and water can ease the problem or is it a pad inside that compartment that goes over the disk that you wash? Is there a special soap that you recommend for this?   How often should they be washed to help? How long do the pads for the disk brakes usually last?  
These probably seem like dumb questions but I"m still learning about having a bike and am asking anyway.

blue '07 new biker grandma
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/28/09 at 11:47:51

Mine rarely squeal under normal conditions, but if I get on them hard,(read full front-end dive, almost a stoppie) I occasionally get a banshee howl that would wake the dead.... even wakes me up....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/28/09 at 12:11:31

the oem pads on my 06 squeeled,at replacement time went with ebc
no squeels..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/28/09 at 15:13:15

You might check with Reelthing, he has a fancy schmancy SS rotor with holes in it. I dont know if his squeals or not, but your description of the problem, heavy load on bike, a general "UIse the front brake only" approach & wearing pads out quickly, all that together makes me wonder if you dont need a more Upscale rotor to suit your riding wtyle & deal with the loads the front brake is seeing.
As for the pad wear being somewhat uneven, a 1/16 difference is no biggee, IMO, But, if it gets worse or if itys sometrhing you just want to try to control, when you get the calliper off, look at the pins it floats on & clean & lube them, but do it in a way that will keep slick syuff off the brake parts, O'course..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Yea , this is another post about squeaking brakes.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.