Newbie's first post (Read 162 times)
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Newbie's first post
02/27/09 at 18:12:08

Bought 2003 Savage Monday; 2700 miles and garaged every day of it's life.  Selection much influenced by this site - I  need all the help I can get!

After having pulled off the sissy bar I felt that the aft end of the rails should really be attached to the fender rather than flapping about.  So I carefully taped a nut to a ring wrench, attached a washer with a dab of grease, lowered it down the sissy bar hole, slipped the original bolt back, tightened it up and found that I had trapped the wrench! Tried again with a thick washer behind the bolt - worked perfectly, just enough clearance for the wheel. I then trimmed and pressed the plugs into the holes atop the rail.

Then I decided to attach the saddlebag supports.  I removed the forward lower rail bolt, removed the middle bolt, slackened off the forward top bolt; at which point the rail pivoted down to reveal that all I had done earlier was to carefully attach a washer to the fender.  The rail is attached to the sissy bar and the sissy bar is attached to the fender!  Hence the 3 bolts rather than the 2 I thought it needed.  So I cut the bottom 2 inches off the very hard stainless sissy bar (reminder to self: buy better quality hacksaw blades) and reassembled it.  I then tried to attach the supports.  As the Suzuki stock support goes inside the fender and is quite thick, it is supplied with longer bolts which are inserted from inside the wheel well and which only just clear the tire.  After a heroic struggle I got the bolts in place only to find that the foward one was way too long; it is held by an acorn nut on the outside so must be of exactly the right length to work. Pulled it, measured it, cut it, reinstalled it; easier this time it being shorter and I more practiced.  Tightened it all up, cleaned everything and stood back to admire my work - only to realize I should have taken off the helmet lock when the rail was down.  Went and drank a couple of beers.  I guess this saga is my initiation into the joys of Savage ownership.  Next week I will try the stock screen attachment job, gerald.hughes assures me this is really easy, but he also told me he cut off his sissy bars without mentioning the need for an adequate supply of tungsten carbide tipped hacksaw blades.

IP Logged
SavRon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Re: Newbie's first post
Reply #1 - 02/27/09 at 18:23:27

Congrats on your new Savage and to the site. Your well on your way to tons of possible modifications to this bike... this site is loaded with them.

During your post, you mentioned one very important tidbit of info that stood out.....and it got my attention real quick.

Quote:
Went and drank a couple of beers.

Smiley

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 02/27/09 at 18:47:51

You should've looked to just buy a set of S40 rails instead of cutting apart the sissybar set.

The bike looks pretty cool without the rails too... There are a few bikes running around that removed the rails and filled the holes, painted, etc.

Congrats on your purchase. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Reply #3 - 02/27/09 at 19:44:26

I am looking to toss the rails, passenger seat and footpegs someday (big job if done properly) so S40 rails would be a waste of $$.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 02/27/09 at 19:53:24

Smiley

Please tell me you don't still have the tank sticker that says "Don't drink the gas or stick your lips on the header" or whatever it says.  You know it's a sin to leave that sticker on more than 24 hours after closing the deal.  

IP Logged
nicka
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucson
Reply #5 - 02/27/09 at 20:21:08

no such sticker on my bike, the photo is of Simon Tuffguy,s (I think - but I have not quite worked out the niceties of posting yet).

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #6 - 02/27/09 at 22:00:55

welcome my brutha! post some picks!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/28/09 at 18:01:31

[quote author=5C51595557565C525155380 link=1235787128/0#4 date=1235793204]

Smiley

I've been wondering what happened to Lawrence welk.. Looks like Jim kidnapped the old dude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 02/28/09 at 18:18:30

Welcome newbie,
You come from the measure once, cut twice,... drink a beer, cut it one more time... school of modding......
Me too!....
You're gonna' fit right in here.... Smiley

BTW, I'm in Tucson too... just a few blocks from CSA...
Ride safe,
Serowbot

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 02/28/09 at 18:22:05

All of the stickers and emblems have been removed (aside from the Boulevard tank emblems). Just don't have a new GOOD picture of it since then.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #10 - 02/28/09 at 18:24:38

Welcome to the "other" site you wife will not like you on... Grin

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 02/28/09 at 19:03:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/28/09 at 18:01:31:
I've been wondering what happened to Lawrence welk.. Looks like Jim kidnapped the old dude.

That's right!

You got the rest of that money yet?  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/28/09 at 19:36:11

Dadgummitt! Thats Hillarious Jim,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 02/28/09 at 19:44:37

Must be getting old....   took too long to see why the Lawerence Welk comments......

Bubbles.........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie's first post

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.