Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
License plate self destructed (Read 412 times)
jimR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

upstate NY Albany
License plate self destructed
02/27/09 at 08:12:34

Last season my plate self destructed. will a plate frame help the new plate? Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: License plate self destructed
Reply #1 - 02/27/09 at 08:22:59

Yep.  The same thing almost happened to me.  I think it is the vibration that does it.  A plate frame stiffens up the plate and it resists the "destructive" action.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #2 - 02/27/09 at 10:51:18

My license plate broke near the upper RH bolt hole, and it was because I kept bumping it with my knee (ouch!) when working in the garage.  I put a chrome license plate frame from AutoZone around it and it holds together just fine.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 02/27/09 at 11:19:29

Well lol, make sure you get a good one. The Wife and I were out with my Dad one day and something went flying past me. After we got to a red light I noticed his frame was gone lol.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 02/27/09 at 13:11:14

Yup, vibration has caused the lic. plate on both of the Savages I have owned to split ... and since plate brackets won't fit our plates (they are slightly larger than the standard U.S. m/c plate), I coated the back of the plate in duct tape ... it prevented split from spreading! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #5 - 02/27/09 at 14:31:38

I have had several motorcycles and have always mounted the plate on a piece of used rubber mudflap or converor belting. I cut it about an inch taller than the plate and put 2 holes on top to fit into the stock mounting holes.  Besides vibration, it also helps if something or someone rubs against the edge of the plate,  Just enough flexibility to move out of the way, without bending the plate.. Mudflap is stiff enough not to flop around in the breeze.  Use 4 big fender washers behind the mudflap, behind the plate and a couple in front of the mudflap at the top mount.  I did this on my '69 Triumph Daytona and it has not ruined a plate after 40 years.  Both mudflaps and conveyor belting have heavy fibers embedded in the rubber that keep it from tearing.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #6 - 02/27/09 at 14:56:51

Before I got my side mount I used another plate behind it and that really did the trick. I just put the new plate right over the old plate.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #7 - 02/27/09 at 22:17:35

glad someone brought this up, i was wondering why mine cracked. i made steel brackets behind my plate.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #8 - 02/28/09 at 13:11:53

That happened to one of the forum members during our Sept. ride in Pa. He had just a little piece of plate left at one of the corners, and didn't notice it until we all met at Cabela's.

FSO
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 02/28/09 at 13:45:13

Some of you mentioned the plate splitting and/or cracking.  Do you mean the metal license plate itself actually split into two pieces?  

IP Logged
bugsville

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gainesville, FL
Reply #10 - 02/28/09 at 16:39:36

also glad it isn't just me, mine is splitting as well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 02/28/09 at 17:23:55

I bet a guy could get a messed up mudflap from a freight company for nothing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 02/28/09 at 17:35:06

Bump.

Some of you mentioned the plate splitting and/or cracking.  Do you mean the metal license plate itself actually split into two pieces?

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #13 - 02/28/09 at 19:46:59

yes several people have posted about the plate itself partially splitting and some have broken off, and one guy had a tiny corner of the license left.  Another guy following his daughter saw a large amount of vibration on her plate enough that it could not even be read.  So it figures that the thin plate would see a lot of fatigue after a long while that would make the plate completely crack off.  I know that I've lost a turn signal bolt already - everything on a bike shakes pretty good.

so my unreinforced license plate will get a mudflap or frame or a solid backer plate to avoid cracking - sure as hell don't want to go back to the DMV anytime soon

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #14 - 02/28/09 at 20:01:34

diamond jim wrote on 02/28/09 at 17:35:06:
Bump.

Yep..   mixuture of vibrations, and wind pushing it.....   Most plates in the US are aluminum....  it has a tendency to crack after a while.

We have people that put metal plates under the lic , others the chrome frame.

I got my frame from the Local "CycleGear" store.  I think is was around 4 or 5 dollars.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:26:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › License plate self destructed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.