Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
just got my wife a 2005 s40 for her b-day! (pics) (Read 855 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: just got my wife a 2005 s40 for her b-day! (pi
Reply #30 - 03/14/09 at 08:32:18

"Loud pipes save lives"

Prove it. Cite a study.

If that statement is true, then every vehicle should have loud pipes. Including trucks, buses, locomotives, automobiles, and motorcycles. What loud pipes really do is show that you care nothing for the rest of society - those forced involuntarily to listen to your noise.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 03/14/09 at 09:12:55

i do agree with the "louder pipes are safer"

you can't put cars and trucks in this argument that they should be louder, because they are already "safer"! but the fact is that my bike is loud and i know people hear me! even if they can't see me they can hear me, which mean there is a chance that since they HEAR a motorcycle around they just might take an extra look before they change lanes. so in fact if it gives me even a 1% better chance of getting killed i'm gonna do it and i could give a fu** if that annoys someone!!!!!!

Charon wrote on 03/14/09 at 08:32:18:
"Loud pipes save lives"

Prove it. Cite a study.

If that statement is true, then every vehicle should have loud pipes. Including trucks, buses, locomotives, automobiles, and motorcycles. What loud pipes really do is show that you care nothing for the rest of society - those forced involuntarily to listen to your noise.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #32 - 03/14/09 at 17:49:38

With that new pipe, don't forget to rejet and do the needle-spacer mod.
Otherwise you'll be running way too lean and it will blue that pretty header pipe.
My header pipe still looks new with absolutely no blue-ing after 10 thousand miles.

Have fun Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 03/14/09 at 17:58:28

Anecdotally I've only been hit by a car 1 time and that was with a pretty loud pipe.

Now, I've crashed many times, and never with a cruiser. Always sportbikes.

Cruisers are safer, except if you consider that I ride slower on the cruiser than the sportbikes. Factor that in and the hit by a car analogy makes much more sense.

In my accident, she checked and started to change lanes when it was clean and, I was there when the monstrous car took its 3 1/2 eons to swicth lanes and ended up getting hit cos I can travel much much more distance than she checked in the time he took to switch lanes.

Cruisers take a lot longer to lowside or whatever, you can crunch your foot down and get your self out sometimes. Hurts your leg, like  MOFO though.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 03/14/09 at 22:45:11

ok, thanks! but how do i rejet & what is the needle-spacer mod?

vtail wrote on 03/14/09 at 17:49:38:
Otherwise you'll be running way too lean and it will blue that pretty header pipe.
My header pipe still looks new with absolutely no blue-ing after 10 thousand miles.

Have fun Grin

IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/14/09 at 23:14:05

well she absolutely loved the bike! and she even loved the sound. she said it sounded much better than the stock one we were looking at the dealership. and she said she liked how it sounded like a harley.

anyway, we rode it to the high school by our house so she could get a feel for it in the parking lot. it had been about three months since she took her motorcycle course and she wanted to get comfortable with the bike.

anyway, she really really likes the bike. said it had much more power than the bike she rode at the motorcycle course (it was a 125)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 03/14/09 at 23:53:10

congrats!
1. tell her the exhaust will get hot enough to burn holes in her pants if it rest against the pipe.
2. teach her how to pick up the bike.
3. Make sure she knows what to do in a low side so it don't become a high side.
4. at least get her high top tenni's

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #37 - 03/14/09 at 23:59:57

verslagen1 wrote on 03/14/09 at 23:53:10:
3. Make sure she knows what to do in a low side so it don't become a high side.
4. at least get her high top tenni's

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what's meant by "low side" and "high side"?  Maybe something I know by different terms?

Second the shoe comment, the stouter the better.

And killer helmet! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 03/15/09 at 00:09:26

ok, hope I get this right as the hind brain knows better.

low side, loosing traction in the rear wheel so it slides causing the seat to loose altitude.  Can be caused by locking the rear wheel or sand.

high side, what happens if the rear wheel suddenly finds traction before the seat meets pavement.  The sudden rise of the seat usually bucks the occupant over the handlebars.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #39 - 03/15/09 at 00:14:32

verslagen1 wrote on 03/15/09 at 00:09:26:
ok, hope I get this right as the hind brain knows better.

low side, loosing traction in the rear wheel so it slides causing the seat to loose altitude.  Can be caused by locking the rear wheel or sand.

high side, what happens if the rear wheel suddenly finds traction before the seat meets pavement.  The sudden rise of the seat usually bucks the occupant over the handlebars.

Ah, thanks, makes perfect sense!  Had a touch of the low side the other day.  Weather was nice, hit the back roads, which tend to have fine loose gravel in places from patch jobs, some on the corners.  Which is why it pays to go easy into the corners, until you know EXACTLY what the surface is like.  Could feel the rear slip a little, but wasn't too freaky Shocked.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #40 - 03/15/09 at 19:08:52

She liked it Yea...... Smiley

Now you need to get her a rack or saddle bags so she when she needs to run an errand, she will have an excuse to ride.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 03/16/09 at 21:44:31

can someone please tell me what it means to rejet & do the needle-spacer mod?

i tried to pm vtail but i haven't gotten a response yet...

vtail wrote on 03/14/09 at 17:49:38:

Have fun Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 03/16/09 at 22:22:54

We rejet to correct the epa mandated lean run carb.
This by itself can cause the backfire issue so many complain of.
It will also cause the header to turn gold then blue due to overheating.

1st pull your sparkplug and compare
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1222357450/1#1

next remove the brass plug and adjust your idle mixture
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822

This usually fixes most people but you've also changed you exhaust and that may affect the adjustment of the main jet.  I've got a simple test for that.  Find yourself a good long grade, one that you can go up WOT (wide open throttle) and get a steady speed with at wot.  Now back off the throttle alittle bit, does it seem to pick up a little?  If it does, you need the next size up.

The white spacer or needle spacer mod is little more difficult to determine need.  At least I think so cause I don't need.  Problems like surging while cruising along or lack of get up and go may be a reason to mess with it.

You want to tackle these mods one at a time.  Get a good feel for whats wrong then you know what you're looking for.  and read the carb tuning posts and how-to's while you're waiting.

WWW   IP Logged
mrplease
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 03/17/09 at 10:26:51

ok,i will look at the spark plug and i will remove the brass plug and adjust my idle mixture.

but what is the rejet vtail was talking about?

IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 03/17/09 at 10:42:30

You have a lot to read up about carbs to fully understand this 're-jet' concept.  I will try and paraphrase it for you:

Carbs control the air/fuel mixture going into the engine.  When you change either the air filter or exhaust you need to change the air/fuel mixture to match the new air filter or exhaust combo.  The way you do this is replace the stock jets in the carb.  There is a pilot jet, a needle jet and a main jet.  The pilot jet as well as the brass screw on the right side of the carb controls the idle and 1/4 of the low end throttle air/fuel mix.  The needle jet (the white spacer in the slide area of the carb) control the mid range air/fuel mix and the main jet controls the upper realm of the throttle air/fuel mix.  The stock jets make the bike run pretty lean from the factory on purpose.  Changing the pilot and main jet to bigger jets along with making the white spacer smaller usually fixes these air/fuel problems when an air filter that allows more air is added or an exhaust that allows more flow is added.  Hope this helps and I'm sure I missed something, but this is the basics.

-Matt

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:23:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › just got my wife a 2005 s40 for her b-day! (pics)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.