Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Savage- Beautiful in its simplicity (Read 242 times)
mattmwagar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Savage- Beautiful in its simplicity
02/26/09 at 15:19:38

I have had my S40 for two months and have been using it as main form of transportation. My car now sits lonely and neglected in the driveway. The Savage is not a big bike and it doesn't rumble or set of car alarms when you drive down the street, but at the same time it will go 75-80 mph on the interstate.There is something primal about riding around on a machine with a glorified lawn mower engine strapped to it  that will hurtle you down the road as soon as you pull back on throttle. The design of the bike is also simple and classic. It is beautiful in its simplicity and at this point I can't imagine trading it for another bike. I know other bikes have larger engines, tachometers, radios and trip meters. But they are also are on the verge of simply being like cars on two wheels. I like the idea of having a simple machine that I can push to the limit.

Do any of you have similar feelings or thoughts?

IP Logged
nightman
YaBB Newbies

Wahoo! He He

Fredericton New Brunswick
Re: The Savage- Beautiful in its simplicity
Reply #1 - 02/26/09 at 15:55:37

Awesome bike, I love it! 2005 S40, retirement gift to myself Wink

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #2 - 02/26/09 at 16:48:19

Matt, I am kind of with you.  I have an 87 and it is just a motorcycle.  I do not want any of the other stuff; radio, etc.  It is cool to just ride,  I have about gotten to the point that I can judge my speed by the sound of the engine, only very rarely looking down to check the speedo.  I really like the fact that I can tinker with it and there is only so much that I can mess up and I can probably fix whatever breaks.

I can appreciate the fully tricked out bikes, but like you said, they are almost cars on two wheels.  I really think the savage is a case of "less is more" and I like that.

Also, another post mentioned not seeing another one around.  I like that as well, I saw Savagegreasemonkey's bike once, but it is different from mine, I am still pretty stock.  Everywhere I look I see goldwings and harleys and crotch rockets, those are cool, but I like moving to a different drum, er thump.

So yeah, I think we got a cool bike.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #3 - 02/26/09 at 16:53:51

I agree, Matt.  I had a HD Softail Deluxe, which was big, beautiful and fast enough, but the S40 I have now is something special.  The simplicity you mentioned is part of its charm.  It's small enough to just hop on and take off.  One of the reasons I sold the HD was because it was too big.   And to take it out started to feel like a chore.

I'm 5'2" so having a motorcyle which weighs approximately 400 lbs. less is really nice.  I don't even have to turn it on to move it into or out of the garage.  

Rubber side down!
Cheesy

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/26/09 at 18:21:10

Quote:
.....There is something primal about riding around on a machine with a glorified lawn mower engine strapped to it  .....

Nope......  I have a Rupp Roadster mini-bike and have been 50 mph on it.... that's primal......  The LS650 is just simply rewarding....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 02/26/09 at 19:06:57

mattmwagar wrote on 02/26/09 at 15:19:38:
..... My car now sits lonely and neglected in the driveway....

Good!

My Savage is so useful I sold my truck.

Now, I don't own a cage of any type!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 02/27/09 at 10:17:15

mattmwagar wrote on 02/26/09 at 15:19:38:
Do any of you have similar feelings or thoughts?

My thoughts run like this:  Cheesy

Doug Neidermeyer: And most recently of all, a "Roman Toga Party" was held from which we have received more than two dozen reports of individual acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 02/27/09 at 10:35:39

I have loved my Savage since I bought it in 2001.  I thought it was gonna be a "starter bike," but I cannot find another motorcycle model that I like as well.  I looked at Hondas, HDs, Yamahas, and Kawasakis.  In the rare times when I've identified a bike that attracts me with its looks, I have found the price prohibitive.  I also like the fact that I know I can fix anything on this bike, and that would not be true with a V-twin.  I put over 50,000 miles on the original motor and swapped it out with a low mileage salvage motor last year.  Everything still works the way it's supposed to.  I ride to and from work and go on cross-country trips of 500+ miles, and the Savage fits me very well.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 02/27/09 at 12:55:55

Back in '02/'03 I had an old '85 Rebel ... realized I wanted a little "something else" ... a guy who lived at the other end of the street Rode by one day on a cool lookin' Bike ... didn't know what it was, but noticed he turned into a driveway at the end of my street ... went over and introduced myself and asked what kind of Bike he had (close up it was a bit of a Rat Bike to be honest) ... '87 Suzuki Savage he sez. What displacement I ask? Six-Fifty. Can I throw a leg over? By all means ... one sit and I was SOLD ... it fit perfectly! A month later I was the proud owner of a brandy new 2003 LS650 Savage. Happily Rode that beautiful teal-green Savage for 5 seasons after that (without a single mechanical issue I might add) then foolishly sold it and bought a VS800 ... my bad back started complaining right away ... had that Bike for less than six months when I sold it and bought another LS; this time a white '05 S40 ... I should NEVER have sold my original Savage!
But I love my S40!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mattmwagar
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/27/09 at 14:07:18

Thanks for all the great responses! Although I suppose I'm preaching to the converted...LOL. But it's great to get some feedback!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:26:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Savage- Beautiful in its simplicity

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.