Send Topic Print
Bike Locks (Read 97 times)
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike Locks
02/26/09 at 14:56:56

Hey, I'm going to be moving from my nice garage having house to a slightly more densely populated area in an apartment complex for a little while. I''m just curious if anyone has a good suggestion for securing bikes.

Just something to deter the average criminal. I was thinking of one of those rope tie type locks that you can buy at the hardware store. The "
100% steel" kind but they seem like they would cut easily with some bolt cutters.

Anyway, if anyone has some experience with this.

Thanks!
Ben

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike Locks
Reply #1 - 02/26/09 at 16:31:48

to deter the professional: don't debage the bike so he can look up make and model and giggle to himself.

to deter the average idiot: tie a rotrieller to it.

For everyone else: chain a wheel to the ground and hope they don't steal the chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 02/26/09 at 17:53:23

So yer saying, buy a cheap chain?? Roll Eyes

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #3 - 02/26/09 at 19:37:59

I think these armored cables are pretty good.  You need 36" minimum to lock through the rear wheel over the seat, more if you want to go around a pole or something.  The bike is light enough that you would have to lock it to a eyebolt in the concrete to prevent 2-3 guys from picking it up and throwing it in a pickup.  Fortunately a Savage is not worth much.  A disk lock with audible alarm might be good too.

http://www.amazon.com/OnGuard-Rottweiler-5026-Bicycle-Armored/dp/B000FL04SC/r...

http://www.amazon.com/XENA-XN10-ALARM-SECURITY-USA/dp/B001E9047U/ref=pd_bbs_s...

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 02/26/09 at 19:58:32

In these days of battery-powered tools, such as a drill or angle grinder with a cut-off wheel, there is probably nothing you can do to actually stop a determined thief. To deter an amateur, almost anything will help. You could use a cable-type gun lock to secure your helmet to the front brake disk. You could use almost any sort of cable lock to secure the bike to itself or to a post. A length of chain and two keyed-alike padlocks would give a lot of options. Something to consider is where you will carry it, how inconvenient it is in use (which will help determine whether you will actually use it), and of course how effective you think it might be. Properly applied around a pole, a cable lock or a chain might keep the bike from being knocked down, too.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #5 - 02/26/09 at 21:26:58

I can't remember the post; but on the advrider forum, onr of those guys that had been around the world on his BMW said that of all the places he'd been, and all the different locks he'd seen; the one that seemed to him to represent the greates deterant was a stout chain and a good lock. A pro is gonna get your bike regardless. Fortunately we own one of the least stolen bikes. I use a thick cable and round padlock, and employ the fork lock for what it's worth. That's for the ameteurs and joy riders.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
DracSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/26/09 at 21:59:22

verslagen1 wrote on 02/26/09 at 16:31:48:
to deter the professional: don't debage the bike so he can look up make and model and giggle to himself.

Best answer ever...

...I guess ultimately I should chain it to a post and assume that will deter most aholes that will mess with your stuff.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I might actually just get a real rottweiler and chain him to the bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Locks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.