pilot jet (Read 195 times)
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
pilot jet
02/24/09 at 16:50:46

I changed the main and pilot jets in the carb today.  Went from stock 145 main to 150.  Changed pilot from 42.5 to 45.
Question - the stock pilot jet had no holes in the side.  The replacement 45 has holes in the side. Does this make any difference?  I put it in anyway. Looks the same except for the holes.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: pilot jet
Reply #1 - 02/24/09 at 16:57:26

Bear wrote on 02/24/09 at 16:50:46:
... the stock pilot jet had no holes in the side.  The replacement 45 has holes in the side. Does this make any difference?  I put it in anyway. Looks the same except for the holes.

Sounds like the brass bugs must have gotten into the bag and ate little holes in it.  It should still work, though.   Grin

That's exactly how it should be.    

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 02/24/09 at 17:18:57

It does make a difference.  I put a "bleed" type pilot in mine (with the holes in it) and it ran way too rich.  The same size non-bleed shaped things right up.

Just run it and see, but if you can't lean it down enough, that's a good place to start looking.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/25/09 at 04:40:56

same thing happened to me. With holes - way to rich. No holes - just right.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #4 - 02/26/09 at 16:07:01

I can't believe that 82 people read this post and nobody found my mistake.  The stock pilot jet is 52.5  NOT  42.5.  It took a bigger magnifiying glass and my reading glasses to read the tiny stamp on the jet.  So I get to dismantle the carb again - this time I ordered a 55 pilot jet without holes in the side (some catalogs call them bleed holes others call them emulsion holes - whatever you call them, that is NOT the jet you want).  You want the plain barrelled version.
I ordered mine thru motorcyclecarbs.com -  no local dealer had any.
My local ACE hardware had replacement metric allen bolts for the float bowl and vacuum diaphram top. I wish they had been plated, they were just black steel.  There were 3 on the top that took a LIGHT tap with an impact driver to get loose.  The allen heads will solve that problem. I had a bigger problem with the needle retention screws to change out the famous white spacer.  They are SOFT.  Stripped the Phillips head off one, ordered new ones. Yes, I tired hard - was careful - used new sharp screwdriver - stripped anyway

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 02/26/09 at 18:30:40

Bear wrote on 02/26/09 at 16:07:01:
I can't believe that 82 people read this post and nobody found my mistake.  The stock pilot jet is 52.5  NOT  42.5.  It took a bigger magnifiying glass and my reading glasses to read the tiny stamp on the jet.  ........

We were waiting to see if you had more problems or if you were going to spend more money.  

Soooooo...... Why are you changing the pilot jet?????  You don't say what other MOD's you did.    

I found that the larger jet was too much.  I have the stock 52.5 but it's at the limit.  The larger pilot was turned all the way in .....   I'm running a Harley Clone Screaming Eagle turn-out (Screaming Chicken???)  that was too loud so it is now baffled down a bit.  And stock air box.  At approx 500 ft elevation (east-side PA).

Should we tell you that Lancer sells a full jet kit for less than $20.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 02/26/09 at 18:30:44

Yep, we all caught it.  We were just waiting to see what you'd do. Cheesy

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #7 - 02/26/09 at 19:22:16

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 02/26/09 at 18:30:40:
Bear wrote on 02/26/09 at 16:07:01:
I can't believe that 82 people read this post and nobody found my mistake.  The stock pilot jet is 52.5  NOT  42.5.  It took a bigger magnifiying glass and my reading glasses to read the tiny stamp on the jet.  ........

We were waiting to see if you had more problems or if you were going to spend more money.  

Soooooo...... Why are you changing the pilot jet?????  You don't say what other MOD's you did.    

I found that the larger jet was too much.  I have the stock 52.5 but it's at the limit.  The larger pilot was turned all the way in .....   I'm running a Harley Clone Screaming Eagle turn-out (Screaming Chicken???)  that was too loud so it is now baffled down a bit.  And stock air box.  At approx 500 ft elevation (east-side PA).

Should we tell you that Lancer sells a full jet kit for less than $20.  

Stock 2008 S40 except for Harley Dyna muffler.  After installing Dyna, it seemed to have low speed stumble a little until fully warmed up. Elevation 1300ft. Also plug was whitish and at full throttle, seemed to not have the same "pull".  Plan to change the needle spacer to about half thickness.  motorcyclecarbs.com has a set of washers for $6,

IP Logged
Gamma742
YaBB Newbies

2003 Suzuki Savage
LS650

San Diego, CA
Reply #8 - 02/26/09 at 20:42:27

Wow! I got the nylon washers at the local hardware store for .10 cents a washer. The ones I got from Lancer's Jet Set were metal   Undecided

Was supposed to be for the wife, but was it???
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/27/09 at 00:58:17

Hm...stock on mine was 42.5, though.

IP Logged
Bear

Electrical Engineer
- Retired - Ridin'
for 43 yrs

Central Washington State
Reply #10 - 02/27/09 at 14:39:56

dasch wrote on 02/27/09 at 00:58:17:
Hm...stock on mine was 42.5, though.

That is where I got confused.  I read 42.5 in some manual and assumed that was what I had.  When I took the actual stock jet out of my 2008 it was 52.5.  Of course I bought one size bigger than 42.5 for the replacement and assumed I had the right thing.  Wrong.
Lesson learned - before you go buying jets, know what you have to start with - READ THE STAMP WITH A BIG MAGNIFYING GLASS.  If you buy a used bike - good luck - your carb may not be a virgin.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:23:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › pilot jet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.