Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Snapped (Read 161 times)
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Cam Chain Snapped
02/21/09 at 16:08:58

Ok here goes... cam chain snapped and shattered the lower cam sprocket as well so how do i get everything aligned properly for cam chain timing as in cam and crankshaft alignment

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Cam Chain Snapped
Reply #1 - 02/21/09 at 16:47:11

Didn't bust up your valves?

lucky sob, invest in the lotto now.

1st, you need a new sproket and chain, of course you know that.  pull the head cover off.  While you're at it, replace the head plug.
2. Put crank and TDC.  Guess what?  w/o a cam attached there's only one.
3. Look at the cam, on the shaft there are 2 marks down the middle.  Those are supposed to be level with the head.  Also, the pin that connects the sprocket to the cam is supposed to be at 1 o'clock.
4. check operation, check tdc, check cam aligned, then repeat.  And repeat again.  You don't want to have to take the head cover off again do you?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/21/09 at 16:54:22

Make sure the crank stays at TDC while you wrangle that chain in.

When the side cover goes back on there is only 1 Bear Trap I know of. The Loop the clutch cable hangs in will swing down & either require popping the cover loose or bending the loop, so, keep it up while installing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #3 - 02/21/09 at 17:43:46

thanks a bunch fellas i knew about the marks on cam but wasn't sure about the crankshaft position verslagen clarified there only one tdc on crankshaft lol also i noticed the cam chain guide bent i assume in order to replace i need to remove the head....which leads to next question can head be removed while motor is in frame?

oh BTW is a 97' sav

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 02/21/09 at 17:52:48

the guide next to the adjuster can be replaced by taking off the head cover only.
The front guide requires the head to be removed.
most of the time the head cover can be removed while in from.
I hear you need to remove the engine when removing the head.
as easy as it is to remove the engine, i'd do it anyway.  there's a couple of bolts that are hard to get to while in frame

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 02/21/09 at 18:00:16

Get a manual !!!!  You will need it for the torque spec but the pictures are a blessing too.  There are several on eBay right now.

Note: one of the nuts Crank or Clutch is left-hand threads.  Means it loosens backwards.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #6 - 02/21/09 at 18:03:06

yeah its the front one thats bent so i guess ill start yanking motor thanks again for the replies

IP Logged
abotech
YaBB Newbies

A.T.G.A.T.T.- All
The Gear All The
Time

Reply #7 - 02/21/09 at 19:38:50

How many miles are on the bike?

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #8 - 02/22/09 at 17:36:54

just over 18k

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:16:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Snapped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.