Send Topic Print
96 Savage Bobber (Read 1646 times)
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
96 Savage Bobber
02/17/09 at 18:05:17

219 Days and it finally let me log in!!
Well this has been a challenge and it was worth it! i have read many posts and got alot of ideas form here but could never post a response...

heres my Savage bobber i created last year and the clutch went out at 10k on the nose....weird. This was my first attempt at customizing a bike and my second year of (licensed) driving. The bike was in poor condition but it ran, for 500.00 bucks i couldn't pass it up. I spent countless hours polishing and covering all the rust pitting and spent a few bucks adding some extras like straight bars, risers and a custom seat (Buzz Walneck). i got a lot of looks and loved every minute of it! well this bike is being parted out so if anyone needs anything ill keep you posted on the left over parts. i just picked up another Savage (99 with 1200 miles) and ill be tearing it down in a few weeks and modding it as well, most of the after market parts will be moved over but the rest of the bike will be available..

(i guess i have to post one normal post before i can post a pic)
to be continued!

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: 96 Savage Bobber
Reply #1 - 02/17/09 at 18:05:34

just for the curious, i never got a ticket for no fenders, loud exhaust or a side mounted plate......at least not yet!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 02/17/09 at 18:11:25

Sweet. Very nice.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/17/09 at 18:14:51

nice bike,.... glad you're finally on, welcome....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #4 - 02/17/09 at 18:20:00

Nice ride! I'd love to pickup a 2nd Savage to turn into a bobber...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #5 - 02/17/09 at 18:35:39

nice....take off the mirrors throw it in the mud and give it some more rust and thats what mine looked like before I tor it apart.... Grin

good job...looks good...just dont hit a bump and slide of the back of the seat Shocked

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #6 - 02/17/09 at 18:41:39

Thanks guys! and the mirrors are going in the mud, i have Maltese cross mirrors on order. the tank will be skull painted this year too. ill post those pics too!
would be nice if there was a kick start option for this motor...lol

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #7 - 02/17/09 at 21:34:11

Looks good man! I need to flatten my seat more to look like yours. Did you paint the fork tubes or is that line-X or some type of coating? Here's mine just for kicks..ours are kinda similar. Oh, I also want to replace that mirror w a maltese....

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #8 - 02/18/09 at 05:22:26

i did paint the front forks, there was too much rust pitting to save. (flat black rattle can) i had hard tail struts but after a few miles with the seat that way my tushy was numb so i put the shocks back on. i like the rear fender on yours. i struggled trying to find a fender that looked good but im still lookin. was that a trailer fender? i heard that was the "hot lash"

your bike is where i wanted mine someday....lookin good mang!!

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #9 - 02/20/09 at 19:52:48

i started my dual air ilter project today, thanks for all the great mod advice. i think the pcv mod is going to work out great! ill post pics soon!

god i love this site!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #10 - 02/20/09 at 22:21:39

Eddie, I browsed this post thinking I read it here about how you did your filter to carb mod but I didn't see it here.  Maybe it was another post.  Anyhow, I thought I read somewhere that you used a hose from an auto store. Is that right?  Was it a radiator hose?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 02/21/09 at 02:35:01

Welcome aboard Eddie ... that is a sweet lookin' Bike ya got there!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #12 - 02/21/09 at 10:57:19

diamond jim wrote on 02/20/09 at 22:21:39:
Eddie, I browsed this post thinking I read it here about how you did your filter to carb mod but I didn't see it here.  Maybe it was another post.  Anyhow, I thought I read somewhere that you used a hose from an auto store. Is that right?  Was it a radiator hose?  

it was Jim, it was a upper molded radiator hose that i cut in half and re-connected to form the duel bend. i couldnt tell you what application it was for, im a auto mechanic and know my local part store managers well. he let me look though all his hoses to find the proper match i was looking for. the filter is a crankcase breather for a small block chevy.  the rubber insert fit inside the radiator hose perfectly. i just drilled 3 small holes though the rubber and screwed them together.
ive always wanted a duel filter and didnt even think about pcv and a "T" style adapter at the end. so a 90 degree bend, "T" pcv adapter and another crankcase filter should do the trick

And thanks PerrydaSavage!! I LOVE IT HERE!!!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 02/21/09 at 17:19:39

Eddie, I first started with the three way T cause I was going to do one S40/Savage pod filter on each side.  But the way I had it set up it looked funny to me cause the pod filter was so small.  So I started looking at doing some other type of double custom air filter mod.  After a good bit of searching I realized that either I was going to have to go with two pod filters or pay big time for 2 filters that would actually look good, meaning size, shape, chrome, etc.  It started looking like I was gonna have to shell out $80+ for two filters that I only somewhat liked. That's why I went with the 4 way cause it was cheap (for me), allowed me to use my existing pod filter and could have fun making up something for the sides.

Speaking of that, I did good today on my trip to Atlanta.  I found some cool future mod stuff.  Eddie, I don't mean to threadjack here but I figure these pics and info below might trigger some other ideas for somebody out there.    

First off I went by a HD dealership in Oxford where I found these on a 50% off clearance table:

They'll work great for the highway pegs project.

Next- BTW, go to one of those large truck stop stores when you get a chance.  You'll find so much stuff you can use for bike mods at a fraction of the cost.  This stuff I got at an awesome truck stop store.  It wasn't one of those fancy ones but the kind I love.  It was one of those almost flea market kind of places where there's literally too much stuff crammed in the store and you can barely move around.  Man, you could buy chromed brackets of just about every design and size under $10 for any bike mod project.  Then you can pick from a dozen designs of chromed bolt head covers to make it look even better.  Tons of LED lights, top quality chromed teardrop headlights... chrome and stainless steel everything.  It was truly a modders dream!

I got the stuff below there.

Covers to likely go on my new air filter covers at $4 each.  They are about 3"-3.5" across.

Stainless steel 7" headlight visor and a SS piece for some yet thought of speedo housing mod.  Both were $4 each.

A chromed piece that looks like it might have the potential, if the bottom is scalloped and some other fine tuning, of becoming some sort or speedo housing as well at $5.

Some chromed brackets with clamp on one end and 90 degree turned bolt slot on the other that I'm sure I'll find some application for them at $6 for a set.

A pair of bright amber chromed half-moon LEDs at $4.50 each.

Lastly, a 2" wide by 24" long stainless steel bar stock in case I need it for something at $8. A bar like that in plain steel at a hardware store would be $10+.  The bar is in my trunk right now.

IP Logged
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Reply #14 - 02/22/09 at 00:02:54

well hell! looks like you hit the jackpot!! that's a lot of cool stuff and i love the skull covers. ive seen those for turn signals. and i like the highway pegs. the headlight is one of my future mods, i want the skull headlight but im not going to pay 500.00 for it, ill make one somehow. im searching for skulls that i can adapt myself in the meantime. ill hit the HD store by my house and see if they have a clearance table. thanks for the air filter mod idea!!

here's the light i want: site - skull headlight link

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 96 Savage Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.