Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine wont start, dont know what else to do (Read 507 times)
Savage Eddie

Custom Bob's ROCK!

40 miles west of Chicago
Re: Engine wont start, dont know what else to do
Reply #15 - 02/17/09 at 20:30:30

funny you mention a plug blaster Max, i still have mine and used it today to get a flooded 2002 VW Passat running. i agree with removing the spark plug and oiling the cylinder. if you cant clean the spark plug then replace it again. I had a bunch of similar problems with mine early last year and removed the carb to clean it. just when you think you did a good job it still doesn't run right. keep in mind the jets have a very small opening and goo up easily as i found out the hard way. good luck!

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #16 - 02/17/09 at 20:51:36

Most dealers stopped using them in the early 70's after the factories bought some engines on warranty. Vehicle would come in with a misfire and oil fouled plug early on. Techs didn't get paid much to R&R a plug and clean under warranty flat rate so often they didn't get the blasting material out from the oil down along the center porcelain. Needless to say, when it fired up the stuff did get blasted out and ended up down on the rings and now they had a real oil user/burner. I was twisting wrenches summers at the time and they starting paying us to R&R the plug with a new one and the old one was kept for field service rep to inspect and destroy in their monthly visit. I have been watching for one at a garage sales and auctions since I moved here to eastern WA and not seen one yet. Maybe someday. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 02/18/09 at 03:17:17

Another trouble shooting hint.  

I find that when trying to figure out a non-starting engine, using a trolling motor battery (from a boat) works great.  It has a ton of reserve to play with.  And, it's designed to be drained, recharged, drained , recharged etc etc.    It also saves the regular battery from being abused.

You just have to find a friend that is willing to lend on eto you......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #18 - 02/18/09 at 09:37:15

I agree that this could be a low battery.  You can fairly easily check battery resting condition AND starting condition with any cheapo voltmeter.  If the lead-acid battery resting condition is 12.05vdc or less then the battery is only 25% alive - or less.   Resting battery at 100% should 12.6vdc.  I assume you have refilled water levels as necessary but 13 months standing time is probably enough to sulfate a old battery to death.

Likewise, while discharging battery can not sag much voltage before the Savage has significant starting and running problems.  There is a good description of lead acid battery voltage curves here http://www.arttec.net/Solar_Mower/4_Electrical/Battery%20Charging.pdf

Also when push starting, sometime 2nd gear works better than first (to spin faster), and start on a hill, or get someone to push.  Veteran dying-battery rider here - the 25%-alive-battery can crank the motor, sounds fine but it WON'T start without help.

Get a good battery...  Post when you fix it.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 02/18/09 at 09:42:03

2nd is easier to start, but engine turns slower than 1st.
My tach says 300 rpm when using the starter, so a slower rpm is ok.
but, I find I sometimes need to roll it a bit in gear to get over any sputtering.  Whereas in 2nd, you might not want to do that because it will lurch.

WWW   IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/19/09 at 15:34:21

Felt vacuum on carb side
Battery =13.2V
put in 1 tsp oil in cylinder, rotated engine
spark plug gap=correct
spark plug little sooty/not wet
air filter is brand new
still wont start
something is happening in the cylinder cause the plug is black but it sounds like there is no fire happening (only air coming out of exhaust)

Im going to borrow a compression guage and check the compression even though i believe its good cause i can feel it when i crank the engine with the plug removed, and probably clean the carb again. I know fuel and air is getting in the carb, just not sure if its getting further even though it did run once.  Thats what i dont get, it ran, and then i didnt touch it, and it wont run again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 02/19/09 at 15:48:18

I'd pull the tube between carb & air filter & shoot some WD 40 in, with the fuel shut off. The propane will fire it & prove that the spark is working or not.Ive gotten cars started that way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #22 - 02/20/09 at 06:40:44

Carbon fouled plug will not fire well enough to start the bike.   And ,  too many chemicals used to clean can actually burn and leave a film on the sparkplug causing weak spark too.  

My suggestion....  spend the 2-3 bucks and yet anohter new plug.  If it gets wet or carbon fouls then you know it is too much fuel getting in .  

Also, on the new plug, use a propane torch to dry any wet gas off.  A cigarette lighter may leave carbon.  If the plug gets wet,  crank the motor over without the plug in to dry out the cyclinder.   Do not use steel wool on the plug to clean carbon because the ceramic  will get coated with steel and give poor spark too.

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 02/20/09 at 20:28:30

i can crank the starter consistently for 15+ min before

Youll shoot yer eye out kid
AND burn up your starter motor

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/21/09 at 11:26:03

tried wd40..no change
put in brand new spark plug...still wont start
guess ill clean the carb again

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #25 - 02/21/09 at 12:27:16

Get yourself an .009" or .011"  guitar string, and run it back and forth through all the carb passages and jets.... sometimes that old gas hardens up to much for a liquid cleaner to dissolve...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #26 - 02/21/09 at 15:00:35

flyingace419 wrote on 02/21/09 at 11:26:03:
tried wd40..no change
put in brand new spark plug...still wont start
guess ill clean the carb again

Is plug wet???

---
  IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 02/21/09 at 15:37:08

old plug was always dry
when i tried the wd40 the oldplug was wet
after i put in the new plug and did several start attempts
the new plug is.. still brand new and dry
does that mean no fuel is getting from the carb into the cylinder?

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #28 - 02/21/09 at 18:24:36

Serowbot wrote on 02/21/09 at 12:27:16:
Get yourself an .009" or .011"  guitar string, and run it back and forth through all the carb passages and jets.... sometimes that old gas hardens up to much for a liquid cleaner to dissolve...

I like the guitar string idea, but only for cleaning small carb passages.  As for as the jets, I'd be nervous about cleaning them with as steel wire.  A brass wire or a copper one would be better for that, I think.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #29 - 02/21/09 at 18:29:49

Ace,

Does anyone uses starting fluid anymore?  If the engine would not start with starting fluid, I would begin to suspect a few things:

1.  Ignition system:  Is the spark strong enough in a pressurized combustion chamber to ignite combustion?

2.  Ignition timing:  Could the ignition timing be off?  I really don't know how this could happen, nor do I know how to test it on a non-running engine.

3.  Valve timing:  When you had the engine running for a short while, perhaps one of the backfires caused the cam chain to jump a tooth.  It might be worth a look.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:26:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine wont start, dont know what else to do

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.