Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Engine wont start, dont know what else to do (Read 507 times)
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine wont start, dont know what else to do
02/17/09 at 13:35:09

I have a 97 savage with about 9500 miles.  I recently returned from afghanistan and wanted to get it running again.  It sat in my garage on a stand for about 13 months.  I charged the battery, drained the fuel (it had stablizer), filled with fresh fuel and drained again, changed spark plug, changed oil and oil filter, and filled with fresh fuel.  It started rough, ran awhile, backfired several times with increased throttle, and overflowed fuel into the airbox.  I let it run about 15 mins and then turned it off.  About a week later i tried to start it up again, but it wouldnt start, it just cranked.  Over the next week i tried starting it multiple times, but it never would start, just crank.  I checked that the sparkplug was sending a spark, which it was.  I then checked the carb to make sure fuel was getting through, drained, put on prime, ran fuel through, etc. It appeard to be working just fine.  I took off the carb, took it to a buddies house and took it apart and cleaned it with B12, it was very dirty hence the overflow of fuel when it ran.  Checked the vacuum hose for leaks. Tried to start, wouldnt, just cranked, could hear the air being sucked in.  found the link for the clymer manual, downloaded, checked the automatic decompresion cable. Tried to start, didnt.  I dont know what else to try.  Does anyone have any ideas of what else i can do to try to get it running again?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine wont start, dont know what else to do
Reply #1 - 02/17/09 at 14:18:17

1st where you at?
change plug
put in prime to make sure gas in carb to start
charge battery, sounds like you know low voltage won't spark so won't go in to it.
push start, push starting sometime will get sometime to start when other methods fail.

WWW   IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/17/09 at 14:28:47

Im at Oak Grove Ky, i changed the plug when i first got it started, when i checked the plug to make sure i was getting spark, it had a thin black carbon layer on it, im guessing from the multiple attempts at starting. It was getting a blue spark when i cranked it.  Are you saying to change the plug again?  Its a new plug i just got.  Everytime i check something i usually have to tank off the tank which means draining fuel, so when i try to start it again, i do put it on prime for about 3-5 seconds.  And i charge the battery between every start attempt with a charger, that way i have a fully charged battery when i attempt to start.  Usually i get mad at it and try to start it so much i kill the battery anyway.  I also try all the choke posittions when i try to start.  Ive been trying for a little over a month now.  I havent tried to push start, never done it so im not real familiar with how. How? Thank for reply.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/17/09 at 14:38:48

Check your vac line from the carb up to the petcock,(chrome spring covered, right-side of carb)...there should be no gas in it,..zero, nada....
Any gas there and your petcock is bad...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/17/09 at 14:50:47

Checked it, no gas in it.  I even blew air in it with a bicycle pump while covering the other end to check for air leaks, no leaks.  I actually thought this was the problem because after i put the new plug in when i first was changing things, i forgot to put the vacuum hose back on, and of course it wouldnt start.  so i put it on and it started, that was the only time it started over a month ago.  after it wouldnt start again i checked the vacuum hose because its doing the same thing it did when i forgot to put it on. but it checked out ok. thanks for the reply

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/17/09 at 14:55:35

Mione wont start if I twist the throttle.
I am wondering if your slide is stuck from the description of the first run.
13 months, Huhh? You sure nothing crawled up your tail pipe & built a nest?

Glad you made it home.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/17/09 at 14:59:00

when i try to start it i will try with no throttle, and a little throttle, and usually go back and forth.  what slide are you talking about?  and i had my tail pipe covered and i checked it before i started it, nothing.
thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/17/09 at 15:21:40

A slide travels vertically inside the carb to open & close the airway. Its not hooed directly to the throttle cable. Vacuum pulls it up & a spring pushes it down.

A bike cover is a good start, but things can get inside. It would be easy to check, just run something up in there, shine a light, check the exhaust air pulse. You heard it trying to run, think about how it sounded.If it would only sit & chug & struggle to run, you may have a dirt dobber up in there, I doubt it, but the time to check is minimal/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/17/09 at 15:34:00

to push start ( the lame gimpy fat b@$tard way)
caution-these instructions are for stock bikes with all the safety's in place.
1.prep it to key start like normal
2.put in 1st, kickstand up
3.run like hell (for me that 5 to 10mph)
4.jump on (pant, pant, pant)
5.push the starter button
6.let it rev a couple of times then let out the clutch
7.it will chug, sputter, etc untill the voltage recovers and lites up the ign full charge.
8.give it some throttle and let it roll in gear until it evens out.
9.smile you've just push started the bike w/o leaving 6' of rubber on the ground.

this works cause the starter gets the motor turning, and letting out the clutch automatically disengages the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 02/17/09 at 16:13:46

You did say it didnt run well when you had it started, right?
If thats tru, then I wouldnt spend my energy trying to run with it. Get a stout battery & let that starter do the work while you figure it out.
If it wont start with a good battery on it, its not gonna start by pushing it. If I was simply desperate & thought that maybe it would run if turned over enough times, Id pull it behind a car. Make sure you have enough room behind it so you dont hit it & can pull & release the rope without losing control.
Pushing(IMO) is for one that is known to be running, just out of battery OOMpH.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 02/17/09 at 16:30:19

is the battery 1997 ?
btw:
your service is our freedom THANK YOU!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
flyingace419
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/17/09 at 16:33:36

I had the exhaust covered with a plastic bag since it was garaged.  I checked it again and there was nothing visible in it.  I cranked it and it puffed, so air is coming out of the exhaust.  The one time it did run, i think the problem was it was running too rich and/or the slide was stuck open, thats what led to the carb cleaning. Because it ran, but backfired and had lots of fuel spillout(overflow). Im guessing the slide is that long round thing in the middle with the big spring, well, if thats it we cleaned it (and the spring and diaphram) with the b12 when we took apart the carb, and it went up and down without getting stuck.  As far as the battery, when the battery is fully charged i can crank the starter consistently for 15+ min before the power gets drained (headlight starts to dim also).  Ill just recharge it and try again, so i believe the battery is actually good, i dont get a red light withthe charger.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 02/17/09 at 16:37:27

Try this,...crank the engine, and feel for vacuum on the carb side of that vac line....
Sometimes when an engine has been sitting, or has been having problems starting...too much unspent gas flows down the cylinder and creates a "gas wash".... This removes the fine coating of oil on the cylinder walls that creates compression...
Squirting about a teaspoon of oil down the sparkplug hole will allow the walls to be recoated and compression will return...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 02/17/09 at 16:42:07

battery chargers wont tell you if there is a bad cell..but if you can crank for 15 mins dont think its the batt.
is the gap on the plug correct?
right plug ?
hows the outer covering of the plug wire?
when you pull the plug is just a little sooty/wet ?
hows the air cleaner?
any gas in the air box??
basics on
any gas engine:
compression
fuel
spark
such a low mileage enginge got to be sumthin simple..
keep us posted
good luck!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #14 - 02/17/09 at 20:05:19

A carbon fouled plug that gets fuel on it will not jump the gap in the cylinder under pressure, rather the coil voltage goes back down the wet carbon path to ground. Pretty hard to clean the plug these days as I haven't seen a plug blaster for years. I use a oxy/acet jewelers rig my dad had with the smallest tip and an oxidizing flame, it eats up the carbon as extra fuel, but just a little to much heat or not moving fast enough and the porcelain cracks and it is trash. New ones are your best bet, don't have to be fancy until you get it all worked out. You might want to do the head cover door mod or leave it off until you solve all the problems. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:24:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine wont start, dont know what else to do

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.