Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb mods + less restrictive exhaust questions (Read 71 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Carb mods + less restrictive exhaust questions
02/16/09 at 10:27:58

A few questions about the white spacer mod.

I see that most on here went with a thinner spacer as opposed to removing the spacer completely.  Logic tells me that when the white spacer is thinned or removed the result is the needle sits lower into the main jet, therefore adding more restriction to gas flow through the main jet.  Doesn't this result in leaning it out in out at the top end? Is the mod done to offset the increased fuel being delivered via the larger pilot jet, main jet and mixture screw mod (when all are done)?

Here's why I ask- I've been riding with no spacer since shortly after buying the bike.  I've got the 152.5 main and 55 pilot with the mixture screw about 1.5 turns out.  I've since added the new exhaust which has a baffle that serves mainly to effect sound and not really add much backpressure.

With this setup, I'm wondering if I should add a single #4 washer or if I should just leave it alone.  It's been a while since I checked my plug but it was fine when I did.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Carb mods + less restrictive exhaust questions
Reply #1 - 02/16/09 at 10:47:34

Remember this carb is made by people on the other side of the world and our logic doesn't work.  The spacer holds the needle down, thining it raises it.

If you've read all there is to read about carb tuning, you'd know there are 3 circuits for 3 ranges of throttle settings.  The pilot jet and mixture screw for idle, the main jet for top end and the white spacer for mid range.  

At 1.5 turns for your idle mixture looks good, leave it.

Check you top end by finding a long grade that you can go WOT and won't continue to accel up it.  Doesn't matter what gear, just needs to max out rpm's and be stable.  Now back off from WOT by an 1/8 to 1/4 turn.  Does it sound like it picks up?  If it does, go up one jet size.  Repeat.

Do the white spacer last.  This is to tune where the needle opens up.  This one is trial and error, so start at stock and skinny down.  You're just looking for smooth transition from idle to WOT.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Carb mods + less restrictive exhaust questions
Reply #2 - 02/16/09 at 10:57:47

I forgot that part about the spacer.  I was sitting here thinking the needle just runs through the spacer but actually the needle has a little shoulder or something below where the spacer goes and the spacer rests on that.  The spacer therefore pushes it down further.  

Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 13:26:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb mods + less restrictive exhaust questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.