Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage (Read 376 times)
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage
02/16/09 at 08:41:05

I went a little nuts this winter and bought some performance upgrades including this Nology plug wire. Suppose to give 300% increase in spark and also faster duration. Haven't put it on yet. I'm wondering If anyone has had any experience with this product? Is it worth it?
Has a lifetime guarantee and dyno tests that show increase in horsepower and fuel economy. If you believe them.
 What says the collective wisdom of this forum?
Seviersavage

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage
Reply #1 - 02/16/09 at 09:39:46

once your sparkplug has enough spark to ignite the gas in the cylinder,... that's all you get...
more spark means nothing....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #2 - 02/16/09 at 09:55:37

Just in general the wire itself wont produce more horsepower and torque. Now compared to a stock wornout wire it would "produce" or "free" up some....I guess is the way to say it. Sure a hotter bigger spark is "better" but really teh biggest thing you may notice is some throttle responce but then again depends on how everything else is running.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/16/09 at 10:07:03

Certainly a weak spark will affect performance.
If this this is quicker to spark, it will advance timing, something all the hot rodders do is advance the timing quite a bit.

You're the 1st on this, lead on.  we need a performance eval, hop to it, I want to see a sluggo type burn out video by the end of the day   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/16/09 at 13:31:30

just a note,  the sprak plug wire and HV coil are one piece.   The cap comes off but the wire is molded on.  

If you pull the wire out,  then you need to find the inner wirre, and do some creative drilling to get some kind of pin in there to make contact.  

I think you would loose any advantage the wire gives.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 02/16/09 at 15:27:44

these wires have a capacitor built in that gives a(claimed)5% h.p. increase, $36 plus shipping( say $5 ),thats $26 per h.p. gained,assuming your bike is 30 h.p.
doesnt seem cost effective for 1.5 h.p.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/16/09 at 16:21:40

Thumperclone,
Yeah it does seem expensive for the gain but also you get a little better MPG, plus I'm closer to 36, 37 horse power so my gain is a little more. Hey I already said I went a little nuts. Roll Eyes

T Mack 1,
It is spliced to the coil with a supplied piece, I called Nology and they said no decrease in perfromance gain if you use the splice.

Verslagen 1
BigSingle
Serowbot
Here's my seat of the pants evaluation after my first test run.
She seemed to start and idle normally, hey that was comforting after cutting off my plug wire.
First thing I noticed was my exhaust seemed an octave deeper?
Also my bike takes about 3 or 4 miles to really warm up in the cold weather were having, tonight that distance was cut in half roughly.
She had better manners during warm up too.
But the biggest difference I can put on record was roll on response from mid range was very much stronger. Heck the whole throttle range felt crisper. My impression was like my first white spacer mod on my old carburator, a noticable difference.
My feeling is I gained a measurable increase in response and a little horsepower. Or maybe I'm fully using previously untapped power due to a more violent faster burn of the fuel mixture. At any rate my experience has been the hotwire really did make a difference.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/16/09 at 17:00:21

Still want to see a burn out video, might have to turn to sluggo tv.   Sad

So give us the low down, what did you order, how much, from whom and install instructions and pict's.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #8 - 02/16/09 at 17:13:33

Well thats cool...glad you did notice something besides a lighter wallet  Grin  Im sure at some point I will change something over like this. Thanks for the info....GIVE MORE lol  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/16/09 at 17:17:22

ok, found this rather dire warning.

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

After reading it, it made sense.  All capacitors have finite life.  10 to 20 years for those electrolic ones in most electronic crap.  The insulators just don't last.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/16/09 at 18:14:51

I did read that site, It's the only bad report I came across.
Anyone can have a bad experience with a product, one bad report does not a bad product make. Also the plug wire is guaranteed for as long as I own the bike.
I am willing to take a chance and see how we fare for the long haul.
As for now I'm completely impressed with the mod.
I got the Hotwire from Thunder products, Lonn recommended it. Took me all of 10 minutes to install. I think It was about 30 something dollars. Plug wire seems to be the finishing touch to my performance mods. Only time will tell If It will last.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #11 - 02/16/09 at 18:38:31

have up "upgraded" the plug? I would go with a NGK IRD...but thats just me...Im sure everyone has their prefrence....

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/16/09 at 18:52:18

I have the NGK plug, Nology says it has to be a non resister type- which all ngk's are.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
SV og LS

Kawasaki ZZR 1200

Reply #13 - 02/16/09 at 19:47:37

seviersavage wrote on 02/16/09 at 18:52:18:
I have the NGK plug, Nology says it has to be a non resister type- which all ngk's are.
Seviersavage

Every R series NGK plug has 5kOhm resistor including DPR8EA-9 fitted to a lot of Savages.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 02/17/09 at 06:29:26

You can believe whatever you like, but unless I see before and after testing, dyno or dragstrip or top end, I won't believe it makes a difference. Their description matches what I think I know about electronics. The capacitor built into the wire will indeed store charge until the voltage builds up enough to fire the plug - which means the spark will be delayed by probably a few microseconds. When the spark does fire the current will likely be slightly higher, making a slightly hotter spark. But, if the spark was already hot enough to fire the charge, hotter won't make a difference. As a crude example, you can light a candle with a match, or an acetylene torch, but the candle is lit just the same and burns at the same rate once lit.

This same sort of claim has been around for decades - probably a century. Different metals for spark plug electrodes, different electrode configurations, different spark plug wires, different spark generators from magnetos through capacitive-discharge systems and even piezoelectric generators. It is usually safe to say that if you noticed a real (not imaginary) difference, your ignition system needed repair in the first place and the "upgraded" parts actually made the repair.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:25:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.