Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage (Read 376 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage
Reply #15 - 02/17/09 at 08:01:09

siever, couple action items for you.
one, you need the correct plug, non - R
two, top end test.  I have a test hill, the one for checking the main jet.  WOT what's the steady state speed?  If you got a hill that you've already have a known steady state speed on, run up it again and report.

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #16 - 02/17/09 at 15:01:37

I did today find a non resist plug. I will continue to evaluate but all I have is the seat of the pants comparisons. I understand the conventional wisdom is such that most don't believe it makes a difference. My experience has been otherwise. But I still believe most on this site are smarter than I and I'll admitt I'm a newby on bikes.
But I've always wrenched on my trucks, even having the engines in pieces in my basement and back together again. ( no leftover bolts either) Smiley
I would welcome a hard facts kind of comparison, just don't know how to do it.
verslagen1,
 I'll get back to you about the WOT test

Charon,
I believe after reading all I could about the wires that their premise is sound, that the improvement in spark intensity and duration makes a difference. Thats why I risked 40 dollars. For my bike It was noticeable. I don't think my old plug or wire was bad. But you know what, truth is I can't prove it. All I have is my judgement after getting to know the bike and my recognizing the improvement. Makes for interesting debate though huh?
Seviersavage

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 02/17/09 at 15:20:23

If you need to run a comparison test, I'll send you a coil off a '88

WWW   IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #18 - 02/17/09 at 15:28:09

verslagen1,
I would actually do that ,
Seviersavage

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #19 - 02/17/09 at 16:35:48

from many google searchs there is NO h.p. gain from plug wires..
you replaced a marginal wire with a new one...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #20 - 10/25/13 at 17:21:55

In guess all these aftermarket manufacturers of high performance ignition systems are all wrong.  Over 40 years of positive dyno results can't be wrong. More spark energy means more power. I attest to this with firsthand experience in building automobile and motorcycle engines for over 40 years myself. Back in the 60's where I got my start building engines a stock ignition coil put out maybe 20,000 volts. The engines however had compression ratios in some cases over 11.5 to 1. the ignition used to break down once RPM exceeded 5500 to 6000 RPM. Higher voltage coils solved this problem. The Even the automobile manufacturers are now using coil on plug High output ignition systems.  High compression engines are most responsive to a strong ignition spark...low compression engines not so much. Look at the newest crop of high compression engines coming from Detroit lately...in some cases compression ratios of 11 to 1 with direct fuel injection are becoming common as are ultra high performance ignitions with spark energy approaching 100,000 volts. Higher compression ratios need a stronger spark. Stronger spark means more power and better fuel economy.  

Wether the low compression(8.5 to 1) mildly tuned stock Suzuki Savage engine will see positive results from a better ignition is debatable.

But my Savage is anything but stock.....97mm 10.5 to 1 comp.  Big Bore Kit, stage I cam, ported cylinder head performance exhaust and more.

I think my high comp engine will like a hotter spark just like all the high compression engines in the past have.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Rix

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/25/13 at 18:47:12

Magnecor addresses nology hotwires  and other capacitive wires right on their website.
And Magnecor does a very good job of explaining the what and how.

2013 BOULEVARD S40/LS650 ALL STOCK
1982 HONDA MB5 WITH MODS
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/26/13 at 03:37:47

verslagen1 wrote on 02/16/09 at 17:17:22:
ok, found this rather dire warning.

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

After reading it, it made sense.  All capacitors have finite life.  10 to 20 years for those electrolic ones in most electronic crap.  The insulators just don't last.

Hmmm,, yea,, thats something to consider,, but on a bike, its vented, so, the temps should be substantially lower, hopefully leading to longer life,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 10/26/13 at 05:25:21

Super Thumper wrote on 10/25/13 at 17:21:55:
In guess all these aftermarket manufacturers of high performance ignition systems are all wrong.  Over 40 years of positive dyno results can't be wrong. More spark energy means more power. I attest to this with firsthand experience in building automobile and motorcycle engines for over 40 years myself. Back in the 60's where I got my start building engines a stock ignition coil put out maybe 20,000 volts. The engines however had compression ratios in some cases over 11.5 to 1. the ignition used to break down once RPM exceeded 5500 to 6000 RPM. Higher voltage coils solved this problem. The Even the automobile manufacturers are now using coil on plug High output ignition systems.  High compression engines are most responsive to a strong ignition spark...low compression engines not so much. Look at the newest crop of high compression engines coming from Detroit lately...in some cases compression ratios of 11 to 1 with direct fuel injection are becoming common as are ultra high performance ignitions with spark energy approaching 100,000 volts. Higher compression ratios need a stronger spark. Stronger spark means more power and better fuel economy.  

Wether the low compression(8.5 to 1) mildly tuned stock Suzuki Savage engine will see positive results from a better ignition is debatable.

But my Savage is anything but stock.....97mm 10.5 to 1 comp.  Big Bore Kit, stage I cam, ported cylinder head performance exhaust and more.

I think my high comp engine will like a hotter spark just like all the high compression engines in the past have.

Serowbot is correct.  Once a spark is delivered at the correct time, nothing else matters.
-- Stock ignition systems, especially if getting old, leaky, inconsistent, etc., can be deficient in delivering a strong spark at the correct time.  Replacing those marginal components with new stock components will put things back to normal, and on a stock motor, that is as good as it will get.  No woven-by-virgins wires, superdupercharger coils, nine-electrode plugs, or organic gluten-free gaskets will make any difference.  
-- The point is that the stock system can be improved upon only when it has deteriorated to the point it is not delivering that spark as Serowbot suggests.  The Savage ignition system in good shape on a stock motor will not be helped any by additional gadgetry.  In fact, the componentry in the stock system is what we used to call a high-performance high-cost system four decades ago.  Those were the times when points and coils with no electronics were the norm and the system we have on the Savage would have seemed like pretty exotic stuff.

"More spark energy means more power."  This is only true if the existing spark energy is insufficient.  On a stock motor with a stock ignition system functioning normally, there is way more than sufficient spark energy.  On a hopped up motor like yours, maybe not.  Only testing would show any deficiencies or advantages.

"In [sic] guess all these aftermarket manufacturers of high performance ignition systems are all wrong."  Not all of them.  Some will tell you the truth, i.e., most stock ignition systems these days are quite sufficient for stock motors.

"Wether [sic] the low compression(8.5 to 1) mildly tuned stock Suzuki Savage engine will see positive results from a better ignition is debatable. "  Exactly correct,... or,.. well,.. I would suggest not very debatable in that a stock motor with an ignition system in good shape will not see any improvement with aftermarket gadgetry.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:27:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › opinions? Nology Hotwire for a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.