Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear Turn Signal Conversion (Read 239 times)
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Rear Turn Signal Conversion
02/15/09 at 16:41:33

So, I just took the bike out of winter storage last weekend as the temps were in the 60s.  Had a couple great rides, but I realized my rear turn lamps were out.  The bike had been laid down twice- both low speed- once by me and once by the PO.  So both lamp housings were cracked, but last Fall they still worked.  Guess some moisture got into them over the winter and killed 'em off for good.  Went to the stealership and they wanted $60+ for each.  I wasn't too keen on the OEM ones anyway and had been looking for something smaller.  Grabbed some little cat-eyes off the shelf for $15.  They weren't an exact fit for the holes in the fender and the wires were only about 18" long.  But a few crimps and splicers, some electrical tape, some washers and nuts did the job.  

The toughest part was getting my ratchet wrench between the tire and under the fender to take off the rails to re-run the wires.  These little guys are twice as bright as the OEM, and should I (god forbid) break these guys, they're dirt cheap to replace.  Overall, I'm pretty happy.  Now I need to swap the front lights to something similar and change the tail light to a tombstone or cat-eye.  

(On a side note, I had ordered whitewall tires but they just called to say they no longer make them.   Angry Any opinions on Dunlops?)

Incidentally, that's the license plate bracket/light assembly I bought from Yonuh Adisi.  The frame and skulls are my additions, of course Cool

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Re: Rear Turn Signal Conversion
Reply #1 - 02/15/09 at 18:58:45

All I can say is SEMPER FI!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 02/15/09 at 19:25:00

I think those are the same ones that I've got except with clear lenses.  You're right- they are low price, nicely made and bright.  

I haven't tried them in the rear fender supports.  Did the mount in good with the little retaining screw?  It seems like the stockers have a little bit larger diameter metal stem thingy where the retiaining screw locks it in.

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #3 - 02/16/09 at 15:24:54

Oohrah, Chopped!

Diamond Jim-
I actually didn't even mount them all the way through the fender.  The post fit through the rail, but not through the fender. IIRC, it wasn't even long enough to reach through.  So they're just mounted to the rails and the rails are held tight by the other 4 bolts.    I used the nut they came with and added a larger washer just to keep it tight.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/16/09 at 20:49:02

DJ-   Your under-the-fender taillight conversion looks very cool! Here's a picture of mine:

Turn signals were six bucks each from the local truck stop.

IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/16/09 at 20:52:09

Here's how I did the front...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 02/17/09 at 04:50:16

Don, I love the clean look of your front and rear turn signals.  I remember seeing the front ones on an earlier post and I seriously considered doing the same setup.  I'm think I'll look for some like those for my custom bar end turns/mirrors. Do you have a link for those?

For mine, the tail light is simply a tail light.  The brake light is the LED strip wrapped around the tail light.  I wanted a brighter light when I braked than what the cat eye tail light provided.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 02/17/09 at 08:50:12

Great lookin' mods folks! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
AzDon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/17/09 at 11:24:41

Sorry, no link.... I found these lights in the lighting section at Love's truck stop in Indio, Ca. (and I've seen them in other truck stops, as well)
They ARE bright enough to be seen in the daylight, but are "less than blatant" if having your turn signals noticed is important to you.
I personally have no use for turn signals because I feel like they are no excuse to put yourself in a situation that gives somebody an opportunity to run over you. Long before MC turn signals were legally required, proper space management tactics and riding in an obvious manner made signals pretty much unnecessary

IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/18/09 at 17:51:39

I just converted to the same ones (the cats eye) about a month ago.  Good, generic turn signals.  A lot smaller and a little brighter. and yes, nice and cheap!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:27:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Turn Signal Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.