fouled spark plug (Read 92 times)
newviennajj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new vienna ohio
fouled spark plug
02/12/09 at 13:10:18

hello everyone new here.i got this 97 savage about 3 weeks ago and have rode it 3 times.it fouls a plug everytime.anyone know what causes this?dosent look blackened or oiled up or to dry either.did i just get a bad plug?could the coil be burning them out...is this a common prob on the savage since its soooo easy to get to the plug!!! any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: fouled spark plug
Reply #1 - 02/12/09 at 14:01:53

Hey JJ, welcome to the club.

Tell us a little more.

why do think it's fouled out if it's not black, wet, or a moulten pool sitting on top of the piston?

If you've only tried to ride it 3 times in 3 weeks, perhaps the battery is discharged.  try push starting it.

WWW   IP Logged
newviennajj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new vienna ohio
Reply #2 - 02/12/09 at 15:06:25

man i tried push starting it the other day and it was a lil wet out from the melting snow and all i got was wheel skid.ive got the plug out and grounded to the head and turning over the motor heres what it does.at first i could see a faint spark but not a steady spark like it should be.my battery did run dead but its on charge right now.got this charger that had pos and neg leads that mount to posts and you never have to take battery out to charge just plug up.im wandering since the spark is irratic could it be the coil or would that go all at once completely?and is the coil on the starter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/12/09 at 16:08:26

Yeah, common problem with push starting.

The ig system is voltage sensitive, if you have a bad cell or it's discharged, there's not enough juice to turn it over and spark.  You noticed that the spark was weak.

To me, my push start is simple, can be done at any speed.

The problem is the piston usually stops on the compression stroke.  To get around this, they put in a decompression release.  This is automatically done when you push the start button.

Not to be done if you don't have all of the stock safeties in place.

Pushing from 0mph.  put in 1st, all the other normal things you do to start with the starter.  push it up to speed, hop on, push the starter button, after a turn or 2, let out the clutch.

So we are using the starter to decompress the engine get it rotating, then let out the clutch to keep spinning the engine.  This takes the load off of the battery, giving the ig system enough juice to spark.

WWW   IP Logged
newviennajj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new vienna ohio
Reply #4 - 02/12/09 at 16:21:05

i had no clue about that method of decompresion,it makes good sense.got dark on me here so ill give it a shot after work tomorow.i was thinkin it could be the battery too.ill write back after tomorrows attempt to start.missed out on a nice day here in southwest ohio 50's today downhill for the nextweek or so i guess ill break out the r/c truck to play with til it gets warmer.

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #5 - 02/12/09 at 17:34:43

When ever you check a coil turn the key on first for at least 30 seconds to warm up the coil. A cold coil will give a false reading. With the coil warmed up and the battery fully charged you should get a bright blue snappy spark when you ground the plug. If the spark dosen't snap and is orange colourd the coil is weak.

Ride Safe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:49:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fouled spark plug

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.