Send Topic Print
Tkat F/B (Read 490 times)
Tkat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Tkat F/B
02/11/09 at 10:40:24

Just got thru perus'n the F/B posts - B4 go'n back out in that cold shop.  A cpl of things jump out.
1.  Finish:  These are "tumble finished".  They're all ready for polish.  All it takes is a buffer wheel, rouge, or a lotta elbow grease.  They can also be anodized or chromed as you please.  Keep it light on the clamp ID.  They're sized for 0.010" squeeze.

2.  Installation: I noted 1 picture where it was apparently mounted "Upside Down"?.  The small ID contour goes on top and seats down on the top of the slider.    Assemble the clamps snugly but not tite on the sliders - they are match marked in pairs - and tap them down.  Square them up w/ a straight edge across the front.  Tighten them down as you would a clutch cover.  Mount the X-bar, the skeletizing goes down.  Recheck all tightness'.

3. The fork bug shields won't work.  Tap them up w/ a piece of wood & a hammer & cut 'em off.  I've looked and see no way to save them.  Any ridge above the seal for them to clamp to would form a pocket for dirt, water, & other crap to accumulate in around the top of the seal, causing worse pblms.  A POSSIBLE solution is to find boots such as on early CB 750, XS Yamis, &c. & then making clamps to suit them.

Another trick we usta use from our ol' Pro-Rally days was to spray everything w/ Pam.  That might work.  Mud, junk, & bugs just slid right off.  Try spray'n the male tubes w/ it.  (It also keeps adobe mud from building up under fenders.) A final solution would be an extended top lip and full gators.  But again, watch 'em!  a leak or hole would fill up the area around the male member full of crap.

OK, back out to the machine.  I've installed a couple of new dual mill vices and now hafta rewrite all the pgms to account for new delta part locations      (grmblegrmble)

Tkat
    "The older I get, the faster I was."

Ciao,
Tkat
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Tkat F/B
Reply #1 - 02/11/09 at 17:34:11

Glad to see you on the board Tkat. Smiley Can't wait to hear when the next batch is ready!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 02/11/09 at 18:38:10

Just got confirmation my fork brace shipped monday.
Yippee!!!
Good to see some install tips. I'm looking fed to install it.  Cheesy
Grin

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 02/13/09 at 15:05:42

Be sure to post a how to with lots of pics.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/14/09 at 13:48:47

CLICK the picture for bigger image

As received (can added for size reference):

Polished:

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #5 - 02/15/09 at 08:21:11

Purty! Cool That's definitely on my list of "cool things for my bike", once the paycheck fairy starts being more generous. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 02/19/09 at 12:50:49

My Tkat Fork Brace just arrived in the mail. I'm impressed with the finish quality of the machining. Mr. Tkat does quality work!!!!

Hopefully I can install it this weekend but there is no rush as there's still lots of ice & snow around up here.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 02/19/09 at 13:38:27

T Mack - did you shine it up like that with just the polish, a cloth, and a good elbow or did you use a buffer?

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #8 - 02/19/09 at 14:56:59

I got mine to shine like that with almost no elbow grease. Polished up so quickly that I was too impatient to take before and after pix haha. I used mothers billet polish. Not the mothers mag polish...the billet polish thats comes in a container half the size for more money but hasn't let me down once yet with an easy polish job.

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 02/19/09 at 19:15:02

My check mailed yesterday! Can't wait to get the brace in.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Puddle Pirate
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY
Reply #10 - 02/19/09 at 21:02:08

Sent my check yesterday also. Looks like a quality product.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 02/20/09 at 03:19:01

Mr. Hyde wrote on 02/19/09 at 13:38:27:
T Mack - did you shine it up like that with just the polish, a cloth, and a good elbow or did you use a buffer?

Mr. Hyde,
  Started with a cloth using the Weiman  polish.  Then impatience set in and switched to a cloth wheel on my grinder and used  the Turtle Wax polishing compound  (that white tub hidden in the one picture) and then back to the Weiman.   Finally wiped down with a clean cloth.

All told,  about 20 minutes including the walking from garage to the basement workshop.

I bought the metal polish & compound at Auto-Zone.  Bought them a while back for other projects .

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #12 - 02/20/09 at 18:27:15

Mailed my check Tuesday. Now is the hard part waiting.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 02/20/09 at 19:01:29

60 series aluminum polishes up well. Almost too easy you think wht are people complaining about polishing. Problem is, 20 series and 60 series polish up well, yea and 70 series too. But the cast crap, the stuff wheels are made or and the pot metal sheiete is so hard, and it gets crappy looking if you even say the word water near it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #14 - 02/22/09 at 17:51:22

My fork brace came sometime last week, I was out of town until last night.  I got a chance to put it on today, it was so easy a cave man could do it.  

I rode a few miles this afternoon in a strong wind.  I believe I could tell a difference, I know there was a discussion somewhere about whether they made a difference or not.  The road I live on has tar sprayed and rocks dumped a couple of years ago, it is rough as a cob, with the grooves running parallel to the road.  It is not the best ride, kind of makes a wiggly feeling.  (That is a technical term!)  The ride was better, alot more stable feeling, the curves felt better as well.  I will admit this might be just because I was expecting it, but regardless, I like myTkat.

Somewhere the question was asked if a fork brace was really necesary.  I would have to say no, it is not necessary.  But getting the bike was not necessary, all the mods are not necessary and so forth.  Honestly, we probably could all do with out the brace and even the bike, but we sure do enjoy them, don't we?

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:30:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tkat F/B

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.