Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom combo bar end mirrors/bar end turn signals (Read 213 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Custom combo bar end mirrors/bar end turn signals
02/11/09 at 05:13:55

I'm starting a new project of combining some custom low profile amber LED pods to the bar end mirrors with internal wiring through the mirror and bar.  I might make these from scratch. I ordered some stuff from ebay last night to get started.  I'll post as I develop these.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Custom combo bar end mirrors/bar end turn sign
Reply #1 - 02/11/09 at 05:30:57

Would this do away with the front turn signals then? I'm interested in hearing more.

I saw that Savage_Greg has a picture of one of his bikes that have a turn signal in the mirror. It would clean up the front end doing away with the stock signals, as long as the new ones could be seen just as easily.

Good luck!

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 02/11/09 at 08:39:31

I took the mirrors out to put some locktite on the screw thread just in case and noticed the recessed areas that I can use to run some wiring.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 02/11/09 at 09:13:27

Is this the pocket for the mirror?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/11/09 at 09:48:37

Looks like micro-surgery... I'm all thumbs with a soldering gun. Huh
Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Just ordered my bar-end mirrors... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #5 - 02/11/09 at 13:37:23

verslagen1 wrote on 02/11/09 at 09:13:27:
Is this the pocket for the mirror?

Yep.  There's about a 3/16" clearance between the flat parts of the inside of the shell and the back of the mirror.  Enough to play around with.  

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 02/13/09 at 05:33:04

So here's what I got done last night.  I removed the steel bar end weights that were in the stock drag bar.  I made a channel along each one for the wire to run through.  I had previously drilled and tapped the ends to accept 5/16" bolts to hold the mirrors on.  That works MUCH better than using the expanding aluminum sleeves that come with internally mounted bar end mirrors.

I drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole into the weights.  I did this while the weights were positioned inside the handlebar so that both the handlebar and weights have lined up, matching screw threads.

I ran a 1/4" headless set screw through the bars and into the weights.  I screwed them in til they were flush so as not to interfere with the grip/throttle sleeve.  You can see the channel for the wires.  

I thought about welding the weights in the bar, similar to the stock drag bar method, but decided to go with the headless screws so I could remove the weights if needed.  

Next, I took a washer and made an opening in it for the wire.  I used JB Weld to attach it to the bar end weights.  The washer acts as a spacer for the wire.  

Here I put pressure on the new wire spacer while the JB Weld cures.  You can see the space for the wire.

Here you can see where the wire exits the bottom of the bar. I took this pic when I first started running the wires.  I'll run the wires through the existing wiring covers for a nice, clean look.

The wire has protective heat shrink tubing throughout the section that runs through the bars.  I also rounded all metal edges that the wire comes in contact with.  I thought about doing the hollow threaded rod in place of the bolt but the solid bolt is stronger and gives me more flexibility for attaching things to the bar ends.    

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 02/13/09 at 09:23:58

really enjoying your pics, ... I don't think I could follow what you're doing without it..
I also don't think I'll attempt this myself... I don't have your attention to detail... nice work..
thanks

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:11:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Custom combo bar end mirrors/bar end turn signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.