Send Topic Print
Minm. Ignition (Read 252 times)
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Minm. Ignition
02/10/09 at 07:53:00

Im sure there is a post somewhere in her but I cant seem to find it. I would like to clean up my ignition system a bit and mostly want to install a switch kinda like the one on cars if possible. Im looking to remove the controls off the handlebars and just be able to turn a key to start and shut off. I would even go w a key and a push button...Anyone with personal experiences or setups? Thanks

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Minm. Ignition
Reply #1 - 02/14/09 at 21:39:24

Wow its a good thing we don't live closer, I think we would get in trouble. Sounds like we have a lot of the same ideas and questions lol. I'm wanting to do about the same thing. I hate all the crap on the bars, but I also want to keep signals because we ride a LOT at night.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/14/09 at 22:05:51

Other than removing the switches from the bars, no one has used an auto type turn to start switch for the ign.

kill switch - most have accidentally flipped it off, at least one hard bump turned it off for me.

start switch - How are you going to start while rolling?  And reach down with which hand to start it?

Turn sig's - I bet you weren't planning on any.

Horn - ok horn's useless unless you have a bad boy air horn as it only annoys sheep and pedestrians.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #3 - 02/14/09 at 22:49:36

This isn't quite what your thinking but I'd love to get rid of the ignition switch itself.  If there's a way I can toss it and the locking gas cap and just have a button and no key needed at all, then I'm wanting that.  I ain't the least bit worried about the bike being stolen.  Heck, two guys can pick it up and load it any truck in an instant.  Plus, I'd make money if the bike was stolen!  Maybe figuring this out will help BigSingle figure out his project.  

So, how do I go keyless?

IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #4 - 02/14/09 at 22:55:14

LOL yea no turn signals for me....wanting to run internal cables on the throttle and clutch.  As far as starting, use my left hand to turn the key and right to give it a bit of gas if needed (would love to turn the key and it fire right off but doesnt always happen) I do want to keep a key though and not just a push button (gotta give krooks a bit of a challange) In thinking of just using a "automotive" igniton or at least a "chopper" setup.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/14/09 at 23:27:39

diamond jim wrote on 02/14/09 at 22:49:36:
So, how do I go keyless?

option 1 - Have 2 knurled knobs made with a slot in the center that fits tightly on the key.  Put the key in the knob, put it in the lock, move the knob close to the lock with a little clearance, mark the key along the knob, cut the key at the mark, jb-weld it in place, leave the key in the lock.

Option 2 - the ign is just a double pole switch, replace with a toggle or whatever floats your boat.

Gas cap (fun) Take it apart, on the back of the cylinder is a groove with an o-ring, use a needle to pry it out (don't tear it up) under that o-ring is the keeper pin.  use the needle and pry it up and the cylinder will slip out.  See tool box rekeying for how to rekey.  You should be able to slip all the pins and springs out and put it back together.  Now it will work with any key or screw driver.  To add a lever, find a lever you like hopefully with a square shaft or hex, drill a hole a little smaller and hammer it in.

Gather all the pins and springs put it in an envelope and send it to me   Grin

Update just took apart the ign switch.  It's the same as the gas cap.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 02/15/09 at 01:54:03

Wow.  Great post, verslagen.  Let me see what I can do with the info...

Big, how do you run internal throttle and clutch cable?  Do you use HD equipment?

IP Logged
BigSingle

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pensacola Florida
Reply #7 - 02/15/09 at 06:41:59

You can buy internal cable kits...only thing that makes difference is what size handlebars you have. They mus be able to fit in them...The really nice ones are expencive but you can pick up more generic ones off of ebay....running the cables will be very BIG pain though..if that is the route you wanna go just get ready couse it gonna suck putting it together and must be done right or you will have problems (stiff movement, slow or no return, frayd cables, etc)

I still not onehundred percent sure thats what Im gonna do yet...

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 02/15/09 at 10:43:15

I had to look at those factors and solve for them when I ran the internal wiring for the bar end blinkers.  I imagine cables would br even tougher to do well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/15/09 at 10:50:44

I'm dredging my memory banks, a dummy cylinder might be available.
I'll see what I can turn up.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 02/15/09 at 22:33:37

I have a switch under the frame on the right side. Just a microswitch off the face of a dead DVD player. The switch itself would fit on a fingernail. I wired into the decomp controller. Have a look at the wiring diagram, youll see which wire to hook up to a hot wire. It even turns over with the switch off. So, you could just use a push button switch that is a self holding switch & one of these. Of course, anyone could steal it that way. You could stick a dummy keylock style on it,tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 02/16/09 at 03:07:23

You can simplify the ignition all you want if you use the fork lock religiously.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/16/09 at 10:43:12

So, now that Ive read it all, I see you arent worried about theft. So, 1 switch with big enough guts to handle the load that passes thru the Igg switch & the tiny little start switch I was talking about & you are in business. Radio Shack can hook you up for next to nothing. The start switch I have isnt visible, so the fact that its a piece of circuit noard, wrapped in a doubled fingertip off a mechanics rubber glove, tie wrapped up to the frame, under the seat is no real problem. That switch carries no load & can be tiny. A microswitch, like used as a travel sensor on copiers, could be slipped up inside a piece of the frame & you could use a thin probe to hit the button. No "Key" needed, but a small probe, so it wouldnt be so easy to swipe it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 02/16/09 at 10:51:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/16/09 at 10:43:12:
So, now that Ive read it all, I see you arent worried about theft. So, 1 switch with big enough guts to handle the load that passes thru the Igg switch & the tiny little start switch I was talking about & you are in business. Radio Shack can hook you up for next to nothing. The start switch I have...  carries no load & can be tiny...

So the 1 big switch acts like the On and Off positions of the ignition switch, right?  So it enables the electrical compenents of the bike.  Does the micro switch replace the starter switch?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/16/09 at 10:56:03

The fuses are 20amp, so you want a switch big enough for that, bigger would be better.  1amp for the starter switch should do it.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:25:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Minm. Ignition

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.