Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It Must Be About Time for Another Plug Replacement (Read 189 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
It Must Be About Time for Another Plug Replacement
02/08/09 at 19:28:11

I've just been thinkin' it's about time I tear the head cover off of my Savage and re-torque the head bolts (I do this every 4000 miles whether it needs it or not).

Well, went for a little toot today, and, when I put the bike back in the garage, noticed a tell-tale light oil spray on the battery box.

Yep, it's about time I tend to that plug (again).

You are looking at the aft-starboard portion of the cylinder head.

BTW, can someone please confirm that the P/N for the better of the two available plugs is 11145-41B01?  The last time I replaced this plug, I stupidly ordered P/N 11145-37401, which was the old style plug with the cupped shape.

I remember reading this forum back then, and somehow getting the impression that 11145-37401 was the new style plug.  Well, it wasn't.   Embarrassed

TIA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: It Must Be About Time for Another Plug Replace
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 19:38:51

You're a better man than I. I did mine at 7,000 miles, though there was no leak, and everything was in spec. It will be at least another 7,000 before I even think about it, unless I start to see some oil. It's doable; but for me, it's a PIA. Of course at my level of mechanical ability, an oil change and a valve adjust is a major wrench job. Cheesy

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 02/08/09 at 20:04:57

Jay wrote on 02/08/09 at 19:38:51:
You're a better man than I. I did mine at 7,000 miles, though there was no leak, and everything was in spec. It will be at least another 7,000 before I even think about it, unless I start to see some oil. It's doable; but for me, it's a PIA. Of course at my level of mechanical ability, an oil change and a valve adjust is a major wrench job. Cheesy

However, it takes me about 2 1/2 years to log those 4000 miles.  I average about 25,000 motorcycle miles a year (I don't own a cage), but only about 1500 of those are on my Savage.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/08/09 at 20:08:51

Ah, I see. I've had mine since May, and have about 7500 on the odometer. Own 1 cage, but it's primarily the wife's car. I only use it in bad weather.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/08/09 at 20:12:21

& Ive never retorqued the head. I was gonna when I did the cam chain, but was nearly done puptting it back together when I remembered. Next time I start in on anything with intentions of doing more than 1 thing, I will make a note. Well, IF I remember I will..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/08/09 at 22:16:16

The new plug is supposed to be better.

Of course it still leaks.

I'm opting for an aluminum plug with hi temp o-ring.  with any luck, I will be able to make it low profile enough to pop it out and replace the o-ring if it leaks w/o having to take off the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 02/09/09 at 03:56:27

Where are you going to get the metal plug?  I am facing this and would like to put in the best thing I can.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/09/09 at 07:10:05

The 1st one I'll have made (it's great to work where things are made)
Then I'll try myself, or get a small batch professionally run.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 02/09/09 at 19:55:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/08/09 at 20:12:21:
& Ive never retorqued the head.....

You obviously live a cleaner life than I do.  If I were to tempt the gods in such a fashion I'd have blown a head gasket long ago!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/09/09 at 20:35:45

OHH Yes, I am obviously loved by All!  Grin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 02/10/09 at 06:33:03

I think it is odd that Suzuki, known for making high-performance motorcycles, designed an engine that requires the head bolts to be re-torqued. It isn't something new, as my 1983 Suzuki Tempter also required head bolt retorquing. It, too, required removal of the head cover to do the job. The Savage is worse, because in some cases it is said to require removal of the engine to get the cover off. Anybody ever retorque the head bolts on a Briggs & Stratton engine?

Guess it could be worse. It is said that valve adjustment is a $900 shop charge for a Harley V-rod, because it also requires removing the engine from the frame for access.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 02/10/09 at 09:59:06

verslagen1 wrote on 02/09/09 at 07:10:05:
The 1st one I'll have made (it's great to work where things are made)
Then I'll try myself, or get a small batch professionally run.

Make sure it's a tight fit.  And maybe make it for 2 o-rings.   The one I had made by my machinist friend was a bit loose.     It used one fat o-ring.   After around 4K miles, the o-ring started to let oil by.   It looks like the o-ring started to flatten out.  It was a medium high temp o-ring.  I think it may not have liked being so close to the exhaust port........       Maybe you should do a temp reading on the area so you know what temp o-ring to buy.  

Also, the plug opening on my '01 head was cut deeper than the '87 head I got (to fix bad cam journal on th e'01)  

I replaced the metal plug with the new style plug but added a spring to to the top to have it pushed down.  2 K miles no leaks......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #12 - 02/11/09 at 20:03:38

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 02/10/09 at 09:59:06:
......I replaced the metal plug with the new style plug but added a spring to to the top to have it pushed down.  2 K miles no leaks......  

T,

Interesting idea, I just might have to try that!    Smiley

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 16:59:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It Must Be About Time for Another Plug Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.