Send Topic Print
Here's my story.... (Read 101 times)
Bonepile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Here's my story....
02/08/09 at 18:56:27

Hello all. First off let me say you guys and gals are awesome on here!I stumbled onto this site when researching a bike I never heard of; a Suzuki Savage???
I'm 43 and got my first bike at 7, a Honda 50, which I still own. Then I went through a variety of dual-purpose bikes. I had been away from riding for 20 years and was looking for an inexpensive start back into riding on a true street bike. A buddy said "I have a good bike I can sell you". Said it was a Savage he bought for his wife 4 years back and she only did 300 miles on it. Said she was just not comfortable on the road. He said it was an '87 with 10k miles for $1500. When I walked in his garage I was amazed! What a sweet lookin' bike. Perfect shape cosmetically, beautiful chrome and dark purple/blue paint. For the 1-2k price range I was working in, it was hands down the best bike I looked at. It had been awhile since on any street bike, but I was impressed with the torque and ease of ride. I rode one season and did about 2k miles late last summer.
Now the bad news: I'm at 12k miles and I think I have been overcome with all the ailments I've read about on here. I have the oil leak going on, and I hear a rattle on the right side of the motor when I rev the throttle. Dealership said it was the timing chain...probably a $500 bill he said. Do you guys think it's the cam chain I've read about? The third bothersome issue is 3 times last fall the bike shut off at highway speed, all on hard uphill climbs at 60 mph on 4 lane road. Seemed like a fuel problem cause she started back up.
Do you Savage experts think I'm looking at a complete motor overhaul? Sure am chompin' to get her out this spring, but I know I have some serious mechanical issues to remedy first.
Sorry for rambling. Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Here's my story....
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 19:42:17

Given the age and milage, shutting off on hard climbs sounds like a fuel issue; the petcock might be at fault, or simply vacumn hose no longer air tight. Milage is right for timing chain, you might want to get in on the group order.  good luck sorting it out.  What else ya gonna do when you are up to your hips in snow.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 02/08/09 at 19:51:54

Just wanted to say "Howdy", and assure you that you are in the right place.
My mechanical ability won't help you much, but I will say make good use of the "search" feature on this site; and don't forget to check out the technical section. When searching, be sure to choose 'all posts'.
At 12k, it may be about right for a cam chain tensioner. Plenty here have pulled the cover off to check the tensioner, and there are step by step how-to's on this site. The CD may also be a good investment too. With all the potential for catostrophic failure, it wouldn't be unwise, for the price of the gasket, to pull the cover and have a look.
The oil leak has been covered plenty in here, and the tech section has a great how to on that. The stall at speed sounds like a fuel problem, but there a plenty of experts here that can help you far better than I. Do you have a Clymer's? I highly recommend one.
Sorry I can't be more help to you. I wish you the best. Sit tight. Good folks on this site. Help is on the way.
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/08/09 at 19:55:49

I have the oil leak going on, and I hear a rattle on the right side of the motor when I rev the throttle. Dealership said it was the timing chain...probably a $500 bill he said. Do you guys think it's the cam chain I've read about?

You can check the cam chain while you go after that oiol leak. Might as well have the chain & gasket & sealer, because you will need it, later if not now.But paying someone to do that cam chain is just way crazee unless you are just wealthy.Its not very technical to do it yourself. Only a couple of BearTraps to watch for. The $$ you spend on tolls is nothing compared to the repair bill.

The third bothersome issue is 3 times last fall the bike shut off at highway speed, all on hard uphill climbs at 60 mph on 4 lane road. Seemed like a fuel problem cause she started back up.

Shut Off? Just running along, delivering full power & CLICK, shut off, or slugging up the hill, slowing & bucking? Details matter on this kind of problem.Might be electrical, but why just uphill? If it started bucking & chugging, like when it runs out of gas on level ground, then look at the carb issue. OHHH Hey! Maybe lost vacuum to open the petcock?

Do you Savage experts think I'm looking at a complete motor overhaul?
Not with so few miles you arent, unless you just picked up one of the very few that just fall apart. These are a lot like the old early 70's Mavericks, just keep on going, not real fast & flashy, just keepin on ,

Sure am chompin' to get her out this spring, but I know I have some serious mechanical issues to remedy first.
I doubt you need the cam chain so early, unless someone didnt change oil or something.The oil leak is not so tough to fix. I hear theres someone working on a metal plug w/ O-ring seal. That would sure be a sweet answer. No Goo to glop on it, would never leak,,

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.   [/quote]

Okay, heres the advice, get a book, round up some tools. Look the project over careful;ly, develop a plan & go for it. Stub your toe or just want confirmation that you are going right, get in here & ask..

Welcome to the forum

While I was typing my response, these guys posted & I see TRippah is pointing to the petcock. Vacuum is decreased at full throttle so maybe thats why it fell down.

But, If you just hit the starter & it fired back up, then I guess the bowl wasnt run dry.. dang, toss us some details, okay?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bonepile
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/08/09 at 20:31:46

Thanks for the help, I knew you guys would jump in. As far as the shutting off situation, the bike didn't buck, it just gradually lost power until I realized it wasn't running. Vacuum/ fuel  seems logical to me the way it acted. It re-fired, but I did have to crank it more than usual.
I did buy the CD online and it is very helpful. I just need to get comfortable and jump into it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/08/09 at 20:46:04

Not much to add, here's the cam chain adjuster check how-to

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

and your quitting on hills is exactly what mine did.  I replaced the hose and it got better.  Finally, a year later, it became a diaphram leak.  At 7 years, the auto guys tell you to replace all rubber under the hood, not that anyone does.  But that little rubber diapham is 20 years old.  I'd be looking for a replacement, either a younger one or the one from a raptor w/o the vacuum shutoff.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:15:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Here's my story....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.