Oil temp (Read 289 times)
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Oil temp
02/08/09 at 16:50:36

I've done a little research here (probably not enough) but just curious- those of you running oil temp gauges, what kind of temps do you see usually? I know there are lots of variable but I got mine installed and looks like I'm running about 170-175 after only about 10 mins of riding. I thought I've seen people on here talking about 130-140. Assuming my gauge is working properly, I just want to find out before any damage. Note--I'm still messing with the carb a bit, not sure if I might be running lean in midrange. Thanks folks

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Oil temp
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 19:47:48

Hi 88,

There's a lot of talk over on my KLR forum concerning oil temperatures.

So far, the consensus seems to be that you want your oil to be warmer than 190 degrees F.

Much cooler than that and the bad volatiles won't burn off, they'll just hang around in your crankcase and corrode stuff.

I don't run an oil temp gauge on mine (see signature), but if I did, I would not worry too much unless temps got much higher than about 220 or so.

JMO!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 02/09/09 at 06:32:03

I have heard over the years that oil temperatures need to rise to 180 - 190 degrees F to evaporate out most of the moisture. Opinions vary, but oil temperatures over about 250 F are considered bad, although it is said synthetic oils survive higher temperatures. I saw on another forum the comment that a four-cylinder air-cooled engine ran oil temperatures about 100 F higher than ambient after a ten-mile run, and he felt that in the winter his oil might not get warm enough. Remember that the SAE viscosity rating is taken at 212 degrees F.

The company for whom I used to work built electronic signs. We put temperature "tell-tales" in most of the electronics. These are devices with several temperature dots which permanently darken at certain temperatures. I put one on the right side of a KLR 650 on a warm day, drove it the 30 miles to work and let it sit after it warmed, and the highest recorded temperature was the 195 degree dot.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #3 - 02/09/09 at 07:21:27

Cool, thanks for the input digger and charon. Guess I need not worry about the heat..I must have misread somewhere about the 130-140degree thing. Now I just gotta get the carb feeling right at WOT and I'm set!  Smiley Oh and thinking about a tach toooo

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 02/09/09 at 08:12:39

Speaking of oil temps, has anyone ever used one of these guages?
http://www.motoshop.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AUGZ130000&...
Seem like they'd be ok, although you wouldn't be able to really check it while in motion.

Edit: I probably won't be trying one for a while, since things are REALLY slow at work, just started a two week shutdown for this month, and are only scheduled to work 7 days next month.  Sad

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #5 - 02/09/09 at 10:47:05

I was checking those out. Looks neat but the price and the inability to see a problem while on a ride turned me off

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 02/09/09 at 15:06:21

Some care needs to be taken when specifying temperatures, because of the use of two different scales. That's the reason I specified F (Fahrenheit) in my post. A temperature of 130 - 140 in Celsius would not be a good thing.

Personally, even though it would cost me a major effort in "rethinking" I believe the USA should convert to the Metric system of measurements. The Government attempted to do it, rather half-heartedly, a few decades ago. It is said that at least one of the Mars probes was lost because one group figured in Metric, another in English. And at least one Boeing aircraft ran out of fuel because of incorrect conversion factors between Imperial gallons and liters (in Canada).

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #7 - 02/09/09 at 16:30:30

http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=GZ-130000

Savage40: I have that gauge on my '03 and I only paid $51.95 USD at the above link. I bought it because I thought it was cool looking but like 88Pagan said- you can't see it while you're riding. If you like adding bells and whistles to your toys like I do, it's a neat addition.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Flemming from Denmark
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/09/09 at 16:35:51

No relevance for the thread. Just some thoughts
Well-We use the metric system all over europe. I think It's easyer to rember the ciffer 10mm than for example 7/16" But know that it has been like that all my life, never learned the other system. Soon we'll change our money to the euro-coin, 747 danish crowns for 100 euro. Hmmm Can't wait Smiley. The celsius scale I think is logic, water freeze by 0 degrees   celsius and it cooks by 100 degrees celsius, that makes sense Smiley But then again!! What happened when the German parts and the French parts of the new Airbus Plane should be connected?? OOOPPSS!! not a single connection fitted  Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 02/09/09 at 16:50:50

At least they can screw up in the same system.

A lot of their parts are made to supplied templates.  We made a part that fit great on the template, but they struggled with for years.  They finally investigated why they were pounding on the parts to make them fit.  Our part was to go on over the wing skin, they made the template w/o.   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 02/09/09 at 22:33:21

have a bar mounted oil temp gauge that is in cellsius
highest ive seen was 120c = 248F while at a stop light and was 100F
ambient..
last month when it was too cold (24F) to ride i went out to fire her up to charge the battery..half hour idleing the oil temp got up 125F..
the center sweep area of the gauge has only two values 50C on the low end and 120C on the high so if my math is right 185F is dead center of the gauge,perfect for cookin off the water vapors

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 02/10/09 at 07:43:57

savagedml wrote on 02/09/09 at 16:30:30:
http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.php?page=pp_producto.php&md=0&ref=GZ-130000

Savage40: I have that gauge on my '03 and I only paid $51.95 USD at the above link. I bought it because I thought it was cool looking but like 88Pagan said- you can't see it while you're riding. If you like adding bells and whistles to your toys like I do, it's a neat addition.

Thanks for the link Savagedml!  That's the one I was originally thinking of, but couldn't find again. Roll Eyes  Yeah you can't see it while you're riding, but I'm thinking if your eyes are good enough, (like mine maybe are) you could at least check it at stop lights, or when stuck in stop and go traffic, which I'm thinking would be one of the bigger problem situations for our air cooled engines.  Or am I wrong and they don't heat up that bad in traffic? Undecided

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #12 - 02/10/09 at 08:49:06

I have fitted the temperature gauge similar to the above some years ago. Bought in Germany and in degrees Celsius. Normal riding temp. 80C, highest observed 100C at 30C ambient.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 02/11/09 at 09:11:23

That probe is a good ways from the oil, tho. I wonder how much difference between the temp of the oil & the air in there? Naturally, its a better guide than nothing, but its gotta be a bit of a difference, ehh?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/11/09 at 11:24:12

There's alot of oil mist in there.

WWW   IP Logged