Send Topic Print
can't start new bike! (Read 142 times)
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

can't start new bike!
02/08/09 at 12:24:16

hey all...got a new 2009 suzuki 650 a few weeks ago as I haven't ridden street bikes in about 20 years, thought it'd be a good bike to re-learn on...had it a month, been running it a few miles a weekend to try to keep fresh gas in the carburetor (been cold in Ohio!)...had my first chance to ride today, and near the end of a 20 mile ride bike stalled out in 4th gear...haven't been able to re-start the engine...plenty of cranking power on the battery, just won't catch...could I have fouled the plug? Any trouble-shooting advice much appreciated....thanks...carlos

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: can't start new bike!
Reply #1 - 02/08/09 at 12:33:46

Did you check the kill switch?  A buddy once called to me to go show him how to start his honda and he had bumped the switch.  SOmeone else said to check the obvious first.

Mike

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/08/09 at 12:40:53

Hey carlos in ohio,

Cold does odd things to the carb, you may be running lean.

But pull the plug and see what's up.  Get yourself a couple of spares.

Also the jets are very small and easy to clog, an ounce of seafoam will help every once in awhile.

Another thing, try it on prime, just remember to switch it back when you turn it off.

One more thing, the ig is voltage sensitive.  You can run the battery down and it won't start.  But the starter turns over fine.  Push start to check.

WWW   IP Logged
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/08/09 at 14:03:37

Can 09's be push started? I tried at about 10 mph into second gear and didn't come close to starting over.  I will say that I like the bike for cruising around town - very light and maneuverable w/adequate power.  Did not expect the benefit of lightness being able to push my bike the last mile home.

Been running a brand new engine lightly in cold weather (3 times 5-10 miles around the snowy neighborhood, today 20 miles and kaput). Today was the first 50 degree day.  I'm assuming that the plug and/or carburetor is fouled.  My long-run concern is if this is going to be characteristic of this engine.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/08/09 at 14:40:02

Check that there's gas in the tank,.... Huh  try reserve...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Tincanman
Serious Thumper

O~`o

Omaha, NE
Reply #5 - 02/08/09 at 15:31:54

better be under warranty!!!!! take in and get it fixed  Smiley

Are we gona ride? or just dic around all day?
  IP Logged
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/08/09 at 15:45:16

Call me a moron if you wish.  Tank is bone dry.  In my defense, the salesmen told me the mechanics would fill the tank as part of checking out the bike , and as it only has 40 miles on it I assumed....  In the meantime, what's with the plug placement? - it is under the tank - do I have to pull the gas tank to mess with  the plug or is their some specialty wrench that can get on it otherwise...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/08/09 at 15:53:23

Until you do the plug door mod on the head chrome you'll be pulling the tank to access the plug. Remember, once it has some miles on it, the plug sits down in a low point & can catch dirt that can fall into the bore when the plug is pulled. Blowing it out with compressed air is a good idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 02/08/09 at 15:54:55

Congratulations!,... you're ahead of the learning curve....first tankful, and you already know what it feels like to run out of gas... Grin  Just funnin' ya'...

Yes you have to pull the tank to check the plug because of those stupid "decorative" chrome covers on the head.... I say chuck'em....  
That's what I did.... looks more like an engine now....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 02/08/09 at 15:55:21

You will need to pull the tank to get to the plug, get a Clymer's manual or a Suzuki Service manual to show how. When you pull the tank watch out for the little rubber seal on the speedometer cable, if you drop it it will disappear never to be found again.  Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/08/09 at 16:11:51

First make sure u are not running low on gas...turn the knob on reserve and try it again..It might be that simple..than check for the rest!

IP Logged
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/08/09 at 16:16:32

Cool forum! Thanks for the feedback. carlos

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/08/09 at 16:17:17

Id just put gas in it & get it started befoe adding any more variables.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 02/08/09 at 16:36:32

Yup, put gas in it, if it runs then ride it. If not then work on it. Let's not put the cart in front of the horse.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 18:27:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › can't start new bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.