Oil Usage (Read 113 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Oil Usage
02/06/09 at 17:44:20

I have been running my bike quite a bit in the 65-75 range lately, and I have noticed that the bike has started using oil. (In the last approximately 2000 miles, I have had to add about a half a quart.)  There is no oil on the ground, and no blue smoke coming from the tail pipe that I can see.  More importantly, my mileage has not gone down significantly.  I am 300 pounds, and usually get 50-55 mpg. (Serowbot tells me that he regularly gets 60, but I am twice his size, so I am happy.)  Lately, it has been closer to 50 than 55.

My question is this, "Is this normal oil consumption for an air cooled single running in this speed range?"  I am especially interested in hearing from those of you who regularly commute at the 65-75 speed range.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Oil Usage
Reply #1 - 02/06/09 at 21:01:45

Hi Gerald,

Mine (see signature) burns no oil that I can tell, but I rarely ride it faster than 65 mph.

However, I wouldn't worry about burning a quart every 4000 miles if I were you.

Ride safe!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/07/09 at 00:51:57

Mine leaks a bit at the clutch arm thru the case, but not bad. So, I am always losing some, But, it starts using oil once I get around 2,000 miles or so on it. Change oil & it slows considerably.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 02/07/09 at 01:54:15

Mine used no oil until I went to the mountains on it and flogged it some.  Now it uses a half quart between changes.   Very mild rubber cap seal leak at the head, really sort of intermittent.  Not enough coming out of the engine that way to account for the oil added periodically.

I have noted Justin's point -- get some age on it and the oil acts more mobile and exits the engine "more".

Having seen several scuffed piston pics from high mileage tear downs, I am beginning to think I have a very mild case of piston scuffitus with the accompanying freeziusoilringius.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 02/08/09 at 11:08:01

my 06 uses more at highway speeds than round town, never more than half a quart between oil changes..13k on the od

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:25:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Usage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.