Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
lost key (Read 216 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Re: lost key
Reply #15 - 02/06/09 at 00:48:49

If you try bypassing it you will have to break the insulating on the back of the ign switch and you will need a pile of fuses because the fuses will keep blowing until you get it right, it is a very final solution that I personally would be very loathe to try

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/06/09 at 00:52:11

Well, I woulda thought it would be pretty straight forward. But, I havent tried, so, if someone else knows, the Il; shaddupp..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #17 - 02/06/09 at 01:24:43

An after thought after checking it out. To save breaking the insulation on the back of the ign switch use  needles to pierce the insulation on the wires at the back of the switch Undecided

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #18 - 02/06/09 at 03:09:07

When I lost my ingnition key I took the ignition off and took it to a locksmith who made me a new one in about 30 minutes and cost me 35.00 dollars, easy peasy.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #19 - 02/06/09 at 05:57:09

There was a key set on EBay a few days ago for $50... Included everything you'd need to re-key the bike.

Besides that... Take your VIN # to the dealer and maybe the can cut one off of that. I've done that with my cars in the past.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 02/06/09 at 07:05:11

You have already figured out your first mistake - not having a duplicate made when you had the chance.

Find a friend with a pickup or a trailer. Take the bike to your favorite locksmith or to a more friendly dealership and have a key made. Then have another made, so you'll have a spare.

I think it was poor design on Suzuki's part, but the fork lock uses a different key than the ignition. When I bought my bike the dealership was unable to locate the fork lock keys. They said they couldn't cut a new key from the numbers, so they just replaced the whole lock and keys under warranty.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #21 - 02/06/09 at 18:55:34

If you want to try hotwiring your bike to get it home try this.  Find the green connector about 1 foot from the igintion switch.  I believe it is under the seat if I remember correctly (my bike is completely torn down)  Disconnect it and focus on the connector attached to the wiring harness not the end on the switch.  Now the Red wire with the black tracer is the hot wire coming from the fuse box and battery.  It is live all the time.  Jump from that to the orange wire.  On suzukis the orange is always switched hot (meaning it is made hot by the switch).  This should give you power to all systems to start and run the bike.  Note you will not have power to the tail light   It is powered by a brown wire which again is switched auxilaryt on a suzuki.  That is powered (if you feel the need) by jumping from the gray wire to the brown wire.  The gray goes live when the orange does.

NOW NOTE ALL THE WIRES DISCUSSED ARE NOW HOT AND YOUR FRAME IS GROUND.  YOU MUST USE INSULATED WIRES OR KEEP THEM AWAY FROM ANY FRAME OR ENGINE SURFACE OR YOU RISK A DIRECT SHORT THAT WILL MOST LIKELY BLOW A FUSE AND YOU WILL BE DEAD IN THE WATER AGAIN.

If you have any questions on this feel free to consult your wiring diagram in your manual.  you will find the ignition switch is pretty basic on suzukis and they haven't changed in years.  I actually put an ignition switch from a 1976 GT250 on my GSX-R1100  streetfighter due to size constraints in the custom build and it works great.  

Basically the  on position ties the red/black to the orange and the gray to the brown.  The park position ties the red to the brown.  This all there is to the switches.

good luck!

WWW   IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #22 - 02/06/09 at 23:33:13

EXCELLENT! EXCELENT!! bit of info, COULD IT BE SAVED IN THE TEC. SECTION???, it would be worth practicing this and carrying a couple of short bits of wire if you'r on a long haul just to be on the safe side

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:22:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lost key

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.