Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
150 dollar 87 rescue with cam journal wear (Read 425 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 150 dollar 87 rescue with cam journal wear
Reply #15 - 02/11/09 at 03:31:52

There are no numbers -- you jack the clearance open in a random fashion with whatever sealant goop you chose to put between the cover and the head.

Normal auto clearance numbers range from .0005" to .0015" as a total service range.   Auto considers .002" (a number I have read on this site at least once) to be totally worn out.

Our "good" oil pressures as reported are consistent with .0015"-.002" clearance gaps using oil loss figures tossed around by auto guys who have enough experience to say what sort of oil pressure can be maintained by a certain clearance gap.  BUT they are talking a bigger engine with a stronger higher pressure available oil pump and a water controlled maximum temperature range.   We are not so lucky.

People with partially trashed head journal bearings should maybe switch to thicker oils?

=============  back to the trick =======

I would also grease the adjacent head surfaces as well as the cam shaft.  The only place you want the epoxy to stick to is the journals themselves -- this will aid you in clean up.    Me, I think you are going to have to sand the epoxied journal some to get the exact right clearance amount.

As far as "jamming & sticking it all together", the pioneers of this trick didn't mention this as an issue they saw -- but they didn't really say all that much anyway.

A way to keep this from possibly happening is to do it one journal half at a time.   Epoxy only one journal half, grease everything else, put it together, let it set --- clean it up good , epoxy the second half and grease everything else, clamp it up and let it set a second 48 hours.

This takes twice as long but absolutely prevents you from having the potential for the feared "lock it all up" effect.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Chief Gunner

0 - 60 "When I
darn Well Feel Like
It"

Chesapeake, VA
Reply #16 - 02/11/09 at 15:35:13

I like the one half at a time idea. Will likely have to do some light sanding/polishing afterwards but it would be worth it. Time is not an issue right now, Navy has me so busy I'm only getting an hour every other day with it. Besides, I have other parts out getting painted and ceramic coated. That hook-up I do have.

'87 Savage, Got more invested in beer and paint then I paid for the bike. Figure that surely makes it mine!
  IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #17 - 02/11/09 at 17:12:26

Chief: Any chance you picked that $150 '87 up in Chesapeake, Va.?

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 02/11/09 at 21:53:24

Time is not an issue right now, Navy has me so busy I'm only getting an hour every other day with it. Besides, I have other parts out getting painted and ceramic coated. That hook-up I do have.

Dang, man, seems that just setting up & applying the goo to one segment would take an hour or more.
Are you gonna mask any of it off in there or judiciously apply an oil?Both?
The teflon tape idea sounds like a real good one. If they make it wider than 1/2" Id want some. Heck, Id want a selection of it.A good sharp Xacto to cut it off, or maybe scissors. I wish you the best. Heckuva neat project you got going.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/13/09 at 22:57:55

Hi guys

I J.B.Welded my cam bearing about 8000 miles ago.  I only did the bottom half thinking the pull of the cam chain coused most of the wear.  And the more distance between cam chain pullies the better in this case.

The clatter coming from the head was so bad I couldn't take it anymore...it was inbarrassing to pull up sounding like a thrasshing machine.

I use two quarts of oil and a pint of STP. and change on the 5000 mile mark,  yea the STP put an end to the Wheeles but thats OK.

No I haven't had it back apart yet , but if it ever gets to rattling again I'll check  it out in short order.

Works for me !!!      Good luck with yours!

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #20 - 02/15/09 at 10:16:29

I would think that a layer of clingwrap or saranwrap would be better than teflon tape for protecting the journals from the JB weld. Most teflon tape is pretty thick and would increase the clearance of the repair. I haven't miked out clingwrap but I'll bet it is only a few thousands thick. Take pictures no matter what you do

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 02/15/09 at 10:44:47

Ed L. wrote on 02/15/09 at 10:16:29:
I would think that a layer of clingwrap or saranwrap would be better than teflon tape for protecting the journals from the JB weld. Most teflon tape is pretty thick and would increase the clearance of the repair. I haven't miked out clingwrap but I'll bet it is only a few thousands thick. Take pictures no matter what you do

Huh thread sealing teflon is about as thin as it comes, just a bit inconvienent cause it's narrow.  But not much sticks to it, and if it doesn't, it's a lubricating material.  It's also very soft, easy to sand off.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:44:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 150 dollar 87 rescue with cam journal wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.