Send Topic Print
Just bought a 2006 S40 (Read 192 times)
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Just bought a 2006 S40
02/02/09 at 10:21:12

Hello all, I just bought a used Blue 06 S40 with about 2,900 miles for my wife - I've been going through your forum looking at some of the great info here.  I'm hoping to find some info on parts and see if I can't share some insights once I get a bit more time with bike.  Looks like you got a great forum here!

I did have a quick question in regards to part numbers - I've been able to track down all of the part #'s I've needed (my bike is missing a few pieces, the previous owner apparently wanted to make it look more like a bobber), but due to some odd key issues, I wanted to get a new key set and replace all of the old locks, but couldn't find a part number that had them all together.  Any assitance would be appreciated if someone knows where to look!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Re: Just bought a 2006 S40
Reply #1 - 02/02/09 at 10:37:21

Welcome to the forum!

Wish I had info on the key sets... If anything, I'd keep my eye on EBay for someone parting out their bike. Aside from that, you're probably looking at a fairly expensive solution from the dealership.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 02/02/09 at 10:44:37

Did some searching and came up pretty empty handed on the key sets... The only thing I did find was a price estimate of $155 for a new lockset with 2 keys (not including the fork lock)...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #3 - 02/02/09 at 10:50:59

That's not so bad - maybe with the fork lock I'd be under $200 still, which is about what I estimated...I got kind of a steal on the bike, so I figured expenses like this are what they are.  Thanks for the help!  I'll keep scouring for a part #.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 02/02/09 at 11:05:14

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/02/09 at 11:18:20

What kind of 'issues' are you having?

Fork lock is notably difficult to use, some have said useless and easy to break.

I've written instructions on the tool box lock on rekeying.  And don't think of it as secure, it can be easily pried open.

And while I've had a gas cap apart, haven't figured out if it's rekeyable.  At least not to the common man.

If you have an original key, the key code is printed on the key.
And usually the key code is also on the ig cylinder.  But on a '02 I got, the impressions are there, but no white ink.

WWW   IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #6 - 02/02/09 at 12:17:58

VERY helpful with the part number - there were four different key sets listed and my parts guy at my dealer said it was the 9-A for my year and a non-California spec.  Looks like $166 for that one.

It looks like it comes with a new gas cap, so I won't need to rekey it.  The original key snapped off in the original ignition switch and the first owner replaced the switch without matching the rest of the bikes keys...then they sold the bike without the original lock key or the key that goes to the other three locks.   Shocked

Good to know on the steering fork key - it's $22 bucks so I may run with it anyway just to have it all completed.

I forgot to mention that the bike has a sporster exhaust bolted on (no shield to make it pretty on the join from the pipes to the muffler...yet) and was rejetted...so it's actually a pretty spry little thing.  Looks like about $450 if I wanted to make everything back to stock, which would put my total investment up to $2,400...I suppose that's not so bad for an 06 with 2,900 miles Smiley  Or is it?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #7 - 02/02/09 at 13:06:13

I paid 2500 for my 05 with 1600 miles on it, so I don't think its too bad. Now all the extras I've done lol that adds up. But what fun is it if you can't make it your own?

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #8 - 02/02/09 at 13:23:43

SuedeGopher wrote on 02/02/09 at 12:17:58:
I forgot to mention that the bike has a sporster exhaust bolted on (no shield to make it pretty on the join from the pipes to the muffler...yet) and was rejetted...so it's actually a pretty spry little thing.  Looks like about $450 if I wanted to make everything back to stock, which would put my total investment up to $2,400...I suppose that's not so bad for an 06 with 2,900 miles Smiley  Or is it?

Why would you want to remove an upgraded exhaust, especially after the rejetting has been done?  While lots of folks are content to leave their bikes stock, I've never heard of anyone putting money into their bike to degrade the performance!

You said it needs a shield to "pretty up" the join -- you should be able to find a nice piece of chrome at a salvage yard!

Enjoy the new bike!  It sounds like you got a nice one!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #9 - 02/02/09 at 13:31:59

You can also get universal chrome heat shields on ebay for $20.  It will take less than 5 minutes to install and likely give you the look you are wanting.

IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #10 - 02/02/09 at 13:35:39

I've got a heat shield laying around. Let me know if your interested.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #11 - 02/02/09 at 13:40:32

Oops, when I mentioned get everything back to stock, that was to un-bobber it.  The last owner took off the front reflector, the license plate light assembly, the belt guards, and purchased a frame cover for the left side for the wrong year (color doesn't match).  I'm keeping the exhaust and the jetting for now, though I need to see if the wife feels comfortable with it.

I have an '06 919 that's pretty heavily modded, so this is a different experience for me altogether.  I'm realling enjoying it thus far - my brother has and 80's Savage that he restored and put together...I must say, a few thousand miles and a jet kit/new exhaust make all the difference in the world.   Grin

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 02/02/09 at 14:26:24

I've got a good bit of stuff laying around that I took off of my '06 S40.  The muffler has been claimed by another member here but I've got upper and lower chain guard, fender struts with stock blinkers still attached, tail light, etc.  With all the members on here who have removed their airboxes I'm sure you could get a good deal on the side cover.  Whatever you need, someone on here has got it. Just be sure to post in the "For Sale/Trade" section.

IP Logged
SuedeGopher
YaBB Newbies

Thump

Gilbert, AZ
Reply #13 - 02/02/09 at 14:53:05

Thanks for the suggestion - PM sent and a new topic started in the marketplace!  This place rocks!

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 02/03/09 at 11:08:25

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged